Greasy Lake Community

August Archive - Fenway 15 August 2012

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Wonderful read as always! (especially when reading while listening to the show). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

If anyone fancies an additional read, I hope this is worth your time!

Great review as always!:)

As always, also quite long:ph34r:, but that is not a real problem on Sunday afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Wonderful read as always! (especially when reading while listening to the show). 

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Great review as always!:)

As always, also quite long:ph34r:, but that is not a real problem on Sunday afternoon.

Cheers lads! 

So, about the length of these things. I know the goal for a review (of anything) is to keep the audience invested, and how a shorter read is pretty imperative towards that. Less is more etc. However I've always felt that in not elaborating on certain points and only saying so much about a certain song or moment would doing the reader a disservice, not giving them the 'whole story' or something to that degree. I've said before that I like these things being detailed, but I'll see what I can do to condense them a bit as we go on. I think the reviews of early 2016 shows coming in the next month or so could end up ultimately leaning in that direction. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

39 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Cheers lads! 

So, about the length of these things. I know the goal for a review (of anything) is to keep the audience invested, and how a shorter read is pretty imperative towards that. Less is more etc. However I've always felt that in not elaborating on certain points and only saying so much about a certain song or moment would doing the reader a disservice, not giving them the 'whole story' or something to that degree. I've said before that I like these things being detailed, but I'll see what I can do to condense them a bit as we go on. I think the reviews of early 2016 shows coming in the next month or so could end up ultimately leaning in that direction. 

I, personally, got no issues with the length of your reviews. I'm much like you where I like to get as much details as possible. Also your reviews don't feel 'long' when reading through them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

I, personally, got no issues with the length of your reviews. I'm much like you where I like to get as much details as possible. Also your reviews don't feel 'long' when reading through them. 

Thanks for this, glad to gauge both sides of the coin. I think I've said in the past that these things can also serve as something to go back overtime as much as be a read over release day/weekend/week. 

I've got a couple of Retro E Street Reviews ready to be released over the next week or so, and two of them are certainly shorter than this Fenway write-up, so we'll see how it goes!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

19 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Nice read. Tnx.

Just a minor point, but for completeness sake, Bruce got his date wrong regarding Frankie. He says he wrote it in '78, but he started performing it in '76.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Nice read. Tnx.

Just a minor point, but for completeness sake, Bruce got his date wrong regarding Frankie. He says he wrote it in '78, but he started performing it in '76.

Just looked at the Wiki Bruce page and was surprised to see that he's performed Frankie only 25 times over the years, almost half of them during that 76 Chicken Scratch tour.  Thought it had been played more.  Feel fortunate that I got to hear it at my very first show.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Nice read. Tnx.

Thanks for checking it out! 

Yeah his constant altering of when he wrote "Frankie" always makes me laugh. His memory is a little foggy throughout this show, what with forgetting about the 1976 "Knock on Wood" performance as well. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Just looked at the Wiki Bruce page and was surprised to see that he's performed Frankie only 25 times over the years, almost half of them during that 76 Chicken Scratch tour.  Thought it had been played more.  Feel fortunate that I got to hear it at my very first show.

I thought it would have been more than that too. Bloody hell it really is a rarity! 

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks for checking it out! 

Yeah his constant altering of when he wrote "Frankie" always makes me laugh. His memory is a little foggy throughout this show, what with forgetting about the 1976 "Knock on Wood" performance as well. 

He also says Thundercrack goes back further than Bus Stop which doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The acoustic WST Rain into Rocky Ground is one of The. Great. Bruce. Moments. Pretty stunning, tbh.

I think this is my favorite moment of this release. It felt very... "un-E-Street" like" in a way that I didn't expect that to happen. Such a pleasant moment. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The acoustic WST Rain into Rocky Ground is one of The. Great. Bruce. Moments. Pretty stunning, tbh.

When I first saw the setlist of this show, I assumed it was a full band Who’ll Stop The Rain. This solo acoustic version is just wonderful and as you say, the transition into what is a beautiful performance of Rocky Ground is really quite something to listen to.

The setlist of this show already seemed great at first glance. But this unexpected pairing takes the usually predictable encores to another level completely. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Rocky Ground at 4mins 35secs mark, “I’m a soldier” can be heard that sounds like it is from the studio album version. Any thoughts as to whether it is? 

I would say it's definitely from the studio version.

If I recall correctly, that studio version wasn't used in early live versions, Bruce spoke those words himself.

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I would say it's definitely from the studio version.

If I recall correctly, that studio version wasn't used in early live versions, Bruce spoke those words himself.

Yes I definitely remember Bruce singing “I’m a soldier” in an earlier version. I’ve played it a few times today and it’s definitely taken from the studio version. I guess much like some of the studio vocals are on the live version of Worlds Apart in the Helsinki 2003 archive release. 

On 8/9/2021 at 10:51 AM, Promise61 said:

I haven't gotten around to ordering this show yet (I don't buy them "ALL") but this, confirmed by others also, has SOLD it to me!!!! - so THANKS! 

• Like 1