Greasy Lake Community

Which E Street Band Member Pens The Next Book?

So, once we devour Stevens book - who do we want to hear from next?

I’m going with Gary …. He’s been around since day one and must have tons of cool stories for us!!

Brad

• Like 2

Vini had been working on his for a good few years when I visited him in c. 2008 but I am not sure if/when it will come to fruition. I think he told me the title would be First Beat on E Street .

He certainly has some of the most interesting stories of the early days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 11:05 PM, 65pacecar said:

F9E7F9C7-407B-4C77-8374-03A055F3A5FA.png

Roy’s bio would be a pure treasure. Imagine a first account of just some of the incredible non-Bruce albums he has been involved in.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LONDONCALLING said:

Vini had been working on his for a good few years when I visited him in c. 2008 but I am not sure if/when it will come to fruition. I think he told me the title would be First Beat on E Street .

He certainly has some of the most interesting stories of the early days.

You just cant leave us hanging like that mate ! (unless you have posted back in 08 about the meeting if so apology sent)

any details /stories about when you visited him would be welcome. 

thanks in advance if so . 

4 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Why not? I like to hear what he has to say.

i think he'd be too busy right now jamming with Charlie Watts 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i think he'd be too busy right now jamming with Charlie Watts 

Or He may be having a dueling banjos like Keyboard stand-off with Ray Manzarek.  

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, catfish said:

You just cant leave us hanging like that mate ! (unless you have posted back in 08 about the meeting if so apology sent)

any details /stories about when you visited him would be welcome. 

thanks in advance if so . 

Haha 

sorry to do that. 
I did post way back when but briefly again here. 
Btw auntie was very helpful in advising me as she had met up with Vini before (see her photos above)  

Suffice to say Vini was a true gent.

In short I was lucky enough to time my visit when Carrie Potter was also there. It was just before an Upstage Benefit that Steel Mill Retro we’re going to perform at.  I could not stay in US for the show so I asked Vini if I could visit a rehearsal. He kindly invited me but it fell through because half the band were stuck out on a deep sea fishing trip. Vini invited me over anyway.   
Carrie had a suitcase full of her parent’s pictures from club in the early days and we went through them with Vini chatting away about those times. 
One story was  about monopoly games on the roof whilst the riots went on at street level and so on.
Another story was about backstage with Black Sabbath I can’t remember detail of now. 
It was also Nice to see a Gold record with a musician who was responsible.

I saw an early draft of the first chapter of the book but no idea if it’s progressing. It would be great if it did as it was magical to hear about those times of myth and legend to me. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LONDONCALLING said:

Suffice to say Vini was a true gent.

He's lovely. We hadn't arranged a specific time to meet up - or place - but he just happened to be where I ended up (the boardwalk) and called to me from his car. How he recognised me I don't know.  Probably the freckles and big grin ... and my 'Britness' probably shone out like a beacon.

An unforgettable couple of days - I met 'Tinker' West at the surfboard factory, saw Bruce's old car, went for a meal with Tinker, Vini and Vini's lovely girlfriend. Another highlight was going to the SP and Wonder Bar ... and the drives around AP, Ocean Grove (past Southside's house) and a drive-past of Bruce's house were incredible.

Probably some of the best days of my life. Vini sent me a few cds afterwards and I'd tell you some of the stories ... if I could remember them. ;)

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:24 PM, Frank said:

Roy’s bio would be a pure treasure. Imagine a first account of just some of the incredible non-Bruce albums he has been involved in.

Yes. Any insight into how Steinman worked in the studio would be great.

• Like 1