Greasy Lake Community

Excerpt from Stevens upcoming Autobiography

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

Now then ... I went to see him ('85 I think) cos of the connection to Bruce.  Didn't make THAT mistake again. ;)

I also first saw him December '85 (the night before I saw Dire Straits) on the back of the BITUSA tour. Loved it and have been going to see him ever since, but that first time was purely down to the Bruce connection.

Just now, Born To Walk said:

I also first saw him December '85 (the night before I saw Dire Straits) on the back of the BITUSA tour. Loved it and have been going to see him ever since, but that first time was purely down to the Bruce connection.

Now you're talking ... Dire Straits back then. Wow.

I took one look at Nils bouncing on the trampoline and looked for the exit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Works both ways. If Bruce hadn't hooked up with Brandon, he (Bruce) would have been finished.

:D

Brandon? I’m afraid I need some input here. :o

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

What’s the best price in Europe that anyone has found for the book?

I think the best bargain you can get is the iTunes audio book (read by Steve himself); that is around 24 euros, if memory serves me well. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 10/4/2021 at 5:23 AM, Eileen said:

Crikey! I was up dancing with Southside and the lads wearing a Steve Earle t-shirt! I've worn Killers t-shirts to Bruce/Southside, Bruce/Southside t-shirts to the Killers' concerts.

Gets you chatting with lots of folk you wouldn't do otherwise. Broadens the knowledge.

It's good to see different t-shirts and one hopes they'll be heading home with one of the band they've been to see.

slightly completky maybe off topic

but the day after the Christchurch show my sister was wearing the offical chch show tee i had bought her and i waaring my fav backstreets tee shirt thay lists all the streets (not sure if it eben mentions Bruce) this lady walks past and says cool shirt !  i just automatically assumed she was talking to me and said year thanks !

but she waa talking to Rosy :(

On 10/4/2021 at 5:05 AM, DaveNJ95 said:

I didn't like how Bruce's popularity in 1985 got exposure for related things beyond their worth.

The Clarence Clemons/Jackson Browne duet.  Got top 40 airplay well beyond its appeal as radio fodder.

The Nils Lofgren solo album - Would have been DOA along with his previous discography that forced him to look to join the E Street to start making some money.  Got some mainstream news coverage in New York City because it was released around the time Bruce was selling out stadiums in the area. 

Sun City - Seemed like Steve using the Bob Geldof strategy trying to catapult himself from a sort-of-famous musician into the world spotlight.  I thought it was calculated and insincere. 

John Cafferty Album - People magazine aptly called it a counterfeit Born in the USA. Heavy airplay on MTV. Granted, he was coming off a hit single from Eddie & The Cruisers so this one I can forgive and he has no direct connection to Bruce.

this reads a bit harsh Dave, reading it so eaely in the morning here, but i think you bit the nail on the head and you raise a valid point

I am less and less looking forward to reading this book (should it ever be delivered). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/05/bruce-stevie-van-zandt-unrequited-infatuations

There really are lots of theories, approaches and explanations as regards Bruce's success. Steven van Zandt masterminding/pulling the strings in the background? No. Just no.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

I am less and less looking forward to reading this book (should it ever be delivered). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/05/bruce-stevie-van-zandt-unrequited-infatuations

There really are lots of theories, approaches and explanations as regards Bruce's success. Steven van Zandt masterminding/pulling the strings in the background? No. Just no.

Yes, I have the book but not really looking forward to reading it. One quote from the Guardian article:-

"Unrequited Infatuations, however, achieves the rare feat of making its author less likable: in trying to make himself more than Springsteen’s consigliere, he manages to make himself less."

4 hours ago, mjmal51 said:

Yes, I have the book but not really looking forward to reading it. One quote from the Guardian article:-

"Unrequited Infatuations, however, achieves the rare feat of making its author less likable: in trying to make himself more than Springsteen’s consigliere, he manages to make himself less."

Well, I can clearly see where the reviewer is coming from. And that’s a pity.

Nonetheless, I’d suggest you give the book a chance anyway. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

I don't think he's quite suggesting the "masterminding" level...and there has been various commentary over the years about his influence.  And he does admit he lost his influence around the time of BITUSA.   All that said, I share your discomfort with Steven's talking up his role in various events, from the career of Bruce Springsteen to freeing Nelson Mandela to saving Paul Simon's life... it's a little... unusual.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mjmal51 said:

well he'll still be more likeable than Woodie Guthrie im hoping 

Ah, but Geordie legends (yes I know he was born elsewhere), Spanish City mentioned both times ... bliss. That first one - special meaning just now. Howay the lads!