Greasy Lake Community

The Official August 21st 2021 "WE LOVE NYC: The Homecoming Concert CNN Telly SetListVision thread

When the storms arrived, nearly 4 inches of rainfall was recorded in Central Park Saturday night, with 1.69 inches having fallen between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m., according to the National Weather Service.

> so not as bad as Florence :D

This sums up the spectacle for me.

“It’s fitting that We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert turned into a prolonged and losing battle with the elements . . . a concert born of a fantasy about the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and burdened by an assumed relevance for New Yorkers, not to mention the event’s real meaning for its architects and corporate sponsors.

“Yet, as we inched closer to the day of the event, the concert’s relevance became murkier. It’s timing felt off. The delta variant made its way through the city, the daily number of cases and hospitalizations ticking higher; new information about its transmission forced government officials to reverse premature rollbacks on indoor masking; a housing crisis loomed for hundreds of thousands New Yorkers in need of rental relief; and a hurricane was making its way toward the city. What exactly the event tried to celebrate is still unclear to me.

“The parts of the program that proved most difficult to sit through, however, were the interludes — the introductions delivered by the likes of Don Lemon, Sen. Chuck Schumer, and Mayor de Blasio and first lady Chirlane McCray. Their collective commitment to an unrecognizable narrative of New York — one in which a virus isn’t raging through the city and entire livelihoods do not hang in the balance — felt particularly exhausting. Their repeated use of an undefined “we” confused me. And the absence of any acknowledgment of the number of people who have died during the pandemic was utterly baffling. The entire enterprise seemed like a way to bolster collective amnesia about the past 16 months, to move quickly past the traumatic events, to declare unearned triumph and to sidestep the responsibilities we still have to each other.

“With the inclement weather came a temporary suspension of the program — and relief. Finally, the pretenses could be dropped and the absurdity of holding a city-sponsored concert in the middle of another wave of the pandemic on the evening of a hurricane would be revealed.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/we-love-nyc-the-homecoming-concert-1235001258/

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Rumble said:

This sums up the spectacle for me.

“It’s fitting that We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert turned into a prolonged and losing battle with the elements . . . a concert born of a fantasy about the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and burdened by an assumed relevance for New Yorkers, not to mention the event’s real meaning for its architects and corporate sponsors.

“Yet, as we inched closer to the day of the event, the concert’s relevance became murkier. It’s timing felt off. The delta variant made its way through the city, the daily number of cases and hospitalizations ticking higher; new information about its transmission forced government officials to reverse premature rollbacks on indoor masking; a housing crisis loomed for hundreds of thousands New Yorkers in need of rental relief; and a hurricane was making its way toward the city. What exactly the event tried to celebrate is still unclear to me.

“The parts of the program that proved most difficult to sit through, however, were the interludes — the introductions delivered by the likes of Don Lemon, Sen. Chuck Schumer, and Mayor de Blasio and first lady Chirlane McCray. Their collective commitment to an unrecognizable narrative of New York — one in which a virus isn’t raging through the city and entire livelihoods do not hang in the balance — felt particularly exhausting. Their repeated use of an undefined “we” confused me. And the absence of any acknowledgment of the number of people who have died during the pandemic was utterly baffling. The entire enterprise seemed like a way to bolster collective amnesia about the past 16 months, to move quickly past the traumatic events, to declare unearned triumph and to sidestep the responsibilities we still have to each other.

“With the inclement weather came a temporary suspension of the program — and relief. Finally, the pretenses could be dropped and the absurdity of holding a city-sponsored concert in the middle of another wave of the pandemic on the evening of a hurricane would be revealed.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/we-love-nyc-the-homecoming-concert-1235001258/

An exercise in stupidity. Way to go New York. A raging pandemic makes a comeback with a stronger variant than before, & a hurricane churtles its way toward the country's largest metro area. They knew the variant was filling up hospitals in the city...They knew the outer bands of the storm would start hitting around Saturday in the afternoon hours but......hey, let's put the concert on anyway bringing thousands of people out in the elements and then call it off mid show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JustDan said:

An exercise in stupidity. Way to go New York. A raging pandemic makes a comeback with a stronger variant than before, & a hurricane churtles its way toward the country's largest metro area. They knew the variant was filling up hospitals in the city...They knew the outer bands of the storm would start hitting around Saturday in the afternoon hours but......hey, let's put the concert on anyway bringing thousands of people out in the elements and then call it off mid show.

Yes there is plenty of stupid going around 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AMIW said:

When the storms arrived, nearly 4 inches of rainfall was recorded in Central Park Saturday night, with 1.69 inches having fallen between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m., according to the National Weather Service.

> so not as bad as Florence :D

The article i just read said 4.93cm:P

I mean :o:(

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Its a pity the rain hadn't arrived a few hours earlier

Anyway hoping all got home safe and are well and didn't catch covid and didn't get their houses flooded 

Do we know how @Early North Jersey and @judyg are ?

Today was just windy and rainy but all is fine here. It’s circling back over Massachusetts again tomorrow but that will be just heavy rain, so I should be fine.   

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, judyg said:

Today was just windy and rainy but all is fine here. It’s circling back over Massachusetts again tomorrow but that will be just heavy rain, so I should be fine.   

Good to hear

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, judyg said:

How did the giant doggies like the rain?  Did they go outside for #1 or #2?