Greasy Lake Community

AᗺBA fans...Things are starting to happen

2 hours ago, Frank said:

It I may ask, what/who is/was a womble?

It was a popular TV show at the time (supposedly for children). Mike Batt wrote the theme song, but instead of taking a fee he asked for (and was given) the rights to exploit the characters for musical purposes. They had several hit singles and albums over the next year or so.

The 1974 Eurovision Song Contest was being held in the UK as Luxembourg had won twice in a row and didn't want to stage it a second time. There is always an interval between the songs and the voting, during which there is some sort of entertainment. That year it was the Wombles promoting their second single. Consequently Mike Batt was present at the show and met Abba during the day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eileen said:

They clear up the mess on Wimbledon Common. Crikey, I thought everybody knew that! :o

Sorry, I never imagined to write what follows in my mid-forties but, I’m afraid I’m much too young to remember that. Thanks for the video anyway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Frank said:

Sorry, I never imagined to write what follows in my mid-forties but, I’m afraid I’m much too young to remember that. Thanks for the video anyway.

You're lucky - it's seared in the memories of us oldies. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frank said:

you were fortunate to miss out (as were your parents!)

i had several huge posters on my bedroom wall of them 

also we had fridge magnets

to their non-musical credit they were way ahead of their time (not unlike Tom & Barbara from The Good life and 1970's Prince Charles) 

the Woobles were into recycling way before i ever heard anyone use that word 

but even as a 3 year old my sister recognized the music as crap

but its ok ...the muppets were hot on their tails and those records and tapes we wore out !

12 hours ago, Eileen said:

They clear up the mess on Wimbledon Common. Crikey, I thought everybody knew that! :o

crikey Aunty

its much worse than i remember 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i have to ask as i am very impressed with your thread title 

how did you write ABBA the right way  with the B going backwards ?

Hehe, nice that you noticed. I just googled "backwards b copy paste" and clicked on the first result.

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

Making the news here

ABBA were really big in our part of the world not that they ever came to NZ

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/126201167/mamma-mia-here-we-go-again-abba-tease-new-music-coming--possibly-in-september

Being swedish ABBA would have an ikea map of the world & would therefore have no idea that NZ actually existed.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Didn't they say there was a Christmas song on this new album? Maybe it'll be a cover of we wish you a wombling merry Christmas.

That would be fun :)

19 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Being swedish ABBA would have an ikea map of the world & would therefore have no idea that NZ actually existed.

my niece who works for IKEA actually has one of these collector items of a map

1 hour ago, rachelharms said:

Yes first night!! dance floor tickets! I’m so ready!

And to think Rachel was like minus 20 years old the last time they released an album

is keith in your dance pod? I would pay several dollars to see that on a live stream

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AMIW said:

And to think Rachel was like minus 20 years old the last time they released an album

is keith in your dance pod? I would pay several dollars to see that on a live stream

I remember being 5/6 and taking the lyric booklet out of the Abba CD and learning to read through that :lol: I was obsessed 

that would be fun! I don’t have a pod though I got the dance floor next to the stage .. some may call it ‘general admission’ (but actuallt the most expensive because it wouldn’t let me book it without booking it as a hotel package) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I remember being 5/6 and taking the lyric booklet out of the Abba CD and learning to read through that :lol: I was obsessed 

that would be fun! I don’t have a pod though I got the dance floor next to the stage .. some may call it ‘general admission’ (but actuallt the most expensive because it wouldn’t let me book it without booking it as a hotel package) 

Hopefully the Robots are friendly Rachel !!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Good job you didn't learn your grammar from "Since many years I haven't held a rifle in my hand" :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Still  listen to them. Liked quite a few of their songs unlike BoneyM. Mentioned BoneyM cos before  84 or so when MJ won all those grannies, everyone in India thought that these 2 were the biggest bands in the world. 

• Like 1