Greasy Lake Community

19 Years Ago Today

Was on hoilday at the time and taking the kids to Alton Towers (yet again), day of release went into Stoke city centre especially to get the album,, not my most popular move at the time "such a waste of time that could have been spent at the park", so we had to get a two day ticket and go back the next day.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

25 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

The first album where there were internet leaks illegally ....I remember having The Rising and Lonesome Day on a mixed CD i made before the actual release :unsure:

Yup. I remember taking my ill-gotten booty into the office to play for some co-workers.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I remember being sent a link to the title track a while before they had the AOL first listening thing...and was blown away. I pretty much wore out that mp3 file:huh:. The chorus, the lilis, that amazing guitar solo...exciting times to be a Springsteen fan, considering I'd only jumped on the bandwagon in 99/2000...

Hard to believe it'll have been 20 years next year. Now "I'm 35/We got a boy of our own now"...how time flies...

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I bought The Rising album a week before official release in a store in Utrecht that sold it illegally (a story I told before on this forum). The shop assistant seemed not to be aware of that.

So!:)

The Rising brought me back in after spending 6 years as a sort of casual fan.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

After reading these comments, I'm kind of afraid to write this comment. But here we go: The Rising is most likely in the bottom quarter of favorite albums. Even though I enjoy a lot of the songs on it. Mary's Place, The Fuse, World's Apart, The Rising. But as an album as a whole haven't listened to it since I first got it. 

I remember Bruce on 60 minutes 

I remember thinking he looked good 

I was almost about to get LINYC so i wasn't back on board yet 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

After reading these comments, I'm kind of afraid to write this comment. But here we go: The Rising is most likely in the bottom quarter of favorite albums. Even though I enjoy a lot of the songs on it. Mary's Place, The Fuse, World's Apart, The Rising. But as an album as a whole haven't listened to it since I first got it. 

We need more nugs releases 

I get there is a problem with shows from that particular era but i do not get why they can't throw a few dollars at it and fix it 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jimmy James said:

I don't rate it that highly either. Some great songs but it's overlong and bloated. It's a bit of a phoney album. It was sold to us as Bruce's reaction to 9/11. In reality a lot of the songs were written before. Like the later Wrecking Ball it's Bruce hurrying to make a big statement on a current issue and the obviously 9/11 themed songs sound rushed, clumsy and quite frankly awful (Into the Fire is esp. poor).  I was on this board at the time and opinions were quite mixed. A lot of people didn't like it then with the production in particular getting a bit of stick.