Greasy Lake Community

"The Banner" - 2002 - 2021; But love is a power greater than death, just like the songs and stories told

Looks like the presentation about the banner will probably take place in September instead of August. The nursing home employee is worried about the Covid numbers in St. Louis and the possibility of planning something only to have to cancel it for safety reasons. I’ll keep you all posted when it happens. 

I can’t find the pictures from when we gave Steve’s mom the banner in 2005 but I found a few from the early days of the Rising Tour. 

The first is in Detroit (Auburn Hills) on 8/15/02 and it includes GWN, me, and Jaycee (Joann) who sadly passed away in 2010. The second is it being folded up after the pre-party in St. Louis at The Hard Rock Cafe on 8/30/03, and the last one is in Milwaukee on 9/27/03.  I also have some from Giant’s Stadium in 7/2003 but those have already been posted. 

0C8153EF-7FC8-496B-84F0-4413CFE5D580.jpeg

8FBA9688-3A6B-4561-963D-0D18FF6FC699.jpeg

D2428D44-2C8A-4B90-80A3-8B7B7C2A3BBC.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

I was in St. Louis and Milwaukee but you know that.. and the 5 shows after that

You were everywhere!  I have a lot of pictures of you over the years but none with the banner. I’ll post them if you want...:)

And the middle picture above was St. Louis 2002, not ‘03…can’t edit it. 

21 hours ago, AMIW said:

It is reassuring that hot laker chickies everywhere still keep pictures of me in case we ever get another tour:)

Just cannot help thinking of this lyric from the Beth Nielsen Chapman song Emily : -

Remember we both have each other to thank
For all the boyfriends we're not married to ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, signalhill said:

Incredible memories! My first time posting in years. I went to 19 shows on the tour. Signed the banner several times, including st Shea. Also transported it at least once, maybe twice, possibly to Columbus?

Met up with so many Lakers in those days. soulfairy, JukeBox Grad, Ilan, CeeJay, the legendary BalloonMan! Too many to remember. I have often wondered what everyone is up to these days.  I did thousand's of miles on Greyhound getting to those shows.

Good to see you.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:16 AM, signalhill said:

Incredible memories! My first time posting in years. I went to 19 shows on the tour. Signed the banner several times, including st Shea. Also transported it at least once, maybe twice, possibly to Columbus?

Met up with so many Lakers in those days. soulfairy, JukeBox Grad, Ilan, CeeJay, the legendary BalloonMan! Too many to remember. I have often wondered what everyone is up to these days.  I did thousand's of miles on Greyhound getting to those shows.

Nice to see you!  I don’t think we ever met in person back in the banner days.  I’m holding a creation from BalloonMan in the picture above. I keep in touch with him and some of the others from the old days on Facebook. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, PattyC said:

Nice to see you!  I don’t think we ever met in person back in the banner days.  I’m holding a creation from BalloonMan in the picture above. I keep in touch with him and some of the others from the old days on Facebook. 

I thought that might have been a BalloonMan creation! We were probably at some of the same shows but there were so many people at some of the gatherings that you never had time to connect with everyone. I would love to reconnect with some people on the next tour.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, signalhill said:

I thought that might have been a BalloonMan creation! We were probably at some of the same shows but there were so many people at some of the gatherings that you never had time to connect with everyone. I would love to reconnect with some people on the next tour.

That sounds good!  Fingers crossed that we get a tour in 2022.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, PattyC said:

I’ve been in touch with Tara, the nursing home employee who has the banner. She sent me a power point presentation that she plans to show the residents. She will have the banner hanging up all day one day next month and do the presentation for about 30 minutes. 

Because of Covid, Sgt. Dan and I will not be able to be there for it so I’ve asked her to have someone record it or at least take pictures. And Dan and I will meet with her outside the nursing home when her schedule frees up a bit. I’m not sure if that will be before the presentation or after. We want to take her out to thank her for getting in touch with us, plus we can tell her our Bruce and banner stories in person. 

Fantastic news.

I remember seeing it but never signed it as I wasn’t a member of the lake at the time. I joined in 2004 after lurking for a while but it was the banner that  first got me interested in GL…….

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Who is chopping onions because I am tearing up here?  This is beautiful. Those pictures of those residents are so sweet.

Aren’t they?  This is what Tara said:

The residents were really impressed with how far it traveled and thought it was very kind of Bruce to make the monetary donation for the nanny. They looked at the photo album and banner for 45 minutes straight!

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3