Greasy Lake Community

2022/23 tour: arenas vs. stadiums, length, timing

Thank you :rolleyes: to everyone who answered with such passion, and positive, helpful detail to my question about favorite concert cities. 

As a follow up, I’d like to get a sense of the informed opinion/ educated guesses about these burning questions:

Based on the demand in each market, past patterns of tours...

1.  Given the demand, what are the chances of non-summer arena appearances in North America and Europe? (If given a choice, the intimacy of an arena is preferable to stadiums)

2. What is the expected length of the tour and begin/ end dates?

Granted, when trying to answer these questions, past your patterns can only be of limited help. As of now, there are four exceptional factors to take into consideration:

the pent-up demand based on the 6 or 7 year E Street Band hiatus,

demand and booking availability from the general worldwide lack of concerts for many months,

the need for rest days for band members in their 70s, and,

regrettably, the possibility of disruption based on lingering virus variants.

thank you!:D

• Injoy changed the title to 2022/23 tour: arenas vs. stadiums, length, timing
24 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think 2022 is going to be the big “return to normal” that maybe we all thought it was a few months ago.

I am afraid this is right - we are already seeing tours that made plans for fall concerts cancelling those plans.

For someone who plays smaller venues in the US, they might be able to continue - but Bruce tours with a huge crew, all over the US and Europe and if this virus situation isn't under much better control before New Years, it will be impossible to plan a spring tour.  And for the type of tour Bruce will need to do, they can't really put it together in a couple of weeks.  My guess is there are already a set of plans  Plan #1 but if........then Plan #2 ect.  

Wishing I will be wrong, but just hoping won't make it happen

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

More and more points to select city residencies in 2022 it seems.. 

I think so as well.

Possible multiple dates at;

US; New York or Philly, Chicago, St. Louis (?), LA

Europe; London or Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm.

Australia; Sydney or Melbourne

New Zealand; Auckland

Fascinating idea. The concept of residencies changes the complexion of the tour completely— perhaps some in ways that are actually better. 

Would this make for more attentive audiences?
With much less travel, would this make for better performances?

thoughts?

• Like 1

touring in europe may be a nightmare with different entry rules and perhaps return to usa rules, some flights to madeira were not able to land in madeira and passengers couldnt disembark elshewhere due to different covid rules and returned to london, who the hell knows where we will be even this time next year, I can see Bruce if there is a tour confining it to the usa in 22,

It's clear that touring is going to be really difficult if the current conditions continue into next year (things might get worse in the US this coming fall). They/we are hoping to be in a better spot for next Spring/Summer. 

While I think they might want to reduce travel/number of shows (given the age of the band), focusing on residency means loosing part of their audience. And it's not that easy to book several shows in a row in an arena in the "few" major markets where they can fill multiple arenas. 

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to book the MSG for a 5 nights residency? 

Good points.

Planning many months in advance when the situation changes by the day is next to impossible. If Springsteen’s people book the venues now, it is merely an act of hope—backed up by the most thorough, and expensive, insurance policies in the history of concert tours. Someday we will find out the complex contingencies going on behind the scenes at this very minute. The desire of the band and the desire of the fans meets the force of Nature. If Bruce and the band, and his fans, were in their 30s, next year would not have the urgency.
But he’s not,

we’re not,

and it does.

• Sad 1

The more the uncertainty (over Covid) drags on the more and more I can see any tour (if at all for 2022) starting in the US next late summer / fall with a mixture possibly of stadiums (if start early enough or in warmer locals) and mainly arenas if fall / Winter - then Australia / New Zealand in Jan/Feb 2023 and Europe (regretably stadiums predominately) in the usual May/June/July period before a homecoming return to the US in Aug/Sept 2023 - one year on from the start of the tour!  I don't see any first gigs until around this time next year UNLESS there is a marked improvement in the state of the world with regards to Covid - in which case I would see the tour starting Jan/Feb down under.........but at this point that seems like wishful thinking!   

I want to be positive but I agree that the likelihood is that shows will be limited to the USA.  As a UK person I'm still thinking that I may have seen Bruce for the last time - I'm happy to cross the pond again, or go to other European sites, but the different countries' vaccination proofs is likely to be a massive problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Come out of your shells experience the world. You only live once, get vax'ed! Show your papers go to a show. 

All fully vaxed and ready to embrace - more thinking about what will (and more to point WON'T) be available to "them" in terms of what they can achieve / commit to and therefore put on sale!  In short - much as we would like it to be (and are ready TO) the world, as we knew it, simply isn't there to BE experienced right now!!! 

13 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

All fully vaxed and ready to embrace - more thinking about what will (and more to point WON'T) be available to "them" in terms of what they can achieve / commit to and therefore put on sale!  In short - much as we would like it to be (and are ready TO) the world, as we knew it, simply isn't there to BE experienced right now!!! 

Foo Fighters were in STL last week 17,000 people. No papers required. No fever check. Get Vax'ed and carry on.

Is Bruce that much different? 

11 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I think so as well.

Possible multiple dates at;

US; New York or Philly, Chicago, St. Louis (?), LA

Europe; London or Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm.

Australia; Sydney or Melbourne

New Zealand; Auckland

I doubt residencies (replacing a stadium tour, that is)  exist outside fans’ wildest dreams. I mean, which act does residencies in any city, except for Las Vegas? And even there, it’s area shows. Also, if the issue is traveling for the band, why shouldn’t it be a problem for fans coming in from different countries? Hate to be the wet blanket, but I seriously doubt any rock act nowadays is (or ever was, for the matter) big enough for a stadium residency (unless for residency we mean three-four shows at best in multiple cities).

2 hours ago, Frank said:

I doubt residencies (replacing a stadium tour, that is)  exist outside fans’ wildest dreams. I mean, which act does residencies in any city, except for Las Vegas? And even there, it’s area shows. Also, if the issue is traveling for the band, why shouldn’t it be a problem for fans coming in from different countries? Hate to be the wet blanket, but I seriously doubt any rock act nowadays is (or ever was, for the matter) big enough for a stadium residency (unless for residency we mean three-four shows at best in multiple cities).

Are you not counting the 10 shows at Giants Stadium in the summer of 2003 as a residency?

1 hour ago, burghfan said:

Are you not counting the 10 shows at Giants Stadium in the summer of 2003 as a residency?

No, since these 7+3 later dates didn’t replace The Rising tour. It was the glorious “homecoming” within a classic two year tour. And let’s be honest: it was Bruce’s turf and almost 20 years ago. Outside New Jersey it would have been impossible even then.

9 minutes ago, Frank said:

No, since it didn’t replace The Rising tour. It was the glorious “homecoming” within a classic two year tour. And let’s be honest: it was Bruce’s turf and almost 20 years ago. 

OK, I took your post as no act is big enough to do more than 3-4 stadium shows in any 1 city or venue.