Greasy Lake Community

The Official Premier League 2021-22 thread

JimCT

first firing - Xisco Muñoz out at Watford

they're actually 14th, with 7 points, not fighting relegation yet

Nuno at Spurs (11/4) becomes the new favorite followed by Steve Bruce  (7/2)

Brilliant second half, best match of the season so far going away.  Two quality clubs playing scintillating football.  I need a drink and a nap after that one.   

• Like 1

A better result for city especially having gone behind twice. They’ve taken 4 points from Stamford Bridge and Anfield and will be pleased to have those two games chalked off already. The 18 points which are available from last seasons top 4 head to head matches will be interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unusually we are approaching the end of October and there are still three title contenders, I have a feeling Liverpool will falter later in the season due to lack of depth in their squad, leaving it a straight fight between Chelsea and Man City,, my head says Man City but I just have a sneaking feeling that Chelsea will win it this time around.

Not exactly the place for it but...

I had the occasion to watch a women's college football match between two of the better programs in the US yesterday as a friend of mine had a niece playing.  We got the VIP treatment got nice seats and were able to loiter around areas fans normally aren't allowed in which was new to me.  Now obviously I've never scouted much less coached talent (never mind elite talent) before but she was outstanding.  

She plays center back, tall, athletically built and graceful and the first thing I noticed was she economical in her movements; she walks about patrolling her area and following the flow of play occasionally breaking into a easy jog (that covers ground surprisingly quickly) and then closes on the ball or her player with a burst of speed that is a bit surprising given her size.  As I saw later she has a nice turn of speed but she doesn't flash it needlessly.  

The next thing I noticed was her composure.  Never seeming rushed, she picked her spots, knew how to use her size and strength to take an opponent off the ball or her speed to pick up an errant pass.  She was an accurate passer partially b/c her foot work is very good but also because she holds the ball until she is sure she can make an accurate pass.  She has a tendency to go right and probably needs to work on making her distribution a bit more even but that may have been by design.  She just appears very unruffled and in control of her game.  

She has some offensive potential particularly in set pieces where she used her height and vertical leap very effectively and given a chance she went on a run of about 45 yards through the defense and fired a nice cross that hit her target team mate in stride.  It came to nothing but that was no fault of hers from what I could tell.  She has attracted interest from some professional clubs (her program is rated pretty highly and there is an alum - Janine Beckie - who plays for Man City) but she won't be hearing much about that until after her season ends.   

It was a good match and if her side came out on the short end it was no fault of the back four who were outstanding; unfortunately they are in desperate need of another striker (on of their forwards was either having the worst game of her life or is simply not good enough) and a holding mid fielder but that is the normal ebb and flow of college teams as players eligibility expires.  There was a wide wide midfielder on the other team that was weasel quick with delightful footwork; right in front of me she split two defenders with a dummy and a quick flick and was off and running with the ball in less time than it takes to tell.  So it was quality football with nice seats and if it wasn't so chilly and spitting rain it would have been a near perfect day out.

The one odd moment was, after seeing someone looking so poised and mature on the field, to come face to face with a 21 year old women who seemed so young (and they seem younger every year).  But she is a very pleasant young lady and it was a pleasure to have spent a few minutes chatting with her.  

• Like 3

Steve Bruce: Newcastle sack head coach following club's £305m takeover by Saudi-led consortium

Steve Bruce considering retirement as he leaves Newcastle 13 days after the club's takeover by a Saudi-led consortium; former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca is a contender to replace Bruce and is expected to hold talks with Newcastle this week; Graeme Jones will take charge on an interim basis

Unai Emery was in talks with Newcastle over replacing Steve Bruce at St James' Park; the ex-Arsenal manager said in a statement: "Villarreal is my home and I am 100 per cent committed to the club"; Former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca remains interested in the role

1 hour ago, DarknessandHope said:

Eddie Howe is under serious consideration to take over at Newcastle after Villarreal manager Unai Emery rejected the chance to move to St James' Park

@JimCT, I was just drug tested! :P

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DarknessandHope said:

Eddie Howe is under serious consideration to take over at Newcastle after Villarreal manager Unai Emery rejected the chance to move to St James' Park

From memory when Eddie Howe previously went north to Burnley he quit because he was homesick & returned to Bournemouth.

Is it a case of he's one of the few available so he'll have to do because they can't tempt who they might want,whoever they get is going to be thrust into a big relegation battle which might get worse before they can sign anyone in January.

5 hours ago, High As Hope said:

From memory when Eddie Howe previously went north to Burnley he quit because he was homesick & returned to Bournemouth.

Is it a case of he's one of the few available so he'll have to do because they can't tempt who they might want,whoever they get is going to be thrust into a big relegation battle which might get worse before they can sign anyone in January.

The sale of Newcastle is like somebody buying a factory and finding out the previous owner had let all the equipment fall to pieces and sold off what still functioned.  What the new owner actually bought was a logo and building - in this case a stadium and the badge.  If were the Saudi's I'd give the trophy case a hard look to make sure Ashley didn't make off with some of the more valuable bits on his way out.  

Daniel Farke sacked by Norwich after first win of Premier League season over Brentford

Daniel Farke had overseen a run of 10 games without a league win before Saturday's victory in west London; Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber said: "We feel that now is the right time for a change to give ourselves the best opportunity of retaining our Premier League status"