Greasy Lake Community

Dusty Hill RIP

Just read about this myself.  And was just thinking the other day that they're scheduled to come to Wilmington in November which is about as big an act as we get here and was thinking of looking at tickets.

RIP Dusty.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

ZZ Top were a great R & B band.

RIP Dusty.

Yep, these three man bands (like Rush) will have a hard time play again as that "band" when a member pass' away. I can see Gibbons and Beard continue to play, but it will be the Gibbons Beard Band and not ZZ Top. 

Seen them live three times during the Degüello Tour. I think it was 79 or 80. Once in St. Louis, once at the Mississippi River Festival at the campus of SIU-E Edwardsville Il (kind of a suburb of STL) and once on the campus of SIU-Carbondale Il. On the shit we pulled that night is something I'll never forget and will never tell my wife or daughter! B) 

6 hours ago, JustDan said:

I believe this puts an end to ZZ TOP.

Apparently not....

ZZ Top won't stop performing and touring after the July 28 death of longtime bass player and co-vocalist Dusty Hill. The bluesy Southern rock veterans already have a replacement musician, allowing them to continue their ongoing North American tour that stretches into 2022.

However, out of respect, the band did cancel their scheduled show on Wednesday in Simpsonville, S.C., after making a statement acknowledging Hill's death. But as revealed later that same day by rock radio personality Eddie Trunk, ZZ Top bandleader Billy Gibbons has confirmed that the group will carry on.

Gibbons told Trunk that himself, the radio host reported, with the ZZ Top founder even sharing some final words he received from Dusty that had the bassist passing the torch to his successor.

"Received this just now via text from [Gibbons] regarding [the] passing of Dusty Hill," Trunk tweeted. "Billy told me [it's] OK to share w/ fans: 'As Dusty said upon his departure, 'Let the show go on!' And, with respect, we'll do well to get beyond this and honor his wishes.'"

Trunk added in a separate message, "Also this from [Gibbons]: 'Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, 'Give Elwood the bottom end and take it to the top.' He meant it, amigo. He really did.'"

Gibbons was referring to the fact that ZZ Top guitar technician Elwood Francis had already taken Hill's place on bass starting earlier this month after Hill had to leave the tour because of a hip injury. Days later, Hill died at his home in Houston at the age of 72. Francis will presumably stay in the onstage position at least until the band's current trek concludes next year.

https://loudwire.com/zz-top-continue-after-dusty-hill-death/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Apparently not....

:wacko: I was w....I was wr....I was wro....I was wron.......I was....

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:07 AM, Jimmy James said:

Yep, these three man bands (like Rush) will have a hard time play again as that "band" when a member pass' away. I can see Gibbons and Beard continue to play, but it will be the Gibbons Beard Band and not ZZ Top. 

Seen them live three times during the Degüello Tour. I think it was 79 or 80. Once in St. Louis, once at the Mississippi River Festival at the campus of SIU-E Edwardsville Il (kind of a suburb of STL) and once on the campus of SIU-Carbondale Il. On the shit we pulled that night is something I'll never forget and will never tell my wife or daughter! B) 

You can tell us!  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Flea said:

You can tell us!  

I guess it's not that bad as said above, I have told my wife most of this story. ZZ Top May 9 1980, (looked it up) Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Which is about 100 miles south of STL. Had no idea about the concert until about 1:00pm that afternoon, heard it on KSHE 95 Radio, big and powerful station. No tickets were available when we called, called a friend who was going to school there, said come on down we will get you in. So a pal and our girls went on down, we thought the worst case scenario is a road trip and a good time. 

We made it there with about a half-hour before the show. Our buddy Travis said to come around to the west entrance, which wasn't an entrance at all for this show. Security tried to stop us from coming in, my buddy and Travis pushed him down and ran into the venue, never seen that dude again. It was a signed seating but soon after the band started it wasn't anymore. a free for all to the stage. Which my Buddy, Travis and our gals were elbows on stage, in front of Dusty. What a great show. 

Gets a bit tricky from here, on our way home up Route 3 which at that time "we" thought was the only way home. We go though a bunch of little bitty hick towns. And what my buddy didn't tell us before leaving was he had a short in the headlamps for his car. So when the lamps got to hot they would shut off. So us genius' high on Yellow Jackets, weed and beer, said lets keep the lights on out here in the country area's and turn them off while traveling though the small towns. Surprisingly enough we made it. The part I haven't told my wife or daughter was the girls we had thought that was so cool we were happy at the of night and never left the car. 

On 8/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, Jimmy James said:

I guess it's not that bad as said above, I have told my wife most of this story. ZZ Top May 9 1980, (looked it up) Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Which is about 100 miles south of STL. Had no idea about the concert until about 1:00pm that afternoon, heard it on KSHE 95 Radio, big and powerful station. No tickets were available when we called, called a friend who was going to school there, said come on down we will get you in. So a pal and our girls went on down, we thought the worst case scenario is a road trip and a good time. 

We made it there with about a half-hour before the show. Our buddy Travis said to come around to the west entrance, which wasn't an entrance at all for this show. Security tried to stop us from coming in, my buddy and Travis pushed him down and ran into the venue, never seen that dude again. It was a signed seating but soon after the band started it wasn't anymore. a free for all to the stage. Which my Buddy, Travis and our gals were elbows on stage, in front of Dusty. What a great show. 

Gets a bit tricky from here, on our way home up Route 3 which at that time "we" thought was the only way home. We go though a bunch of little bitty hick towns. And what my buddy didn't tell us before leaving was he had a short in the headlamps for his car. So when the lamps got to hot they would shut off. So us genius' high on Yellow Jackets, weed and beer, said lets keep the lights on out here in the country area's and turn them off while traveling though the small towns. Surprisingly enough we made it. The part I haven't told my wife or daughter was the girls we had thought that was so cool we were happy at the of night and never left the car. 

• Haha 1