Greasy Lake Community

Pete Seeger must have been very proud

I think it was ‘68 or ‘69 when I saw Pete himself sing that when he played a show at my school.

In ‘73 I used it as part of a 23-minute loop I put together with a classmate, that we got permission to play during each lunch period at HS on May 1, to honor Kent State. 

Less than a year later I enlisted. ;) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Let's not make this one a political discussion about this week's events as they are unrelated to Seeger or Bruce's cover of this song

I don't want to have to say it again - y'all know our position on political discussions.

4 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I think it was ‘68 or ‘69 when I saw Pete himself sing that when he played a show at my school.

In ‘73 I used it as part of a 23-minute loop I put together with a classmate, that we got permission to play during each lunch period at HS on May 1, to honor Kent State. 

Less than a year later I enlisted. ;) 

I won't mention how old I was in "68 or 69" - ;)

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I won't mention how old I was in "68 or 69" - ;)

I will, I was 7-8! :), I think I went to my first Baseball game that year, Cards v Cubs Gibson v Jenkins. I think I still have the scorecard! 

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

41 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I enjoyed Bruce's cover of Seeger's song about Vietnam

Let's not make this one a political discussion about this week's events as they are unrelated to Seeger or Bruce's cover of this song

In context, Bruce wasn't singing specifically about Vietnam though. He was singing it for more contemporary reasons at that time. It's clearly an issue close to his heart and his sensibilities.

• Like 1

Based on this introduction, the songs theme that night in Detroit could be very well about strugglin' citizens. Bring ' Em Home!

17.06.06 Detroit, MI, intro to ´´Bring ´Em Home´´ (following ´´Pay Me My Money Down´´)
´´Oh yes….yes….woo!….they, uh, they haven´t quite figured out how to handle the glory yet, you know, it´s, it´s still….oh, man, gonna send this out to our friends from the Cleaners Foodbank….yeah, they´re, uh….here in southeastern Michigan assisting the struggling citizens, they served nearly 24 million meals last year….and uh….hunger and the poverty in the country remains a national shame on all of us and, uh, the Cleaners Foodbank is out there ….doing a good work on the frontlines, they could use your support, if you see them on the way out, please help our friends from the Cleaners Foodbank….´´

A one, two

If you love this land of the free
Bring them home, bring them home

I remember Bruce playing it in Paris back in 2006 (well before the so called ‘American Land Edition’ of the album came out). It was an extremely well received surprise. I also remember a Seeger interview (or was Bruce himself reporting the anecdote) in which Pete said he would have liked ‘Bring ‘em Home’ to have been included in the album. I do not want to talk politics, but at the time the reference was to Iraq more than Afghanistan.

• Like 3

ahhhhhh mmmmmmmm the Seeger session tour band - please tour again! 

Bruce being pushed musically by excellent talented band members on stage every night and him responding to bring  some outstanding performances.  

loved every single second of the shows I attended . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I enjoyed Bruce's cover of Seeger's song about Vietnam

It's obviously very difficult to talk about such a subject without politics being dragged into it.

Unfortunately songs about war stay relevant.

In the UK news the scenes of Kabul are being compared to the withdrawal from Saigon. 

As Bruce said in the intro to The Wall,they said never again,yet it happens again & again.

We don't need a pandemic to kill people,we're perfectly capable of doing that ourselves without any help.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, High As Hope said:

It's obviously very difficult to talk about such a subject without politics being dragged into it.

Unfortunately songs about war stay relevant.

In the UK news the scenes of Kabul are being compared to the withdrawal from Saigon. 

As Bruce said in the intro to The Wall,they said never again,yet it happens again & again.

We don't need a pandemic to kill people,we're perfectly capable of doing that ourselves without any help.

And songs protesting war are relevant for all who oppose war, including Bruce and I would expect most of humanity.

That being said, we won't allow a discussion about "who is at fault" for this particular situation, nor any political discussions.  We tried to allow that type of discussion for many years, and sadly members who were friends became enemies over those discussions.  We want our community to be a safe place, free from the anger/hate/violence that surrounds us, so that is why several posts on this thread have been removed and explanations about our position on political discussions has been restated.

That being said, the consequences of all wars are disgusting and heartbreaking and what is happening today is another chapter in man's willingness to destroy others if it means they can preserve their own comforts.  If folks want to cheer on their "team" and hope to make political points over the suffering of other humans, they need to do it somewhere else, not here.

• Like 3