Greasy Lake Community

Who's Still Digging Letter To You

Magic sounds much fresher and more original to me even now compared to LTY. Letter To You is a mish mash of past-Bruces that did not offer anything I haven't heard before and I think that's why I haven't felt the need to revisit again since it came out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Boy, what a complex of feeling towards the album and songs. As all know here I'm into Rockin Bruce, this is Rockin Bruce and I love it. Some call WS a masterpiece and thats all good, but it's not RnR! Not to say this is a masterpiece either. But I believe it's his best since BITUSA! And I love Magic! 

Magic is my favourite 21st century album 

LTU is pretty close

Im surprised as you enjoy the Magic album so much you dont like rainmaker because i hear it as an extension from that album or even the wee American beauty release

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Seebab said:

Magic sounds much fresher and more original to me even now compared to LTY. Letter To You is a mish mash of past-Bruces that did not offer anything I haven't heard before and I think that's why I haven't felt the need to revisit again since it came out.

This has been a great thread as all are voicing their opinion, without a bunch of backlash. Love it! But one thing, how is this not the freshest thing/sound from Bruce, again RnR Bruce? 

• Like 2

As a matter of fact, was playing the CD in the car yesterday.  But that was mainly cause we were driving out in the sticks and lost the Sirius signal. :P

But yes I still love the album, can't wait to hear the songs live.

• Like 2

3 thoughts on the album:

1) Ghosts is my favorite Bruce song since the Lucky Town album. It BETTER open shows next tour! Can't wait to hear it live

2) I'm one of the few that absolutely loves Rainmaker

3) The new recordings of Janey and If I Were A Priest are stunning. I just wish If I Were A Priest didn't fade out. Excited for an extended Little Steven solo on stage

• Like 2

Also, thought I read Burnin' Train wasn't part of the LTY sessions. In the doc too it's very clearly overdubbed. We know Rainmaker came from Magic era sessions, anyone have a clue where Burnin' Train came from? Probably the biggest (and most pleasant) surprise on the album

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Also, thought I read Burnin' Train wasn't part of the LTY sessions. In the doc too it's very clearly overdubbed. We know Rainmaker came from Magic era sessions, anyone have a clue where Burnin' Train came from? Probably the biggest (and most pleasant) surprise on the album

According to Brucebase :

Rainmaker was first recorded in November 2003, at 40 Bellevue Studio, Rumson, New Jersey, with two finished takes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce The Boss said:

Rainmaker was first recorded in November 2003, at 40 Bellevue Studio, Rumson, New Jersey, with two finished takes. 

Whoa! Did not know that! Wild it predates that far back, but took almost 2 decades to get released

I was deciding what cd to play in the kitchen last night,was going through the pile,saw LTY but thought no & played Ladyhawke & Kathleen Edwards.

I tend to think of LTY as HH pt2,which is no bad thing but the songs don't seem to gel together the same,that doesn't mean they're bad songs but the it was recorded in 5 days thing doesn't surprise me it has a feeling of being rushed in parts,to me it feels like they had 5 minutes of the session left when Bruce announced they still had to record Burnin' Train so they had to play it fast.

I know I'm probably the only person who thinks this but High Hopes is the best album of the last 3,there was promise,unfortunately that promise was broken in the first 2 seconds of WS,although the title track is right up there in things he's done,as i say LTY isn't a bad collection of songs but it doesn't demand to be on constant rotation in my cd player.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:
7 hours ago, Bruce The Boss said:

Whoa! Did not know that! Wild it predates that far back, but took almost 2 decades to get released

And that some revues said it was about Trump!

1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

And that some revues said it was about Trump!

Plus ça change ......
or "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" .......

I haven't listened to LTY since it came out (I've hardly listened to any Bruce songs this year anyway) and I don't think my thoughts on the album have changed at all. I still think it's very incoherent as a whole and find many of the songs simply lame. I like the theme/topic in some of the songs but the lyrics just don't work for me at all. My favourites are Rainmaker (a great, great song!) and "the old songs". I should give this album another listen. 

• Like 1

Funny how we are all different (but that's good) - seems to be overall a lot of positive feelings for the LTY album - but - several saying they don't like Rainmaker, and then you get the odd person who isn't overly enthusiatic about the album but likes Rainmaker!  I'm one who - overall - really likes the album, and also doesn't mind Rainmaker - the song that I struggle with a bit is House of 1000 Guitars - that line on repeat just doesn't work very well, it's like too much to try and say/sing, and is repeated too many times.

Ghosts will surely open the show when they finally get back on a stage, and I'll See You in my Dreams will round out the evening / send us home. 

• Like 2

Still playing it myself but all the tracks are for a concert show and that's what he had in mind on writing them all I would think . 

just imagine all them tracks blasting out and standing in the pit!

oh of course you have ! One does apologise suggesting the bloody obvious please forgive me. 

• Haha 1

Still love the album. My only complaint is "Power of Prayer" because it has the same melody as "Last Man Standing"... and I much prefer the lyrics of the latter. I'm really puzzled if the two almost identical melodies was deliberate or if they really couldn't hear it.... Bruce should sue himself for plagiarism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This was my original review...and nothing much has changed. Still listen to it a lot, mostly in the car.

So…after a couple of listens about a week early (:-P), here’s my take on LTY.
Generally, I think it’s a strong late-career album, though not on par with Western Stars. While there’s not a "bad song“ on the record and it’s sequenced very well, I believe there were some less-than-good-choices being made that actually deteriorated the album’s quality.

One Minute: Really good opener, particularly in conjunction with the closer – sets the frame for the  transitoriness of existence and the question of life and mortality in general.

LTY – solid first single, but far from being the best song on the record, as usual for Springsteen singles. Establishes the second theme of the album (his reflections on being a musician) quite effectively.

Burnin‘ Train – the first true rocker, nice guitars and rather emblematic lyrics typical of latter-day Bruce, though they’re pretty good. One of those songs that you could release on almost any Bruce record post Joad, but well done, played and sung. 

Janey – sounds like the famously raucous rehearsal take from 1979 that I suppose everybody knows. I wonder if they re-recorded the entire song, as the guitars sound just as out-of-tune as on the bootleg. It’s a good song with E Street all over and actually pretty creepy lyrics, but it’s about a minute too long. That "knows her style thing“ at the end is too long and just drags…It's one of those decisions...

Last Man – one of my highlights. This one is close to the man’s heart. Strong lyrics, catchy tune, once again, E Street all over on this. The line about "counting off the missing as you count off time“ is brilliant.

Power: Very similar to Last Man, classic Bruce inasmuch as it tries to find grandeur and even divinity in the mundane/everyday. Not so well-received on here, it seems, but I’m quite fond of it. Very catchy, and superbly sung. If they truly cut this live, I’m not worried about his voice at all.

1000 Guitars: Where are the guitars on this fucker? I like the sentiment, the lyrics, all that is fine with me. But goddammit, in the words of the man himself, "turn that motherfucker up as loud as she’ll go“. It's one of those decisions... Plods too much, though I understand its placement in the context of album and specifically the two preceding songs.  Reflection, motivation, action – I believe that is the narrative this three-pack tries to tell. 

Rainmaker – strong, not too subtle lyrics, refreshingly different musical approach reminiscent of The Rising (the album). My only beef with this is the overly elongated „rainmakerrrrrrrr“. Not sure what he was going for here.

Priest – this is amazing. Lyrics are hilarious and the recording is just brilliant.

Ghosts - my favorite. Sounds like Stevie and Bruce told Aniello to go get fries from Mickey D’s and stay the fuck out of this song. This is so much fun and, apart from Janey, the most classic-sounding song on the record - it’s got everything a great Springsteen/ESB song needs – heartfelt lyrics, a rousing chorus, count-ins, sax, piano, guitar…and just lots of FUN! If this is not an instant classic, I don’t know what is.

Orphans: I’ve always loved this song and this version is great, but the 2005 acoustic version is the absolute gold standard to my ears. Full band works fine, but maybe arrange it as a real ballad (something the record does not have) in the pace of the 2005 version. The third decision I that kind of steals some potential from the song.  Lyrically, it sets up the end. He’s looking back on his bar-band, hand-to-mouth days and those left behind by the wayside before he closes with 

Dreams – nice enough song, but a tad schmaltzy, sounds like it could have been on WOAD. Wonder if that last „I’ll see you in my dreams“ holds any special significance…however, I gotta say this doesn’t hit me emotionally, even though it is the perfectly logical closer.

All in all, I really do enjoy the record…it sounds like Bruce and the E Street Band sound today. When people refer to the „classic E Street sound“, they typically refer to BTR, Darkness and maybe The River, and there are elements of all them. We do have the Wall of Sound, there’s a certain rawness and also the live element that, for instance, defines The River. But, people, he has already written those three records. He will never try to copy them, and in fact, no two Bruce Springsteen albums have ever sounded the same.  Lots of time has passed, and you can hear a lot of influences that have shaped Bruce and the current ESB over the past 4 decades. So yeah, it does capture E Street – but not what appears to be its constructed imagination and, I would argue, semi-fictional version that lots of people seem to be yearning for.
As I said in the beginning, it is a strong late-career album, but I firmly believe his late-career masterpiece is Western Stars. That one will be hard to top.
I would give this one about 8 out of 10 points (for reference, Magic and WS are 9 out of 10)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

1 minute ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

I apologize for the multiple entries. I can't seem to delete them on my phone. Would any mod be so kind as to delete the last two for me?

Thank you very much in advance.

I liked all three ! :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

I apologize for the multiple entries. I can't seem to delete them on my phone. Would any mod be so kind as to delete the last two for me?

Thank you very much in advance.

Done.

• Like 1