Greasy Lake Community

Nebraska on a cool summer night

Haven’t posted here in a while but anyhow…

As I’m typing this I’m sitting by the still waters of a lake in the north of Sweden 30 minutes past midnight.
I’m surrounded by forests and mountains.

There is a GREAT ORANGE FULL MOON rising over the pines, it’s bright yellow light reflecting on the still water.

In the dark blue sky above some stars have started peering out.

I just observed an insanely beautiful shooting star.

I can hear some cars on the freeway a few kilometers away beyond the woods on the opposite side of the lake. 
Other than that…

Save for the occasional splashing of fish and the wind rustling through the trees it is completely silent. 

I feel like a part of this world in a much stronger way (although I’m now much more isolated) than I would in any big city.

As I wait for someone to come out and call me back inside the house I listen to the masterpiece album called Nebraska.

Yes Bruce… I can feel the spirit now…

This is the way to live

Amen

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 4

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

I have been to Sverige and it is truly beautiful 

Yeah. I feel most people get too stuck in the cities though. The landscape can get really amazing as you go up north

I have been in Sweden a few times, mainly visiting some friends in Karlstad. My feeling of that country was that either you are attracted to the plenty beauty of the vast nature or fall back to the city (Stockholm that is, the only city worth mentioning)

• Like 1

I didn't realize it would be quite so dark in northern Sweden at this time of the year! Beautiful.

I just picked up my husband yesterday from a solo week long backpacking trip on a section of the continental divide trail here in Montana. He's been doing this every every year for four years now. The next three trips this summer will be with one or two others but he also loves to get away from the cities and towns.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, stillilllife said:

How dare you.

Good question! When visiting Stockholm a few times I always thought that this big city was perfect for me to work and live. We have a branch of our company there. And my thought that Gothenburg was second best, especially since it so close to that famous bridge where you can hop easily to Denmark. But when I mentioned the city of Gothenburg to my friends in Karlstad, I only got despicable reactons about that city. Still do not why ....

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

Good question! When visiting Stockholm a few times I always thought that this big city was perfect for me to work and live. We have a branch of our company there. And my thought that Gothenburg was second best, especially since it so close to that famous bridge where you can hop easily to Denmark. But when I mentioned the city of Gothenburg to my friends in Karlstad, I only got despicable reactons about that city. Still do not why ....

Yeah, there's a rivalry between Stockholm and Gothenburg. A silly one. Don't know why people from Karlstad would pick the Stockholm side though...Many people from smaller towns in Sweden are not that fond of Stockholm. Especially the norther you get though in my experience, so maybe Karlstad wasn't northern enough. : P

On 8/1/2021 at 4:37 PM, BruceHistory said:

Dude ..... next time, try eating a powerful THC gummy prior to the listen - you'll be hauling-ass to the next "Bob's Big Boy" in your dreams lol

Brad

Haha lol

Noted 

OK, young @Mumford, when you first started this thread we couldn't relate to "cool summer night" as we were in the middle a heat wave. 95-100 degrees F each day. Yesterday it broke. 85F very little humidity. Was at poolside most of the day and evening. Grilled some steaks and grill shrimp along with some veggies, while the pool lights were on along with a handful of Tiki torch's. Beautiful evening. Wife not a huge Bruce fan, I told her about this thread, but she said if we are going to listen to Bruce it would be side 4 of the River. So side 4 of the River it was. Not quite Nebraska!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Winter here

I think Nebraska is best in the deathly quiet of the middle of the night

But i got to warn you, you most northern of peeps

Summer (for us) is coming - and you know what that means 

Last night it was still quite bright at 5.30 - no street lights and no pink in the sky yet

This time last week it still felt very dark 

Im trying to think of other fanouse daughters who have made it out if the shadow of their father's name 

Stella McCartney 

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, young @Mumford, when you first started this thread we couldn't relate to "cool summer night" as we were in the middle a heat wave. 95-100 degrees F each day. Yesterday it broke. 85F very little humidity. Was at poolside most of the day and evening. Grilled some steaks and grill shrimp along with some veggies, while the pool lights were on along with a handful of Tiki torch's. Beautiful evening. Wife not a huge Bruce fan, I told her about this thread, but she said if we are going to listen to Bruce it would be side 4 of the River. So side 4 of the River it was. Not quite Nebraska!  

I listened through the whole river album, in the same way as I described listening to Nebraska, the day before the post so I can agree, it works splendidly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Always seen Nebraska as a late autumn album, reflecting the lack of daylight on the record itself.

I understand you completely and I relate to that view of the album.

But… when you’re sitting under a big bright moon in the middle of the night… songs like Mansion On The Hill work just as good anytime of the year in my opinion. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mumford said:

I understand you completely and I relate to that view of the album.

But… when you’re sitting under a big bright moon in the middle of the night… songs like Mansion On The Hill work just as good anytime of the year in my opinion. 

Yeah, your are right, the Mansion On The Hill song has a dreamy quality which correspond well with the summer night pictures you provided. The Nebraska songs have an movie quality:

I saw her standing on her front lawn
Just twirling her baton

With leather straps across my chest

Movie-still-Martin-Sheen-Sissy-Spacek-Badlands-1973.thumb.jpg.f70225f84c42b157a6001f47b5db5035.jpg

“A song like ‘Mansion on the Hill’—it’s different to everybody. It’s in people’s lives, in that sense. That’s what I always want my songs to do: to kind of just pan out and be very cinematic. The Nebraska record had that cinematic quality, where you get in there and you get the feel of life—just some of the grit and some of the beauty. I was thinking in a way of To Kill a Mockingbird, because in that movie there was a child’s-eye view. And Night of the Hunter also had that—I’m not sure if surrealistic is the right word. But that was poetic when the little girl was running through the woods. I was thinking of scenes like that.”

• Like 1

And to pursue that cinematic feel, the Nebraska cover picture shot by David Michael Kennedy: “When Bruce was working on The Nebraska album he had an idea for a landscape in mind for the cover. He was working with Andy Klein as the art director on the cover. Andy was familiar with my portraits and she also was aware of my landscape work so she asked me to put together some of my landscapes to show to Bruce. He fell in love with the image (that became the cover) and knew it was right for the cover.”

279.thumb.jpg.030657af6dd68312cb8d672c023644be.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, el sergio said:

And to pursue that cinematic feel, the Nebraska cover picture shot by David Michael Kennedy: “When Bruce was working on The Nebraska album he had an idea for a landscape in mind for the cover. He was working with Andy Klein as the art director on the cover. Andy was familiar with my portraits and she also was aware of my landscape work so she asked me to put together some of my landscapes to show to Bruce. He fell in love with the image (that became the cover) and knew it was right for the cover.”

279.thumb.jpg.030657af6dd68312cb8d672c023644be.jpg

That album cover just gives you the right feeling of late/early year gloom for what you’re about to hear when you start the title song. 

• Like 1