Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Poll: Los Angeles Coliseum 85 vs. NJ Giant Stadium 85


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Stai parlando dei due stand, o confrontando gli spettacoli di ciascuno?

Penso che gli spettacoli del Los Angeles Coliseum abbiano probabilmente l'aura del "gran finale".

I mean the show

 

performance of Bruce and the band, sound of the release, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at the L.A. show, so I am biased. I will recuse myself from this one. However, I must say all of them are good for different reasons. I am certain we will enjoy them for a long time.

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't know. I think I prefer the LA release but that's probably because it's the one I've had and been listening to for a couple years now. But the Giants show is a 10/10 as well. I'd need more time to make an actual judgement comparing the 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LA for me too because of the 'end of the tour' vibe. NJ is a very close second though! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't heard Giants yet but LA I found myself a little disappointed initially (atmosphere wise - although haven't played for a while now) and gravitating towards Crystal Cat's Wembley 4th July as a capture of how it felt to be there!?  I think a lot of the official releases suffer that though (atmosphere - compared to a good boot) because of the crowd level/sound - but on the LA vs CC I even thought the boot had more balls tbh (Max's drums in particular - the CC boot really captured what that beat was like in 85).

Whilst I haven't heard Giants yet (I always order the CD's) I was very encouraged by all the reports of how good the sound was in theory - although I'm feeling that has dipped a bit here now with comments of it only marginally better (sound wise) than LA - which I hadn't been "that" impressed by (compared to the CC boot!). Maybe part of the problem is my having played that boot for over 30 years!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

I haven't heard Giants yet but LA I found myself a little disappointed initially (atmosphere wise - although haven't played for a while now) and gravitating towards Crystal Cat's Wembley 4th July as a capture of how it felt to be there!?  I think a lot of the official releases suffer that though (atmosphere - compared to a good boot) because of the crowd level/sound - but on the LA vs CC I even thought the boot had more balls tbh (Max's drums in particular - the CC boot really captured what that beat was like in 85).

Whilst I haven't heard Giants yet (I always order the CD's) I was very encouraged by all the reports of how good the sound was in theory - although I'm feeling that has dipped a bit here now with comments of it only marginally better (sound wise) than LA - which I hadn't been "that" impressed by (compared to the CC boot!). Maybe part of the problem is my having played that boot for over 30 years!?

I get what you mean and part of the psychology of listening to live concerts for me is that I want to feel like I’m there, which is why I always tire of studio albums long before live releases. Even if nugs ever did release Wembley ‘85 (which is most unlikely) I would never discard my new boot treasure from Jim. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After 3 days

 

Is Los Angeles slightly more powerful? Giants Stadium is better mixed, Nils' work during the verses is heard better

 

Badlands and Thunder road at Giants Stadium are among the absolute top!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I get what you mean and part of the psychology of listening to live concerts for me is that I want to feel like I’m there, which is why I always tire of studio albums long before live releases. Even if nugs ever did release Wembley ‘85 (which is most unlikely) I would never discard my new boot treasure from Jim. 

Yeah and it is an area where Nugs come up short compared to any official live album, not just good boots (where the crowd has also been recorded as the artist has set out to make a live album) - not unlike watching football on tv this past year - the lack of a crowd has been like a soundboard recording!!!  One word - "atmosphere"    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, JimCT said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11363041

 

Is anything better than Jersey Girl on a soft summer night with thousands of your closest friends in Jersey?

Powerful argument, Jim.  I would have loved to have been there. Here’s to you.

I saw 7/2/81 Jersey Girl and that was mind blowing in the sense of pride (in NJ) and community the performance created. I’ll never forget so many fans screaming during that song. Extraordinarily special. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I haven't heard Giants yet but LA I found myself a little disappointed initially (atmosphere wise - although haven't played for a while now) and gravitating towards Crystal Cat's Wembley 4th July as a capture of how it felt to be there!?  I think a lot of the official releases suffer that though (atmosphere - compared to a good boot) because of the crowd level/sound - but on the LA vs CC I even thought the boot had more balls tbh (Max's drums in particular - the CC boot really captured what that beat was like in 85).

Whilst I haven't heard Giants yet (I always order the CD's) I was very encouraged by all the reports of how good the sound was in theory - although I'm feeling that has dipped a bit here now with comments of it only marginally better (sound wise) than LA - which I hadn't been "that" impressed by (compared to the CC boot!). Maybe part of the problem is my having played that boot for over 30 years!?

As the remaster of my 7/4 Wembley tapes is not yet finished, I'm curious if you can compare the CC 7/4 to my 7/6 that was busstop's first show?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BruceWho said:

but on the LA vs CC I even thought the boot had more balls tbh (Max's drums in particular - the CC boot really captured what that beat was like in 85).

Interesting comment this one - and proof that we all have our own preferences when it comes to recordings.

I rarely listen to any USA tape from after the middle of September 1984 these days because of that hideous trigger on Max's drums. I'm glad Toby Scott et al. recorded these shows properly (snare and digital snare on separate tracks) so that the latter stays well clear of the NUGS releases!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

Interesting comment this one - and proof that we all have our own preferences when it comes to recordings.

I rarely listen to any USA tape from after the middle of September 1984 these days because of that hideous trigger on Max's drums. I'm glad Toby Scott et al. recorded these shows properly (snare and digital snare on separate tracks) so that the latter stays well clear of the NUGS releases!

Well I thought the trigger (although had no idea "at the time" that was what was causing that sound) was okay in a STADIUM setting (and over here in Europe we didn't have the luxury or privilege of an indoor arena USA show) - of course, back then, "everything" else (the whole band/sound) was louder too - which again IMHO you need in a stadium setting - and the overall sound/mix was great - for 3 nights he/they turned Wembley Stadium in to an oversized arena, it was great, and you could feel those drums, that beat, in your chest and I love that (I'm a WHO fan! ha!). Ultimately IMO "any" recording should be a document of what was heard in the house that night and if that was what they were presenting at that moment in time then for me that is what they should put out (good, bad or indifferent).      

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

As the remaster of my 7/4 Wembley tapes is not yet finished, I'm curious if you can compare the CC 7/4 to my 7/6 that was busstop's first show?

Hi Jim  can you upload a link again to the 7/6 show please and I will endeavour to do so - cheers (I thought I'd grabbed it but something went wrong on it) - thanks!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...