Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Excerpt from Stevens upcoming Autobiography


Recommended Posts

Ultimate Classic Rock


"Little" Steven Van Zandt checks in with Ultimate Classic Rock to discuss his new memoir, Unrequited Infatuations. He shares his candid memories regarding the Sun City project and album, working with legends like Peter Gabriel and Miles Davis and plenty more. 00:00 Introduction 02:07 Working on the book 05:30 Sun City. Was he worried about being blacklisted? 07:30 How Sun City morphed from being a single song to an entire album 08:27 Working with Miles Davis 12:38 How the lineup of artists came together 15:00 Peter Gabriel and progressive rock 16:20 A disagreement with Paul Simon 19:07 Did he struggle with putting anything in the book? 20:40 Issues with Whitney Houston 22:00 Meeting Prince 26:24 Working with Jason Bonham and U2's Adam Clayton 30:23 Bruce Springsteen / The Milwaukee bomb scare show

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ I couldn't listen/watch - not even after the dog came into view - cos of the gushing from the other two. Blimey, I thought Zoe Ball gushed ... they take it to a new level! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Frank said:

So, I bought the audio-book (read by Steven himself) this morning, and I've just listened to the prologue.

It would be unfrair to judge a book by its cover (or by prologue), but the level of unrequited and (un-required) self-entitlement so far would be over the top even if the book was "Chronicles vol. 2-3" written by that guy who died at Graceland.

I really hope he'll try and do some effort to get in touch with the solar system from chapter I on...

I came to this thread because I'm at the same stage of the book and just cannot believe what I'm hearing, even knowing it's Steve. I am pleased to see those of you who are further ahead say it will improve, because this is unbearable thus far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Hitchslap said:

I came to this thread because I'm at the same stage of the book and just cannot believe what I'm hearing, even knowing it's Steve. I am pleased to see those of you who are further ahead say it will improve, because this is unbearable thus far.

To be fair, the book improves considerably after the prologue. Steve stops talking about himself as if he were Julius Caesar from chapter I. I went through the first ten chapters or so, and I have to say the book is pretty enjoyable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a way of accessing the Springsteen / Little Steven interview without buying the book (again)?  Happy to pay to watch, but reluctant to pay for the book as well having already pre-ordered the signed version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t read the book or any excerpts yet, but from what I have read and heard over the years, everyone who has met Paul Simon pretty much agrees he is a jerk. His music is great, but his personality is not. 

Paul violated the boycott of South Africa in order to record and promote his Graceland record. He was vocally critical of Nelson Mandela. Obviously that would not sit well with Steve, who dedicated so much energy to trying to end Apartheid. 

Here’s an article from an African blogger about Little Steven and Paul Simon and Nelson Mandela. It’s a pretty good read:

https://africasacountry.com/2014/01/when-steven-van-zandt-convinced-azapo-to-take-paul-simon-off-a-hit-list-and-what-paul-simon-really-thought-of-nelson-mandela

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

That photo-op is dealt with in the book - and it certainly shows the photo in a very different light. (It'll be interesting to see if any claims in the book are considered actionable.)

It’s not libel if it’s true.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, judyg said:

I haven’t read the book or any excerpts yet, but from what I have read and heard over the years, everyone who has met Paul Simon pretty much agrees he is a jerk. His music is great, but his personality is not. 

Paul violated the boycott of South Africa in order to record and promote his Graceland record. He was vocally critical of Nelson Mandela. Obviously that would not sit well with Steve, who dedicated so much energy to trying to end Apartheid. 

Here’s an article from an African blogger about Little Steven and Paul Simon and Nelson Mandela. It’s a pretty good read:

https://africasacountry.com/2014/01/when-steven-van-zandt-convinced-azapo-to-take-paul-simon-off-a-hit-list-and-what-paul-simon-really-thought-of-nelson-mandela

Thanks for the link! There might be a very interesting quote for you as an Administrator on this forum about a hot returning and infamous subject:

"He knew more than me, he knew more than Mandela, he knew more than the South African people. His famous line, of course, was, “Art transcends politics.” And I said to him, “All due respect, Paulie (Simon), but not only does art not transcend politics… art is politics."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, el sergio said:

 

"He knew more than me, he knew more than Mandela, he knew more than the South African people. His famous line, of course, was, “Art transcends politics.” And I said to him, “All due respect, Paulie (Simon), but not only does art not transcend politics… art is politics."

And then Paulie added, “I was talking about Art Garfunkel…”. ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steven Van Zandt says Bruce Springsteen is 'playing a character' as he reflects on fallout
 

Yes, Bruce definitely developed his well known "stage persona" we've all come to know.  There's been times I felt it was a little over the top.


Excerpt: 
Van Zandt and Springsteen would eventually set their gripes aside but all these years later, Van Zandt appears to still have some opinions of the legendary musician.

He pressed that between "Born to Run" and "Darkness of the Edge of Town," Springsteen completely shifted his look and persona which Van Zandt believes was bogus from the get-go.

"He completely, 180 degrees changed his identity. He’s fronting, he’s playing a character," said Van Zandt. "That was the most important moment of his life because he stayed in that persona forever."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Steven Van Zandt says Bruce Springsteen is 'playing a character' as he reflects on fallout
 

Yes, Bruce definitely developed his well known "stage persona" we've all come to know.  There's been times I felt it was a little over the top.


Excerpt: 
Van Zandt and Springsteen would eventually set their gripes aside but all these years later, Van Zandt appears to still have some opinions of the legendary musician.

He pressed that between "Born to Run" and "Darkness of the Edge of Town," Springsteen completely shifted his look and persona which Van Zandt believes was bogus from the get-go.

"He completely, 180 degrees changed his identity. He’s fronting, he’s playing a character," said Van Zandt. "That was the most important moment of his life because he stayed in that persona forever."

 

is this really a problem?

David Bowie was Ziggy Stardust :lol:

i mean we know Bruce was imitating his dad in his dress

is that really so bad

to look like your target ordinance 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Steven Van Zandt says Bruce Springsteen is 'playing a character' as he reflects on fallout
 

Yes, Bruce definitely developed his well known "stage persona" we've all come to know.  There's been times I felt it was a little over the top.


Excerpt: 
Van Zandt and Springsteen would eventually set their gripes aside but all these years later, Van Zandt appears to still have some opinions of the legendary musician.

He pressed that between "Born to Run" and "Darkness of the Edge of Town," Springsteen completely shifted his look and persona which Van Zandt believes was bogus from the get-go.

"He completely, 180 degrees changed his identity. He’s fronting, he’s playing a character," said Van Zandt. "That was the most important moment of his life because he stayed in that persona forever."

 

Yep. 'Mr Authentic' wasn't as authentic as lots of people thought. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruce admitted himself on SOB that he was playing tricks with his audience both with his onstage persona and in some of his songs. That it was all just an act. It's never bothered me, he is still the best ever live performer as far as I am concerned.

Steve is a good musician, a good foil onstage for Bruce, and has a great personality. At the end of the day though he is just a guitarist in a famous back up band. Without Bruce, where would he be now ?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Yep. 'Mr Authentic' wasn't as authentic as lots of people thought. 

What does that even mean? How has Bruce deceived anyone?  Did you watch the I'm On Fire video, and think he was an actual mechanic?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

What does that even mean? How has Bruce deceived anyone?  Did you watch the I'm On Fire video, and think he was an actual mechanic?

Waddya mean? Surely he had that carburetor cleaned and checked 'til she was humming like a turbo jet.

I'm shocked. Nay, devastated.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

 

It's a great read. Love the insights into working with Southside, Darlene, Gary Bonds etc.  There are errors that most Bruce fans could have picked up on a proof read ( exhibit A, horn players on the 92/93 tour?) The guy has had a busy life. 

I found it a more satisfying read than his mate's much more considered biog from a few years back.

Maureen once dated Mitch Mitchell. Who knew?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...