Greasy Lake Community

New E Steet Album ‘in the can’ ?

Hey all! Posted this in the Killers thread but thought it justified a topic (I’m sure there’s a thread for some sort of future Bruce releases but I can’t find it!)

I was reading the Killers’ NME feature this evening (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nme.com/big-reads/the-killers-cover-interview-2021-pressure-machine-3017430%3futm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-killers-cover-interview-2021-pressure-machine&amp)  and came upon this quote from Brandon Flowers: 

“ The Killers and Springsteen recently released ‘Dustland’, a new collaborative take on ‘A Dustland Fairytale’, a track from Brandon and co.’s 2008 album ‘Day & Age’. Flowers says of his hero: “He just lives up to all the hype with how gracious he is and how he makes time for you.” Yet he describes the song as a one-off to “lift some spirits during quarantine”. There’s no chance of a follow-up, then? “We didn’t really talk about anything else,” Flowers says. “I know he’s got another E-Street record in the can. It would be a treat to do more together, but I don’t want to impose.”. “

I guess he could be talking about Letter To You, but it seems to me like he’s talking about a new record. Is anyone else aware of what this could be?

I’ve been assuming that the next studio-album release(s) would be archival (Tracks II, BITUSA box etc.), but saying ‘another E Street Record’ to me seems like it’s a fresh project (possibly recorded during the COVID era if that’s at all possible?)

Could be old or new. Nils reckoned Bruce had 10+ albums “in the can”, and you’d think E Street would feature on more than one of those. Whatever it is, it would probably be released before any 2022/23 tour/residency began as it would feel a bit strange to market a tour as the Letter To You tour at that point.

Having said all that, I had been expecting a BITUSA box to be the reason for a BITUSA tour/residency mark II (with full album in sequence as part of the show) to guarantee sell outs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Could be old or new. Nils reckoned Bruce had 10+ albums “in the can”, and you’d think E Street would feature on more than one of those. Whatever it is, it would probably be released before any 2022/23 tour/residency began as it would feel a bit strange to market a tour as the Letter To You tour at that point. 

Yes, this is spot on. Especially if we consider that most of Bruce’s releases in the 2010s were (to a different extent) a mix of old and new material.

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Having said all that, I had been expecting a BITUSA box to be the reason for a BITUSA tour/residency mark II (with full album in sequence as part of the show) to guarantee sell outs. 

As for this, I’m not so sure about the actual appeal of a ‘Born in the USA’ full album performance. That card has already been played in both Europe and the US in the recent past (an official video performance even accompanied the release of ‘High Hopes’). And even the first time around, the fan reaction to the ‘Born in the USA’ full album performance wasn’t particularly enthusiastic. (With the exception of ‘I’m going down’, and maybe “Downbound train”, that album material has been played to death over the years).  As for casual fans, they’re probably way too old now to be drawn in droves to a stadium show for an album they liked forty years ago.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philipboyle said:

What happened to the new record 'set in the West' that he mentioned a few months back? Or was he confused and was was actually thinking of Western Stars?

That's a good point, but likely/probably/for sure that is not an album with the ESB.

Edit: what could happen then: new non-ESB album with 'songs about the west' released without a tour; followed by new ESB album; and then ESB tour in support of both LTY and new ESB album.

5 hours ago, Frank said:

As for this, I’m not so sure about the actual appeal of a ‘Born in the USA’ full album performance. 

Also, would Bruce's voice still be strong enough today to sing Born In The U.S.A., the song, with conviction?

Also: songs like Adam Raised A Cain, Electric Youngstown, Murder Inc., the end of Darkness (the song), the howls at the end of Jungleland, etc.

(Not saying the answer is No)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Also, would Bruce's voice still be strong enough today to sing Born In The U.S.A., the song, with conviction?

Also: songs like Adam Raised A Cain, Electric Youngstown, Murder Inc., the end of Darkness (the song), the howls at the end of Jungleland, etc.

I've mentioned this before and I think it is an important factor to consider.

His voice is clearly not as strong as it was, and there are probably going to be quite a few songs he simply can't handle any more vocally. Over the years he has changed the key in some songs and many are now played at a slower tempo

The next tour I think will be structured around the classics that he can still do, and the newer songs from Letter to you, one or two maybe from Western Stars, and whatever is on his next album.

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Well, you rise a good point here. Arrangements and keys can be easily adapted, so I don’t think singing those songs would be a major problem. The question is whether a 73/74 years old Bruce really wants to go through the most muscular alley of memory lane just for nostalgia’s sake.

16 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Is there not a contradiction between a residency in select cities, with many diehardfans travelling to that residency city to see multiple shows, and a full BUSA album performance every night?

On 8/14/2021 at 9:05 PM, Frank said:

Yes, this is spot on. Especially if we consider that most of Bruce’s releases in the 2010s were (to a different extent) a mix of old and new material.

As for this, I’m not so sure about the actual appeal of a ‘Born in the USA’ full album performance. That card has already been played in both Europe and the US in the recent past (an official video performance even accompanied the release of ‘High Hopes’). And even the first time around, the fan reaction to the ‘Born in the USA’ full album performance wasn’t particularly enthusiastic. (With the exception of ‘I’m going down’, and maybe “Downbound train”, that album material has been played to death over the years).  As for casual fans, they’re probably way too old now to be drawn in droves to a stadium show for an album they liked forty years ago.     

All the casuals and bucket listers wet their pants in Auckland over the BITUSA full album

A lady i met a week latter who went to night 2 and got BTR was so disappointed not to get it (i know :( that's hard for us to fathom)

Lots of peeps over a certain age had the BITUSA  album back in the day 

• Like 1

I think (as always) he/they will play what he feels delivers what he wants to say at this point and what motivates him and I'm sure he will consider what he can and can't achieve (vocally) from the back catalogue that will fit in with all of that. As for "selling out" venues I think Covid has taken care of that (regardless of the set list)

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

All the casuals and bucket listers wet their pants in Auckland over the BITUSA full album

A lady i met a week latter who went to night 2 and got BTR was so disappointed not to get it (i know :( that's hard for us to fathom)

Lots of peeps over a certain age had the BITUSA  album back in the day 

Well, I wonder if this might have something to do with Bruce not touring the Southern Hemisphere so often. For sure Born in the USA is sill his most known album around the world, and casual fans like recognising the songs at the show. That makes them part of it. So I understand the treat surprise effect for them. However, I still doubt an officially announced Born in the USA album tour in 2022/2023 (?) would bring more people to the venue. As I said, that card has already been played.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, I wonder if this might have something to do with Bruce not touring the Southern Hemisphere so often. For sure Born in the USA is sill his most known album around the world, and casual fans like recognising the songs at the show. That makes them part of it. So I understand the treat surprise effect for them. However, I still doubt an officially announced Born in the USA album tour in 2022/2023 (?) would bring more people to the venue. As I said, that card has already been played.

Or, more simply, they like the songs?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Or, more simply, they like the songs?

Well, they most probably did.

But actually, I was simply answering to Daisy on her friend being “disappointed” by getting full ‘Born to run’ instead of Bruce’s most celebrated blockbuster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, they most probably did.

But actually, I was simply answering to Daisy on her friend being “disappointed” by getting full ‘Born to run’ instead of Bruce’s most celebrated blockbuster.

Just to clarify she was  a previously unknown customer at work

All my Bruce freinds are here on greaaylake

If i had had an actual freind of mine.going i would have schooled them up enough to fully appreciate born to run !