Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Guns n Roses - New song


Recommended Posts

So the first new track to feature Axl , Slash and Duff since about 1994,  has appeared , played live the other night and now in official format too. 
 

It is what it is actually called in every sense, Absurd.    Based on an outtake from Chinese democracy called silkworms, it’s a sweary vocal effected rant over some good riffing ,  despite being “new” I guess it sounds like when it was written with Axl searching for an identity for his newly formed replacement band.  I need more listens but the vocals at odds with the music to my ears, I like the riffing though.

Here it is anyway, caution with regards to the language just in case! 
 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The song is pretty weak (it virtually has no melody), but hey, it’s better than nothing. Let’s hope there’s a new album coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Frank said:

The song is pretty weak (it virtually has no melody), but hey, it’s better than nothing. Let’s hope there’s a new album coming.

Yes I agree, if they have managed to record one track and actually release it then surely there’s more to come?  
 

But this is Axl of course so who knows what will come next or when? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm the guy that preferred the Use Your Illusions to Appetite ....I knew Axl grew up liking music like Elton John and Queen and the UYL's incorporated a lot of keyboard...Especially UYL2  .... I loved the epic Estranged ....Breakdown, Civil War ...November Rain of course....I thought the sky was the limit to what these guy could accomplish ..... 

It broke my heart that they blew up ....I have heard the live shows are actually still pretty good ..... But i can't bring myself to spend 150 bucks to see in a stadium what i paid 25 bucks to see at the old MSG at their peak.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I'm the guy that preferred the Use Your Illusions to Appetite ....I knew Axl grew up liking music like Elton John and Queen and the UYL's incorporated a lot of keyboard...Especially UYL2  .... I loved the epic Estranged ....Breakdown, Civil War ...November Rain of course....I thought the sky was the limit to what these guy could accomplish ..... 

It broke my heart that they blew up ....I have heard the live shows are actually still pretty good ..... But i can't bring myself to spend 150 bucks to see in a stadium what i paid 25 bucks to see at the old MSG at their peak.

 

 

The new shows have been truly great, I saw one in 2017 and have one booked for 2021 in theory , but yes very expensive!   This new tracks nothing compared to the majority of their previous output though unfortunately. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s grown on me a little now , but it is still rather absurd to my ears.   (See what I did there?) 

How can this come from the same band who wrote November Rain? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 5:57 PM, ukjohnney said:

It’s grown on me a little now , but it is still rather absurd to my ears.   (See what I did there?) 

How can this come from the same band who wrote November Rain? 

Well, to be honest their last album first single ‘shackler’s revenge’ wasn’t very different from ‘Absurd’. Not that I particularly loved that either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw Guns n' Roses back in 1992 in Vienna of all places when I was inter-railing around Europe myself.

There was 100.000 people there and it's still the biggest attended gig I have ever been to. They were massive then, and I thought they were fantastic. It was the Use your illusion tour.

They should have just quit after that for good. It was always going to be downhill from then on, given the personalities in the band.

This "song" is awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 9:34 AM, MacBruce said:

I saw Guns n' Roses back in 1992 in Vienna of all places when I was inter-railing around Europe myself.

There was 100.000 people there and it's still the biggest attended gig I have ever been to. They were massive then, and I thought they were fantastic. It was the Use your illusion tour.

They should have just quit after that for good. It was always going to be downhill from then on, given the personalities in the band.

This "song" is awful.

That was Vienna's biggest concert weekend ever. U2 live on Saturday, followed by Guns N Roses on Sunday - at that time the biggest bands in the world. But it wasn't 100.000. The capacity for concerts on the Donauinsel is somewhere between 70.000 and 80.000

A few pics from the Guns N Roses show...

3-axl-rose-slash.thumb.jpg.3f260a9f920ca567d55fb753df5fa8d7.jpg6-axl-rose-slash.thumb.jpg.cc607785cfd58d757b64f4307e42c82a.jpg8-axl-rose-slash.thumb.jpg.023f027c1e3d5424d6a8f19982f16770.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeoGetz said:

That was Vienna's biggest concert weekend ever. U2 live on Saturday, followed by Guns N Roses on Sunday - at that time the biggest bands in the world. But it wasn't 100.000. The capacity for concerts on the Donauinsel is somewhere between 70.000 and 80.000

A few pics from the Guns N Roses show...

3-axl-rose-slash.thumb.jpg.3f260a9f920ca567d55fb753df5fa8d7.jpg6-axl-rose-slash.thumb.jpg.cc607785cfd58d757b64f4307e42c82a.jpg8-axl-rose-slash.thumb.jpg.023f027c1e3d5424d6a8f19982f16770.jpg

Thanks for that...great photographs. I think I can see myself in there !

Didn't know it was 70,000..seemed a lot at the time anyway...It was a great gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice photos.  
 

Here is a pic from the last time I saw them 2017 London (Olympic) Stadium.  Musically they might not be that relevant anymore, but financially I think they are getting by…..

 

3997C7E4-7733-406B-A210-BE49F417942F.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Nice photos.  
 

Here is a pic from the last time I saw them 2017 London (Olympic) Stadium.  Musically they might not be that relevant anymore, but financially I think they are getting by…..

 

3997C7E4-7733-406B-A210-BE49F417942F.jpeg

I saw them twice on that tour (and I had tickets for another one last Spring but the gig was cancelled after being postponed to 2021). I was a teenager in the early Nineties, and beck then it was impossible not being familiar with their hits. Although I had never been a fan myself, those shows were a lot of fun (and over three hours). Of course it was a pure nostalgia act, but that is what it was supposed to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

December 1991 at MSG for me .... I loved the Illusions so much ...I thought they would be unstoppable ..... So ukjohney posted the new song ....Not because i ever need to hear it again ..... But i hadnt really listened to those two albums in a long time ..... Or Watched Axl from back then ..... i guess his voice was going to be wrecked sooner rather than later ....but he really let me down after that incredible collection of music :(....

Cool Ranch Dressing indeed :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 9:51 PM, MacBruce said:

Thanks for that...great photographs. I think I can see myself in there !

Didn't know it was 70,000..seemed a lot at the time anyway...It was a great gig.

I ride past that field several times a week on my bike. And I always wonder how 70 or 80k would fit there. It seems so small.

Funny story about that concert weekend: On Saturday afternoon Austria Wien hammered Rapid Wien in the Vienna football derby. At that time it was still normal for coaches to be interviewed for TV on the bench during matches. So the Rapid coach, Hans Krankl, a Rapid legend who I despised because I was Austria fan, was interviewed towards the end of the second half when his team was already down 5-1. The reporter sat next to Krankl on the bench trying to get a statement, but Krankl didn't say a word. The reporter kept asking, but no answers. At one point the reporter says: "Mr. Krankl, just say anything.". And after a moment Krankl replied without even looking at him: "Tonight, Guns n Roses, live at the Donauinsel." The reporter, slightly taken aback said: "Is that all you have to say?". And Krankl answered: "No, tomorrow, U2, live, also at the Donauinsel.". From that moment on I liked the guy. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

 And after a moment Krankl replied without even looking at him: "Tonight, Guns n Roses, live at the Donauinsel." The reporter, slightly taken aback said: "Is that all you have to say?". And Krankl answered: "No, tomorrow, U2, live, also at the Donauinsel.". From that moment on I liked the guy. :)

Well, most of high ranked & high payed coaches in the last 30 years have gone through their own whole careers with less relevant statements, I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...