Greasy Lake Community

25th anniversary of Houserockers' 'American Babylon' album will include live set with Springsteen

On 8/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, CosmicKid said:

(Berlin 1995) I remember when this gig happened, there were tons of rumors of this being only the beginning of a surprise club tour of European cities. I was almost panicking. No one knew where he would show up next. Of course, there was no next.

There was indeed a next when Springsteen went on a short clubtour called the "October Assault" with Joe Grushecky and The Houserockers in 1995.

On Oct. 29, Joe Grushecky and The Houserockers will release a 25th Anniversary edition of “American Babylon,” the acclaimed 1995 album produced by Bruce Springsteen. The two-CD set, from Cleveland International Records, will feature the album’s original 12 selections, including two songs, “Homestead” and “Dark and Bloody Ground,” co-written with Springsteen, along with demo recordings of “Chain Smokin’,” "Never Be Enough Time” and “Only Lovers Left Alive.”

A 13-track companion disc documents live performances recorded at Nick’s Fat City (now Foxtail) during the “October Assault” tour in 1995, which also included shows in Philadelphia, New York, Chicago and Asbury Park, N.J.

https://themusicuniverse.com/bruce-springsteen-produced-joe-grushecky-album-gets-expanded/

5EY01KY4-1-1630425066.thumb.jpg.b3820c49eb379eb1b4dae41612084bba.jpg

CD 2: (Recorded Live at Nick’s Fat City, Pittsburgh, PA October 1995)

No Strings Attached

Only Lovers Left Alive

Bruce Springsteen Intro

What Did You Do In The War (with Bruce Springsteen)

Chain Smokin’ (with Bruce Springsteen)

Labor Of Love (with Bruce Springsteen)

Never Enough (with Bruce Springsteen)

Dark and Bloody Ground (with Bruce Springsteen)

Pumping Iron (with Bruce Springsteen)

Homestead (with Bruce Springsteen)

American Babylon (with Bruce Springsteen)

Light of Day (with Bruce Springsteen)

Down The Road Apiece (with Bruce Springsteen)

This was the complete setlist for 1995-10-21 Nick's Fat City, Pittsburgh, PA

NO STRINGS ATTACHED / ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE / WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR / TALKING TO THE KING / DIDDY WAH DIDDY / CHAIN SMOKIN' / LABOUR OF LOVE / NEVER BE ENOUGH TIME / MURDER INCORPORATED / MUSTANG SALLY / GIMME SHELTER / DARK AND BLOODY GROUND / PUMPING IRON / AMERICAN BABYLON / HOMESTEAD / LIGHT OF DAY / DOWN THE ROAD APIECE / REBEL MUSIC / KEEP A KNOCKIN'

So probably for space reasons they do not release all the songs. This show features the only known full Springsteen performance of "Gimme Shelter" released previously on the UK EP Labour Of Love.

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

This was the complete setlist for 1995-10-21 Nick's Fat City, Pittsburgh, PA

NO STRINGS ATTACHED / ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE / WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR / TALKING TO THE KING / DIDDY WAH DIDDY / CHAIN SMOKIN' / LABOUR OF LOVE / NEVER BE ENOUGH TIME / MURDER INCORPORATED / MUSTANG SALLY / GIMME SHELTER / DARK AND BLOODY GROUND / PUMPING IRON / AMERICAN BABYLON / HOMESTEAD / LIGHT OF DAY / DOWN THE ROAD APIECE / REBEL MUSIC / KEEP A KNOCKIN'

So probably for space reasons they do not release all the songs. This show features the only known full Springsteen performance of "Gimme Shelter" released previously on the UK EP Labour Of Love.

When this show occurred, it was broadcast locally on the radio.  For some reason I wasn't able to get back to Pittsburgh to record it.  So I sent a note to either Joe's website or through his fan club asking if it would be rebroadcast.  And Joe was nice enough to send me a cassette with about 90 minutes of the show along with a hand-written note. :)

IMG_3711.jpg.79979268f0a42e4f82a9f1037938115d.jpg

As for Gimme Shelter, I bought the CD single you reference at a record fair just for that song, and it is a smoking version.

IMG_3710.jpg.0432c350960223b68c605f84accf0d0b.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg.0891338fc8647c5558ca8318109e981d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

If I had to chose an album to take on a desert island this would certainly be on the shortlist.

I would love to hear Bruce & E Street play something off this.

Dark & Bloody Ground,No Strings Attached,Only Lovers Left Alive,any of those would make me happy.

But I guess it'll remain a dream & the riff on LOHAD will be the only reminder.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 10:21 PM, gsquare said:

As for Gimme Shelter, I bought the CD single you reference at a record fair just for that song, and it is a smoking version.

IMG_3710.jpg.0432c350960223b68c605f84accf0d0b.jpg

I found this on the www.springsteenlyrics.com website. This copy was used for promotional purposes. It has a sticker on the jewel case promoting Joe Grushecky's 10 Mar 1996 concert in Antwerp which I attended. The Grushecky concert in my hometown was organised by the Belgian Thunder Road fanclub. I made some black&white pictures front row, have to search for it somewhere in my house ......

6961_01.thumb.jpg.3dbef19010d04b2801b79c18fda54893.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:15 AM, gsquare said:

Homestead - Bruce Springsteen & Joe Grushecky The Houserockers (20-10-1995 Nick's Fat City)

Homestead is a nice song in my opinion. I’m hoping Bruce records and releases it one day.