Greasy Lake Community

Excerpt from Stevens upcoming Autobiography

3 hours ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

The whole schtick surrounding BITUSA was a conscious marketing decision. It's not like he came up with this version out of nowhere, not to mention the cover shot, the Rambo-with-a-guitar looks, the fist in the air, the giant flag on stage, particularly in that era...as for the song as such, he could have set the record straight (and kind of half-assed his way around it in his reaction to Reagan) in a heartbeat...but chose not to. Of course, the BITUSA songs are his most famous. It was his pre-planned super smash hit. And, of course, he has/had a massive body of work as well as a career spanning five decades, so I guess that's only natural. Most people know only the hits by most artists. 

I know.  That was my point.

From the excerpt:

"Patti Scialfa would find the love of her life... and most importantly, again, would those same three amazing kids exist if she hadn’t joined the band to sing my vocal parts?"

So basically Bruce and Patti owe their marriage, and the three Springsteen kids owe their very existence, to Little Steven's decision to leave the band.  Got it.

What an absolute tool.

I won't be buying his book.  I'm afraid that just like the book "Born To Run", this will be another autobiography that exposes weaknesses and douchebaggery that will taint my enjoyment of their music which I love so much.

9 hours ago, Frank said:

This is not completely correct. The horns were already there but Bruce and Co couldn’t find a proper arrangement. The legend goes (actually Bruce tells it in the Wings for Wheels documentary) Steve walked in the studio and immediately told the horns what to do. The result is the track we hear on BTR. But to be honest, Steve would put horns in his morning coffee, if he could. ;)

So long as we can all agree no horns in Adam !

• Like 1

Steve is Steve what you see is what you get.  

Alpha Male in your face guitar player, voice like its been chewing on sand paper for years  (as a ageing rock singer should sound- love it myself ) always very opinionated and believes in many subjects with passion and not a yes man in and out of the studio.   

Thank god some people like him are still in the music business and to view him riding on Bruce' s success is forgetting his been around since all but day one and his work around the darkness period is always over looked .

No doubt his book will be full of fun ,rock & roll stories, pub bawls that never happen and some lovely little bits about the E.S.B we can all enjoy which must all be better then reading about the wind blowing in a bloody tree. 

Happily no chapters about medication ,depression, mental health and complaining he didn't get breast fed as a child  -how refreshing in today's book world. 

His well up his own arse ,old school , mouthy git over weight and wears pink and can still kick arse on a stage at anytime with anyone    ...... just how a proper ageing old rock singer should be .  

love it ! 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

I have to note that I view Steve as a sensitive, candid well-meaning soul, and I formed that opinion after seeing him tactfully side-step clumsy questioning about Bruce when he was promoting his new band and his "Men Without Women" album in the UK. Unfailingly polite, friendly and amusing, and wholly passionate about music. Perhaps his autobiography will upend this view, but I doubt it:-)

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, Rizla said:

And yet the vast majority wouldn't be able to name many of his songs besides Born In The USA.  Which is largely misunderstood and unfortunately remains the song which defines him for many.

Exactly. Steve petitioned for Because the Night to be included on Darkness. As much of a masterpiece that Darkness already is, the inclusion of that song would've made it even better. It could've been one of those career defining songs for him. Instead, he gave it to Patti Smith and most are unaware that he was the original songwriter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rockaway88 said:

Exactly. Steve petitioned for Because the Night to be included on Darkness. As much of a masterpiece that Darkness already is, the inclusion of that song would've made it even better. It could've been one of those career defining songs for him. Instead, he gave it to Patti Smith and most are unaware that he was the original songwriter. 

maybe from a commercial perspective but i dont see it adding to the narrative 

.... i think Darkness is perfecf the way it is

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

maybe from a commercial perspective but i dont see it adding to the narrative 

.... i think Darkness is perfecf the way it is

Yeah it's definitely my favorite album of his too, but that's despite the self described "over singing" and the exclusion of BTN. 

I think it would've fit in just fine with the theme of Darkness. It describes a relationship in the unfiltered present. Not looking ahead like in romantic BTR or looking back like in the somewhat reflective The River.

Just personal opinion I guess.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rockaway88 said:

Yeah it's definitely my favorite album of his too, but that's despite the self described "over singing" and the exclusion of BTN. 

I think it would've fit in just fine with the theme of Darkness. It describes a relationship in the unfiltered present. Not looking ahead like in romantic BTR or looking back like in the somewhat reflective The River.

Just personal opinion I guess.

Well, balance it all what the Darkness album is about, IMHO.

I don’t know whether Steve petitioned for that, but Bruce’s proper version of ‘Because the Night’ wasn’t finished until 2009-2010, so this sound pretty difficult.

Also, I doubt you could include ‘Because the Night’ on an album which already featured its twin ‘Prove it all Night’ (and to a lesser extent a song called ‘Something in the Night’) without making the album sound pretty redundant. It would have been like having both ‘Cynthia’ and ‘Glory Days’ (or ‘No Surrender’ and ‘Brothers under the Bridges’) on ‘Born in the USA’.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well, balance it all what the Darkness album is about, IMHO.

I don’t know whether Steve petitioned for that, but Bruce’s proper version ‘Because the Night’ wasn’t finished until 2009-2010, so this sound pretty difficult.

Also, I doubt you could include ‘Because the Night’ on an album which already featured its twin ‘Prove it all Night’ (and to a lesser extent a song called ‘Something in the Night’) without making the album sound pretty redundant. It would have been like having both ‘Cynthia’ and ‘Glory Days’ (or ‘No Surrender’ and ‘Brothers under the Bridges’) on ‘Born in the USA’.

heaven forbid dropping prove it or something in the night from darkness 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:30 AM, NoneButTheBrave said:

.did he always make the right decision? Putting Crush on You on The River answers that  question. . 

I still don't know why everyone is so down on Crush On You.  To me it's one of the coolest pop rock songs he's made.  And a lot of the same people defend the MOR dross of HT, WOAD and even HH. I would trade all 3 of those albums for a Crush On You single.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I still don't know why everyone is so down on Crush On You.  To me it's one of the coolest pop rock songs he's made.  And a lot of the same people defend the MOR dross of HT, WOAD and even HH. I would trade all 3 of those albums for a Crush On You single.

while i am not trading my beloved WOAD record for anything i kind of began to appreate crush on you a lot more from the 2016 tour

i would be very happy to get it live - and ecstatic to get it as a river album show ! 

8 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I agree, I Love Crush on You.   > WOAD > HH >LOHAD and would take it over all three combined. Loved it every time I got it live in a show.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Sorry Steve

$60 is too much 

ill wait it out to come down in price 

Screenshot_20210901-094549.png

There must be a problem here. Amazon.com has the hardcover version for something less than $25 (and the paperback for around $16). Which is more than reasonable. And in Europe you can find both editions for more or less the same price. It should not be more than 35 NZ dollars. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Sorry Steve

$60 is too much 

ill wait it out to come down in price 

That's about 50% more than the UK cover price.

I guess it reflects the small number they expect to sell in NZ (ie. you and that "superfan" that was on TV last week")

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I guess it reflects the small number they expect to sell in NZ (ie. you and that "superfan" that was on TV last week")

I think it maybe reflects the outrageous cost of freight from the US to AU&NZ.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank said:

There must be a problem here. Amazon.com has the hardcover version for something less than $25 (and the paperback for around $16). Which is more than reasonable. And in Europe you can find both editions for more or less the same price. It should not be more than 35 NZ dollars. 

yup- its so lucky to live here :angry:

as consumers we are ripped off at every turn here - you want to see our grocery bill 

9 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

:lol:

plus air freight on the pitiful few airplanes that still fly in

9 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I think it maybe reflects the outrageous cost of freight from the US to AU&NZ.  

it never used to be quite this bad

it was always bad but only to a degree 

i mean backstreets shop always had outrageous shipping but the last time i got something off Amazon a couple of months back i almost fainted from the freight coast 

• Like 1

the exchange rate is real ugly at the moment - even more ugly that usual 

that is surposed to make exporters happy - like manufactures and farmers but then we also have to buy at market rates so milk and cheese goes up in price 

however thank you Frank and Keith

i just did a google and i found it significantly cheaper - but ive never heard of these guys

i have used those other people charging  the $60 to get books from the UK 

but where i can i still like to buy bricks & mortar to keep people like me in a job however ....

but i dont see Steve getting much shelf space down at Paper plus or Whitcouls

Screenshot_20210902-093915.png

Screenshot_20210902-093908.png