Greasy Lake Community

In My Time Of Dying - chords played during s/check?

I remember seeing a short clip many years back, probably in an officially released video, of Bruce, walking round an empty arena. He played a few bars of this, presumably during the s/check. He was walking down the isle towards the stage.

Would anyone recall where this footage was, ie which gig or video it was in please?

Possibly in the Anthology 1978-88.

Wow. This is obscure train spotting stuff. We love it!

This may not help at all, but the first thing that sprung to mind was the '92/93 interview that Hepworth did in LA, that had rehearsal footage.

funny you should mention that, I was lying in bed thinking about this last night, & Hepworth i/view came to mind....

Might have to try & track that down, thanks for the tip :)

6 hours ago, mickb said:

funny you should mention that, I was lying in bed thinking about this last night, & Hepworth i/view came to mind....

Might have to try & track that down, thanks for the tip :)

Some bluesy stuff here from before the 1992 tour (following Cindy Crawdford :)

• Like 1

Many thanks for sharing that - still not been able to track down the clip in question - he's in a huge arena, walking between the rows of seats with his guitar on, checking sound levels / acoustics. The place is practically empty, so I guess it was during a sound-check. It's not on the 80's David Hepworth Glory Days doc, as I watched that again this morning....

54 minutes ago, mickb said:

Many thanks for sharing that - still not been able to track down the clip in question - he's in a huge arena, walking between the rows of seats with his guitar on, checking sound levels / acoustics. The place is practically empty, so I guess it was during a sound-check. It's not on the 80's David Hepworth Glory Days doc, as I watched that again this morning....

Well, there's certainly a great b & w photo describing exactly that in the live box booklet.

great spot! the photo on the 1st page - I'm almost certain that is where the footage was taken from - now just need to work out which venue, & where the video clip exists :)

2 hours ago, mickb said:

just need to track down the video now :)

i1.jpg

I've never heard of or seen footage from a soundcheck in Japan in 1985. Might have been in a news broadcast at the time but Bruce used to be a control freak back then so hard to imagine some news crew filming him while he was trying to hear what the sound is like...but, hey, weirder things have happened. 

6 hours ago, Breakaway said:

Some bluesy stuff here from before the 1992 tour (following Cindy Crawdford :)

Showing Shayne Fontaine after Cindy Crawford should be made illegal. ;)

13 hours ago, Breakaway said:

I've never heard of or seen footage from a soundcheck in Japan in 1985. Might have been in a news broadcast at the time but Bruce used to be a control freak back then so hard to imagine some news crew filming him while he was trying to hear what the sound is like...but, hey, weirder things have happened. 

ok, just to clarify here, I'm not saying for certain it was Kyoto 85. The footage I saw (& my brother confirmed but his memory is as bad as mine!) was very 'similar' to the still photos from Kyoto, in that he was walking around an empty arena, strumming his guitar. We both agreed at the time that the chords were 'In My Time...". It may have been in a documentary, or possibly a short in the Anthology video or something similar. It can't have been anything obscure, as I don't have much Bruce in video, & if it was in a documentary it would have been broadcast in the UK.

I'll keep digging....

36 minutes ago, mickb said:

ok, just to clarify here, I'm not saying for certain it was Kyoto 85. The footage I saw (& my brother confirmed but his memory is as bad as mine!) was very 'similar' to the still photos from Kyoto, in that he was walking around an empty arena, strumming his guitar. We both agreed at the time that the chords were 'In My Time...". It may have been in a documentary, or possibly a short in the Anthology video or something similar. It can't have been anything obscure, as I don't have much Bruce in video, & if it was in a documentary it would have been broadcast in the UK.

I'll keep digging....

I have the Anthology pretty well memorized from my youth but don't remember anything like that but I'm getting old and my mind might be going. 

This is intriguing, though. Do you have a sort of time frame for this? I mean was it definitely before ESB breaking up or could it be during the Other Band era?

I enjoy a bit of detective work like this. B)

52 minutes ago, mickb said:

Fairly sure it would have been pre Other Band, but that doesn't really narrow it down that much.....

It does if you saw it before 1992.

Fair point J :)

To be honest, I'm struggling to remember, I know it was a long, long time back, but it may have been after 92, but the source (ie documentary,etc) could have pre-dated that. I don't think there was anything in there on Other Band, so I'm guessing it was probably pre-92.

• Bruuuuce! 1