Greasy Lake Community

BTR misheard lyric. Only noticed after 43 years.

The lyrics on the BTR gatefold clearly say, "At night we ride THROUGH mansions of glory in suicide machines".  It even sounds like 'through' when he sings it.

But the isolated vocal version clearly reveals that he says 'TO mansions of glory'  All these years!  Who knew?

Of course, those mansions of glory were quickly replaced by mansions of fear and mansions of fear on the next record. 

Edit.  Sorry, for some reason I can't copy the YT link.  Search 'Born To Run isolated vocal if interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Never thought about it either. But if you bother to think about it, it makes no sense to ride in a car through a mansion. 

If you can ride through mansions of pain and fear then I reckon riding through mansions of glory would be a doddle.

As with 'waves', I'll stick with 'through'. Mebbies he just sang it wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Never thought about it either. But if you bother to think about it, it makes no sense to ride in a car through a mansion. 

Sorry to destroy another long held belief, but they're on motorbikes. I think.

9 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Unless he's sitting in a sidecar ... 'in' suicide machines?

Indeed. But other lyrics suggest a motorbike. "Wrap your legs around my velvet rims, strap your hands across my engines".  And let's be fair, Bruce's grammar is sometimes skewiff.  "In" / "on".  Also, I think in the BTR doc Danny Federici says that they wanted to get the sound of motorcycles onto the record initially.

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Indeed. But other lyrics suggest a motorbike. "Wrap your legs around my velvet rims, strap your hands across my engines".  And let's be fair, Bruce's grammar is sometimes skewiff.  "In" / "on".  Also, I think in the BTR doc Danny Federici says that they wanted to get the sound of motorcycles onto the record initially.

You ride a bike, you don't drive one.

I used to think bikes ... now I think both. They're all out there on/in whatever they've got.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

That was my thinking and I've always heard, or thought of it, as TO mansions not through, no matter what the lyrics stated.  It was a Harley they were on, not a car ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

You can ride a motorbike through a neighbourhood of mansions, can you not? ^_^ That's the way I've always pictured it in my mind.

Certainly sounds like 'to' though.  I don't like it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

You can ride a motorbike through a neighbourhood of mansions, can you not? ^_^ That's the way I've always pictured it in my mind.

Certainly sounds like 'to' though.  I don't like it.

Hmmmmm…….. I guess I really only thought of it figuratively anyway so the actual application never mattered to me. But your interpretation makes sense.