Greasy Lake Community

Advice needed: favorite concert cities

I am new here and I have a question. My apologies if it has been asked before. 

I have a fiancée who has never seen Springsteen. The sands of time being what they are, this upcoming tour is a precious experience for us to share. Given this rarity, we wish for a gathering of people as committed to the experience as the musicians, an audience that proves it all night.

So, we need your advice.

If given a choice to be in the pit in one
city in North America

and one city anywhere else in the world,

which would you choose and why?

Thank you!

I have no experience in any of these crowds, but pre-pandemic I had a pot of money set aside for an impending E Street tour to some of his more famous venues. 

For North America, I would probably have to go to New Jersey for the hometown show. Maybe LA, Philly

For Europe, Gothenburg always gets a great show, and places like Barcelona and Milan seem to get some great crowds

• Like 1

Of the pits I’ve been in, Camp Nou Barcelona was the best and a close second was Real Madrid’s Bernabau stadium. San Siro in Milan is also great and I was lucky enough to also see an arena show in Milan in late 2007.

Stockholm was also fantastic and I’ve not been to Gothenburg which is widely considered to be better. I’m really hoping to go to a show at MetLife stadium in NJ in August/September 2022. 

If I had to choose one country only in which to be in a pit to see an ESB concert, I would choose Spain. Bouncing as one to My Love Will Not Let You Down, which Bruce generally plays to the manic Spanish crowds. 

One that may surprise you: State College, PA (aka University Park, 2016). Crowd was insane all night long. And, you can't go wrong with a Metlife show. 

• Like 1

Have done Milan, Barcelona, Gothenburg and Stockholm.  For me and it’s always personal of course Gothenburg would be the one I would choose again if I could only do one.  As a surprise Cardiff 2013 got a phenomenal show. Irish shows Should not be discounted either.

Been lucky enough to do a nice selection of cities in the US as well. If pushed would go for New Jersey or Philly.

''I have a fiancée who has never seen Springsteen''

first you need to question her why not ? and depending on her answer's then you can decided if you wish to forgive her and  step up to be married.

but if you do don't be a arse and bring it up every time you have a  small argument for years and years- just let it be .

as for the place  never ever Manchester or  Sunderland as it...........................RAINS!   

• Like 1

I would have to say

Stadium wise: Philadelphia! Great atmosphere. Cool venue (Citizens Bank Park). Always an interesting/wacky setlist! 

Arena: Blue Cross Arena Rochester. A small arena that Bruce has been playing since the late 70’s. Any seat in the arena is a good one! I also saw the Halloween show there in 2012 lol 

4 hours ago, broooce said:

As a surprise Cardiff 2013 got a phenomenal show.

It wasn't a surprise to me, because Cardiff was an arena show, and consequently had the intimacy factor.
The fact that only part of the stadium was being used, and with the roof closed, seemed to go right under most people's radar, especially when the Leeds Arena show was announced.  Cardiff was forgotten about in the hysteria over Leeds, and it didn't even sell out. 

Bruce really ought to do Cardiff again with the same arrangement.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rizla said:

It wasn't a surprise to me, because Cardiff was an arena show, and consequently had the intimacy factor.
The fact that only part of the stadium was being used, and with the roof closed, seemed to go right under most people's radar, especially when the Leeds Arena show was announced.  Cardiff was forgotten about in the hysteria over Leeds, and it didn't even sell out. 

Bruce really ought to do Cardiff again with the same arrangement.

Plus, the venue has the distinct benefit of being bang in the centre of a pretty decent city.

• Like 1

Milan’s atmosphere is incredible. But the shows aren’t always all that - 2012, 2013 in particular. Same arguably applies to Barcelona. 

I genuinely think the best all-round European city to see Bruce in is Gothenburg. 

I’ll leave the Boston vs Philly debate to others, but since the Rising Tour I’d say they’re both better places to see Bruce in comparison to NJ and NYC. 

Mine may sound a little left feild but hear me out 

It is true ive only seen Bruce 5 times in only 3 venues and only one time out of my own country and never in an arena 

But if you ever get to see anyone at magnetic hill in Moncton NB Canada do not let the opertunity pass you by

At the time (my first ever big anything) i did not know to trully appreate the really awaome acoustics of that outdoor venue

Its a natural amphitheatre 

We were about 1/3 of the way back into GA behind the pit

But the sound was amazing

In my blissful ignorance i just assumed the ESB sound that good every where- but no way did they sound that good in Auckland where i was front row twice.

Moncton was very loud - i love loud Bruce

When they first started playing i thought i was having a heart attack because i could litterly feel the music comming up through the lawn beneath my feet - up my legs through my whole body 

I could feel the heart beat of the ESB

It wasn't until that did not happen at Mt Smart stadium (a very nice most picturesque  stadium with lovely turf) that i realized how special Magnetic hill was 

St Pope John Paul spoke there once - its that good ! - Magnetic hill not Mt Smart -( although God needs to  know its perminant residents, the warriors rugby league team could surly do with some devine intervention )

So although it was a stadium set list with  a large proportion of casual Sunday night fans it sounded absolutly fucking perfect- i just didn't know it

So if you or anyone else ever get the opertunity to see anyone at Magnetic hill your ears and your heart will thank you 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 10:50 PM, Dbro02 said:

One that may surprise you: State College, PA (aka University Park, 2016). Crowd was insane all night long. And, you can't go wrong with a Metlife show. 

Out of left field there Dbro02, but yes! I was there too and it was heaps of fun. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Mine may sound a little left feild but hear me out 

It is true ive only seen Bruce 5 times in only 3 venues and only one time out of my own country and never in an arena 

But if you ever get to see anyone at magnetic hill in Moncton NB Canada do not let the opertunity pass you by

At the time (my first ever big anything) i did not know to trully appreate the really awaome acoustics of that outdoor venue

Its a natural amphitheatre 

We were about 1/3 of the way back into GA behind the pit

But the sound was amazing

In my blissful ignorance i just assumed the ESB sound that good every where- but no way did they sound that good in Auckland where i was front row twice.

Moncton was very loud - i love loud Bruce

When they first started playing i thought i was having a heart attack because i could litterly feel the music comming up through the lawn beneath my feet - up my legs through my whole body 

I could feel the heart beat of the ESB

It wasn't until that did not happen at Mt Smart stadium (a very nice most picturesque  stadium with lovely turf) that i realized how special Magnetic hill was 

St Pope John Paul spoke there once - its that good ! - Magnetic hill not Mt Smart -( although God needs to  know its perminant residents, the warriors rugby league team could surly do with some devine intervention )

So although it was a stadium set list with  a large proportion of casual Sunday night fans it sounded absolutly fucking perfect- i just didn't know it

So if you or anyone else ever get the opertunity to see anyone at Magnetic hill your ears and your heart will thank you 

Fascinating description— it just goes to show that photos alone cannot begin to capture the quality of venue, especially a natural one, with so many more variables than an indoor arena or outdoor stadium. If I absolutely am forced to see Springsteen outdoors, it looks like Magnetic Hill is the site. 

(Wouldn’t it be great if we could, just once in life, have a concert with people who come to listen—not have Springsteen as background? Can we find 10,000 of the hardcore devoted who can save their talking, drinking, eating, phone checking, and bathroom visiting for when they are home?)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Injoy said:

(Wouldn’t it be great if we could, just once in life, have a concert with people who come to listen—not have Springsteen as background? Can we find 10,000 of the hardcore devoted who can save their talking, drinking, eating, phone checking, and bathroom visiting for when they are home?)

That happened at the 2 solo tours. Which were before the smartphone age-but even nowadays at least phone checking would be in silence-because they were the 'shut the f.ck off and listen tours'.

I think the arena shows I saw came close too-but they were also before the smartphone age.

• Like 1

I think places you'd like to visit in the right answer. Then, places that fit your schedule. I would rather avoid large stadiums if stadiums at all but that's a personnal choice and it's not that easy to meet this wish in Europe. 

I don't think that Donostia/San Sebastian and Bilbao (Basque Country) have been mentionned so far. Great area, great cities, great food and fairly small stadiums. 

• Like 2