Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Episode 26 of Bruce’s Radio Show on SiriusXM


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I still think that there's a large degree of vanity in playing your own songs on your own radio show. Thricely!

He's chosen the theme, so fair enough to play one of his own songs on that theme.  But only one.  Far more interesting to hear more of his choices from other artists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I still think that there's a large degree of vanity in playing your own songs on your own radio show. Thricely!

In fairness, the name of the station is E Street Radio. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rizla said:

He's chosen the theme, so fair enough to play one of his own songs on that theme.  But only one.  Far more interesting to hear more of his choices from other artists.

Yes. And this is my point. He has a great opportunity to give a bunk up to others. Which he does, but are people tuning in to listen to (the song) Glory Days?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jertucky said:

In fairness, the name of the station is E Street Radio. 

Yes, ESR, I tune in to hear Bruce and the ESB. If I want to hear random songs, I'd tune in to LSUG. When I turn to ESR I want to hear Bruce. Not the Beaver Brown Band. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 6:43 AM, Born To Walk said:

I couldn't follow this one on Wednesday, but here is a transcript:

https://www.njarts.net/bruce-springsteen-plays-hometown-songs-on-siriusxm-transcript-videos/

Looks quite good

I actually know a few of the songs :lol:

Always been a fan of local hero

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Yes. And this is my point. He has a great opportunity to give a bunk up to others. Which he does, but are people tuning in to listen to (the song) Glory Days?

He played it for a reason:

And before the "Glory Days" finale, a fitting benediction and some hometown pride of his own:

I wanna say, God bless you and your hometown. And until we meet again, I want to congratulate the United States Olympic show jumping team — that's McLain Ward, Laura Kraut, and my lovely daughter, Jessica Springsteen — on their silver medal win at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. A special shout-out to my great friend and one of the kings of show jumping, Nick Skelton, for his guidance and inspiration. May all of your days forever be glorious.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bruce The Boss said:

He played it for a reason:

And before the "Glory Days" finale, a fitting benediction and some hometown pride of his own:

I wanna say, God bless you and your hometown. And until we meet again, I want to congratulate the United States Olympic show jumping team — that's McLain Ward, Laura Kraut, and my lovely daughter, Jessica Springsteen — on their silver medal win at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. A special shout-out to my great friend and one of the kings of show jumping, Nick Skelton, for his guidance and inspiration. May all of your days forever be glorious.

 

Fair point. But Glory Days is about failure, or at least, never attaining your goals.

Regrets. I've had a few, but then again..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Fair point. But Glory Days is about failure, or at least, never attaining your goals.

Regrets. I've had a few, but then again..

Isn't it about people who are always looking back, and thinking their best days are behind them?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Isn't it about people who are always looking back, and thinking their best days are behind them?

This indeed, about people the same age as Bruce was when he wrote the song-people in their early 30s, realising the best years of their life are already behind them. They like to meet each other and talk about the 'Glory Days' when they were young, because the present has nothing to offer (anymore); their lives are now dull and boring.

In this, a typical BUSA album song -or more in general, a typical Bruce Springsteen song; joyous, uplifting music, dark lyrics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Fair point. But Glory Days is about failure, or at least, never attaining your goals.Regrets. I've had a few, but then again..

...also about this, at a certain age you realise you (still) did not all the things you wanted to do when you were young, and likely will never do, and/or the chance will never come again, and/or you waited too long and now it's too late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

This indeed, about people the same age as Bruce was when he wrote the song-people in their early 30s, realising the best years of their life are already behind them. They like to meet each other and talk about the 'Glory Days' when they were young, because the present has nothing to offer (anymore); their lives are now dull and boring.

In this, a typical BUSA album song -or more in general, a typical Bruce Springsteen song; joyous, uplifting music, dark lyrics.

 

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

...also about this, at a certain age you realise you (still) did not all the things you wanted to do when you were young, and likely will never do, and/or the chance will never come again, and/or you waited too long and now it's too late.

But when you get even older, you realise that back then you did, in fact, still have all the time in the world.
Even at the time I remember thinking that he, and the people he was singing about, weren't old enough to be thinking that way, and perhaps it was tongue in cheek.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To stay on topic, just wondering why Glory Days was included as the closing song of the latest radio show? And indeed when giving it a thought, it is about a small town. "Saw him the other night at this roadside bar" was in Neptune, NJ . "Well there's a girl that lives up the block". And check the video too!. But the key lies in the second but:

Well but time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of ....

And to give credence to that theory, check some intro's from 1984:

21.06.84 Lancaster, PA, intro to ‘Glory Days’:
”Bring it down , boys….this is a song about going out….on a night like this….to a place like this… meeting somebody like that (chuckles)….wishing you’d stayed home, no….

29.06.84 Saint Paul, MN, intro to ‘Glory Days’:
”Let me collect my thoughts….take it down, boys…..I shall return……in high school…. I was bad…..I mean I was bad at everything…..I wasn’t good at anything…..really couldn’t play no sports…..I didn’t do good at school….I was kinda shy too…..I’m not shy anymore (cheers)….well, once in a while….so I’m one of those guys…..that (?) somebody I knew back then…..who was good at something……comes up and tells me how good they were all the time….. yeah…..yes indeed…..and the only reason they’re talking to me now….. is because I got good at something later ! (cheers)…..if I didn’t do that, they wouldn’t be talking to me at all….we wouldn’t be here tonight…..I’d be in New Jersey….couldn’t be in Saint Paul…..all this wouldn’t be happening……”

And in 2021, it is still happening, when his own daughter won a silver medal during the Olympics :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...