Greasy Lake Community

Excerpt from Stevens upcoming Autobiography

37 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Oh wow

I cant wait to read the rest

Thanks so much for postung 

He writes much better than he tweets 

I was watching him on netflex last night on the episode of Pop about the song writters in that building in NYC

He spoke really well

Dear Mr Van Zant does really well being professionally edited so i now look forward to a very interesting book and as always he is a good  freind to Bruce and dear i say deserves Bobby  Jean to be sung at every ESB show 

Ps glad you survived the hurricane the other night 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh wow

I cant wait to read the rest

Thanks so much for postung 

He writes much better than he tweets 

I was watching him on netflex last night on the episode of Pop about the song writters in that building in NYC

He spoke really well

Dear Mr Van Zant does really well being professionally edited so i now look forward to a very interesting book and as always he is a good  freind to Bruce and dear i say deserves Bobby  Jean to be sung at every ESB show 

Ps glad you survived the hurricane the other night 

This is fantastic ...i can't wait.

• Bruuuuce! 1

I genuinely like Steve but his self entitlement is often over the top. He writes as if he were Keith Richards in the E Street Band (without writing any material). And for the Mandela thing, please let’s get back to planet heart. The list of names at the end on Nelson’s 800+ biography “long walk to freedom” runs for several pages, and the only rock musician mentioned is Bono.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Frank said:

I genuinely like Steve but his self entitlement is often over the top. He writes as if he were Keith Richards in the E Street Band (without writing any material). And for the Mandela thing, please let’s get back to planet heart. The list of names at the end on Nelson’s 800+ biography “long walk to freedom” runs for several pages, and the only rock musician mentioned is Bono.

Absolutly 100%  Valid point

I just found the extract so much better than i thought it would be and it might just be an entertaining read taken with a grain of salt 

I enjoyed C's book and at least half of that was made up :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Frank said:

He writes as if he were Keith Richards in the E Street Band (without writing any material). 

In all fairness, Steve has written a whole  bunch of great songs, just nothing that's on Bruce albums or played regularly at Bruce concerts.  Just ask Southside or listen to a DOS album.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this book - and I think Steve's contributions to Bruce's music shouldn't be underestimated.

Having seen him helping Bruce shape his recordings in the studio during the "Letter To You" film, and doing the same on "Sherry Darling" in the documentary with "The River" box-set, as well as noting how his opinion held sway over issuing "Nebraska" as it was, there's definitely more to Steve's efforts and influence than has otherwise met the eye. He deserves more credit, in my opinion, and is a very, very good friend for not seeking to get it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gsquare said:

In all fairness, Steve has written a whole  bunch of great songs, just nothing that's on Bruce albums or played regularly at Bruce concerts.  Just ask Southside or listen to a DOS album.

You’re perfectly right about Steve being a gifted songwriter. But his songwriting has nothing to do with Bruce’s releases or Steve’s role supposed second in command role in the E Street Band. 

14 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

Very good.  If SVZ felt that strongly about Ain't Got You - I can't wait to hear what he thought of the Seeger Sessions!

Im kinda hoping he's not a fan :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

Very good.  If SVZ felt that strongly about Ain't Got You - I can't wait to hear what he thought of the Seeger Sessions!

I’m probably reading too much between the lines here, but this story is virtually the reverse of the reknown ‘Dancing in the Dark’ fight between Bruce and Landau (with Jon’s insistence on needing a song about Bruce himself). Here we would have Steve having a fight over what is little more than an ouverture that is supposed to do exactly what Landau asks for. I wonder if the elephant in the room wasn’t Landau rather than ‘Ain’t got you’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

You’re perfectly right about Steve being a gifted songwriter. But his songwriting has nothing to do with Bruce’s releases or Steve’s role supposed second in command role in the E Street Band. 

Yup. But your comparison to Keith isn’t maybe the best. Keith and Mick are partners, Steve is mainly an employee. Writing songs for Bruce isn't in his job description.  And Steve does get production credits on some of the albums, so there is a contribution on his part.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Yup. But your comparison to Keith isn’t maybe the best. Keith and Mick are partners, Steve is mainly an employee. Writing songs for Bruce isn't in his job description.  And Steve does get production credits on some of the albums, so there is a contribution on his part.

Yes, this was exactly my point. Jagger-Richards ARE the songwriters for the band they're both in. Bruce is a solo act, regardless on the overwhelming importance of the E Street Band for his career. The impression I got from the excerpt above is that Steve would like to be a Richards-like kind of figure as is Bruce & The E Street Band was a unit like The Rolling Stones. My point was that dressing like a pirate is not enough to be Keith Richards. You must also write half the material. As for the production credits you are right, he was part of the production team for The River and, to a far lesser extent, Born in the USA (Landau's brain-child). 

• Like 1

People always talk about Bruce and Clarence on stage, but when I first saw Steve with the band in 99, i thought - that's it! Bruce was a different person with Steve beside him, and I dreaded Steve leaving the band again. Their chemistry onstage was fantastic. 

• Like 3

I found this excerpt more interesting than the whole of Bruce's autobiography.

Bruce didn't really  tell us anything about his relationships with the band. The breakup and how they reacted, would he have done it any differently, given hindsight.

There was no mention of any fall out with Steven, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe Steven knows he has to be more revealing to sell his book, as opposed to Bruce, who probably knew we'd all buy it anyway!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mariasbed said:

Find it surprising that Steven says that had he stayed with the band, he would have had enough money to have kids. Didn't realize he'd had it that tough!

I seriously doubt money was the real issue. Of course if you are loaded, things are easier but people have kids in all kind of financial situation, if they really want. No to mention rock musicians…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mariasbed said:

Find it surprising that Steven says that had he stayed with the band, he would have had enough money to have kids. Didn't realize he'd had it that tough!

Garry Tallent said in an interview last year that he only started to make any serious money with the ESB during the Born in the USA tour. I found that surprising as well. 

5 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Garry Tallent said in an interview last year that he only started to make any serious money with the ESB during the Born in the USA tour. I found that surprising as well. 

It all depends on what serious money means. Is it rock star’s serious money, or ordinary profession’s serious money?

• Like 1