Greasy Lake Community

Who's Still Digging Letter To You

I still love the hell out of this album. 1. If I Was The Priest 2. Burnin Train 3. Ghost, do I have to continue? Only dud for me Is Rainmaker, yet I don't skip it! I think I'll continue to love this as much today as when it first was released until something new comes along. And maybe still in my top 5 albums 

Do you still love it? Never liked it? Or on back burner all right? Explain! 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Oh my, I wasn't sure if I should reply to this but you did ask for all opinions. The bottom line is I listened to it a couple of times and that was enough. I mean it's just fine but it wasn't the fandom re-awakener I had hoped it would be. But my fandom had been slipping for some time. High Hopes was a turning point. I wasn't real fond of the several previous albums but that really lowered my hopes. I will always love the first four albums (and Nebraska) but since then it's been song by song hit and miss. I became an adamant fan in 1978 and remained enthusiastic for years but I have to realize that it just isn't working anymore.

• Like 1

For me it’s the first Bruce album that I really don’t care for.  I have tried listening to it a few times and like it less on each listen, not even good enough for garage work/background music. I love the original version of “If I was the Priest” and find this one unlistenable, same with Orphans and really disappointed that Bruce completely recycled LOHAD into LTY.   His voice sounds good on it but not there isn’t a song that I really like on the album.  It’s a first for me, I usually wear out every album.   

• Like 1

I loved it when it came out - and still do. It still gets regular spin around my place :-)

Lovely album, beautiful songs. It is very open, direct and relevant to me.

Bo

• Like 4

I still love it but in some places it makes me sadder than it did before but that's not Bruce's fault in the slightest- its old man time and the luck (or lack there of) of the drawer

But its the perfect length for my walk home from work

Power of prayer is still my favourite 

I dont mind rainmaker and i enjoy the reworked oldies 

And ive stopped hearing butt train thank goodness! 

I even watched the videos the other day on vero and enjoyed them emencely

• Like 1

Still absolutely love it. It's a beautiful, thoughtful, reflective piece of work by a man in his 70's coming to terms with his own mortality and that of people around him.

AND... It showcases the magnificent E Street Band to their absolute maximum. The way it was put together shows us what a mighty musical and creative force this group is.

At a time when I was wrestling with my own grief, the opening and closing bookmarks were both a cold slap around the face that the world can change in an instant and a remembrance that we do, definitely, still see those departed in our dreams.

Still his best album released in a year beginning with 2....

• Like 6

It's a superb album considering how far Bruce is into his career. Still listening to it fairly regularly.

I was a bit concerned about the three early career songs he was recording with the band, but overall they done a fine job with them. I still however prefer the original solo version of If I was the Priest. Janey needs a shooter was never one of my favourites from that era, but again I thought the band done a great job. Orphans was always a Dylan wannabe song, but I still love it.

The thing I like the most about Letter to you is that there is something for everyone on it . The various type of songs, the rocky stuff, the pop influenced songs, the ballads, the old the new. It's just an exhilirating listen and beautifully recorded.

Ranimaker is the only song that leaves me a bit cold, but I have even "warmed" to that one over the months.

Western Stars from 2019 for me is an absolute masterpiece of an album, but Letter to you is an incredible achievement with the band, and if it is to be the last E Street Band record, then what a wonderful way to sign off.

A four star album in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I listened to it loads when it first came out but haven't looked back at it since last year really. I don't think it has stood that well over time. I have worn out every Bruce album released since I became a fan but this one is a first to not have it on repeat. 

As said above, there is no real standout track that is a masterpiece and the flow of songs is uneven for me. I still very much enjoy Janey though whenever it comes up on my playlists. 

• Like 2

I like it. I haven’t listened to it in a little while but it’s probably time to give it another spin. I think it’s probably a middling album that sounds better to me than it really is because of the turd of an album it followed. Contrary to some others, I really like Rainmaker. Not sure what the issue is with it, but tastes vary.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I really like Rainmaker. Not sure what the issue is with it, but tastes vary.

It's dull ... blinkin' awful.  :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eileen said:

It's dull ... blinkin' awful.  :D

Agreed. Oh wait, you’re talking about Rainmaker? I assumed you were talking about the Western Stars album.:P

• Haha 3

It’s a very good album but I tend to play a few songs far more than others. My top 5 are Ghosts, If I Was The Priest, Burning Train, Song for Orphans and I’ll See You In My Dreams. 
I wouldn’t necessarily skip them unless it was a shortish drive in the car, but I can take or leave Last Man Standing, House Of A Thousand Guitars and The Power of Prayer. But I tend to play live stuff far more than studio albums anyway. 
Had the Letter to You tour started in 2020 as planned and there were live show releases coming out via nugs during the tour, I’m sure I would have relentlessly played every live version of each LTY album song performed. 

• Like 6

Still listening to the album and still skipping over 'Janey' - it works well without that for me.

For me "Rainmaker" remains a very topical song and it's themes of desperation and the ease with which the shameless and cynical can take advantage of that are both pertinent and powerful. Witty too - "Sometimes folks need to believe in something so bad, so bad, so bad" cuts both ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

Still listening to the album and still skipping over 'Janey' - it works well without that for me.

For me "Rainmaker" remains a very topical song and it's themes of desperation and the ease with which the shameless and cynical can take advantage of that are both pertinent and powerful. Witty too - "Sometimes folks need to believe in something so bad, so bad, so bad" cuts both ways.

I can't get past the dreary non-tune. Same with Nebraska and TGOTJ albums ... I need a tune.

• Like 1

Minus, "Burnin Train" & "Rainmaker" ..... as well as moving "One Minute Your Here" to another slot in the song order - I love this record and listen to it all the time!

Ya know, come to think of it: I sorta think he's fucked up a bit this century on song order. Meaning, "The Rising" is FILLED with classics and is a GEM as a whole. But I'm sorry - the song order sucks on that record! Hey - maybe it's all mental because of the way he wound up presenting those songs on stage back in 2002 and as you fellow tramps know: WE PAY MUCH MORE ATTENTION to his live stuff! Who knows - Whatever - I understand he's portraying his message as an artist but, so what - song order sucks anyway and the same goes with LTY's song order hahaha (As if I've sold 100 Million of anything) lol

I think "Magic" and "Wrecking" are solid. As for "WOAD" and "High Hopes", those are mostly outtakes - so I don't really see them as their own. However, they are both terrific with certainly - HH leading the way.

Brad

17 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

l in my top 5 albums 

tis in mine including rainmaker Janey my only not so good

3 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

Western Stars and play it often, great album.

whats that? long forgottten at the bottom of the pile

LTY is the first Bruce album I haven't bought.  I will get it, but will wait till the price goes down to a fiver :P

I don't like the juvenilia and just see them as embarrassing attempts to copy Bob Dylan.  There needs to be some meaning for me but the impression is word salad. 
The three in the middle (Last Man, Prayer and Guitars) are very samey.  There was a good song in there, but not three.
Not as keen on Ghosts as most seem to be.  Rainmaker is OK, it is relevant and topical as someone has said.
I do like the title track, the opener and the closer, and I love Burning Train. 

• Like 1

Boy, what a complex of feeling towards the album and songs. As all know here I'm into Rockin Bruce, this is Rockin Bruce and I love it. Some call WS a masterpiece and thats all good, but it's not RnR! Not to say this is a masterpiece either. But I believe it's his best since BITUSA! And I love Magic! 

• Like 2