Greasy Lake Community

Excerpt from Stevens upcoming Autobiography

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

Ah, but Geordie legends (yes I know he was born elsewhere), Spanish City mentioned both times ... bliss. That first one - special meaning just now. Howay the lads!

See to me all the 86 tour was bloated and boring... too much noodling, and Dire Straits with saxophone never sat right with me.   I saw them in 83 which was still arenas of 3000-4000 people.    86 was massive stadiums; I saw them at the same big stadium I'd seen Bruce  almost exactly 12 months earlier... really didn't compare well... Mark just didn't have that charisma to get a whole stadium going, and the crowd were not engaged.   To me 1980-83 was their golden era.   I loved the Making Movies album.  Have you seen him interviewed by Brian Johnson at Whitley Bay?   It's a fun interview.  Brian is a champ.

46 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I loved the Making Movies album.  Have you seen him interviewed by Brian Johnson at Whitley Bay?   It's a fun interview.  Brian is a champ.

I love that album, too. I don't think I knew about that interview ... but ... as an aside, I went to the pub with Brian's brother once. Being aware of people looking twice at him was funny - he looked very like him.

I saw them in 1980 at the City Hall. I remember the first time the saxophonist was brought into play. I was upstairs in the same hall and couldn't believe it - I was knocked sideways and said so to some random fellow-fan! He wasn't as impressed as I was.

Wasn't you, was it? ;)

Oh, I also remember seeing Mark opposite me in the school orchestra rehearsal ... probably around 1965. :D

Found it! Watching it now.

The Rex Hotel ... oh boy! Loved that - thanks!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Posted without comment!  B)

10CC75E9-9D2E-483A-8148-A06179A6F62B.jpeg

i can't stop laughing :lol:

but its a great photo of both of them 

1 hour ago, ukjohnney said:

8342C8A4-65D0-4112-9AE0-0809D4A81D10.jpeg

I wonder if he totally ignored the person in the second row who's looking for a handshake?

To be fair, SVZ is looking the other way but it would be quite rock n roll to blank them.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, bdw said:

I wonder if he totally ignored the person in the second row who's looking for a handshake?

To be fair, SVZ is looking the other way but it would be quite rock n roll to blank them.

Mebbies she's thinking he needs a steadying hand on his arm cos of his cracked rib? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Mebbies she's thinking he needs a steadying hand on his arm cos of his cracked rib? ;)

Leaning over that chair back would be an excellent way to crack another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He did actually high five a few people as he walked out , not sure about the one in the photo above though.  

Seems he popped into badlands records in Cheltenham in the afternoon too.  Didn’t get changed though!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

On 10/15/2021 at 12:51 AM, paddieu said:

hI

nice bath pics :-)

did u get any of us questioners and him ?

asking for a friend ;-)

P

Sorry no I don’t think so!   What was the question :ph34r:

That reads pretty good... Might actually get this one. 

He's not wrong about Ain't Got You either. 

Also posted this over on BTX...

So I finally read Steve's book and while it's an interesting and very entertaining read, I do understand why he never broke through really...

It's a discrepancy between how he sees himself primarily (consigliere/sideman) vis-à-vis this sudden burst of ambition in connection to overestimation of himself (writing up a five-set cycle of concept albums about the big themes determining the world's condition...yeah, right...this would have been ambitious even for Dylan and Springsteen, but seems ludicrously over the top for a virtually unknown second guitarist/sideman) and a profound igorance of how the production of culture works/has evolved, which derives from being mentally basically stuck in the 60s. This whole 60s thing annoyed the hell out of me. 60s here, 60s there, yadda, yadda, yadda...You don't go with the times, you get swallowed up. You're not going to recreate that.

Steve's a good songwriter, but if he was looking for a big solo career (which, based on his abilities as a songwriter, he might have had), he took the wrong turn at pretty much every crossroads.

• Like 1