Greasy Lake Community

World Cup 2022

bdw

With the FIFA World Cup in Qatar due to take place next year, there's a batch of European zone qualifiers at the moment.

A good performance from England to win 4-0 away to Hungary - with the added distraction of racist chants and objects thrown from the Hungarian crowd. I wonder if, today, anyone's regretting buying a Hungarian replica shirt?

An impressive away win for Northern Ireland, plenty of goals for Belgium, Italy suffering from a post-Euros hangover and being held to a draw at home by Bulgaria and Spain losing to Sweden made for some interesting results.

In the battle of the minnows, Denmark beat Scotland comfortably. Sorry, I mean Andorra beat San Marino 2-0: Denmark are no minnows, they made it to the semi-final of the Euros.

As the European qualifying groups reach the half-way stage, it all looks quite predictable with the expected teams in the qualifying places.

There are only two countries that have a 100% record - Dr WOB's former favourites turned foes, Denmark and.....wait for it... surely not. No, our loudest, sorry, most authoritative contributor constantly tells us how rubbish they are. The tables must be lying but, apparently, it's England!

Next up for England are Poland who have been more of a thorn in the side of English football than most countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-qualifying-european/table

Farcical scenes in the Brazil v Argentina game with public health officials staging a pitch invasion to stop Argentinian players, who were in breach of quarantine regulations, taking part.

I mean, it would be most unlike Argentina to cheat at football. Come on Oor Winnie, get out your picture of Scotland's best ever player!

6 minutes ago, bdw said:

As a sop to Denmark for dominating them in the Euros, England give up their 100% record in the WC qualifiers leaving Denmark as the only team to win all their matches.

I didn't expect Albania to be England's main challenge!

image.thumb.png.60228bfc63032e71eb398e09f587a44b.png

4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I didn't expect Albania to be England's main challenge!

image.thumb.png.60228bfc63032e71eb398e09f587a44b.png

It might be because they've already played the two whipping-boys of the group so have racked up more points than expected.

Actually, I just checked and they've still got one easy game plus England, Poland and Hungary.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another round of fixtures currently going on.

A respectable draw for Wales against the Czech Republic - including a howler by the Welsh keeper which they came back from and levelled.

No excitements in Friday's other fixtures. The most interesting Saturday game is Scotland v Israel. Five/ten years ago, Scotland would go into this game needing to win but wouldn't manage it. Israel seem to have been a bit of a bogey team for Scotland. This time, both teams are on a (short) winning streak and a big crowd is allowed so Scotland should win it.

The only interesting thing about the England game with Andorra is how many England score or if Andorra manage to get a goal. England should be looking to get six but I suspect they'll only get four and there will be game time for fringe players once they've got a couple of goals.

Nostradamus strikes again!

Scotland finally bury their Israeli hoo-doo (that can't be the right spelling) in Fergie time and England pop in five goals when I say six is expected but four is the actual tally.

MBS gissa job?

Great and hugely important win for Scotland tonight.

Probably deserved it over the piece, however defensively I still think Scotland are inadequate at international level. Seven goals conceded in three consecutive matches at Hampden would testify to that. It was our downfall at the Euros.

Never mind though, we now have a great chance of second spot and a play-off place for Qatar 2022.

Another set of matches this evening.

England just need to avoid an embarrassing defeat at home to Hungary to all but guarantee qualification given who their final games are against.

Despite Scotland's managers pessimistic tone in the build-up, they should get a hatful against the Faroese and leave their fate (in terms of getting into the playoffs) in their own hands. I don't know who they get in the playoffs - is it just by confederation so another European team or is it a bit more interesting and they might get Australia or Columbia or whoever?

Wales just did enough to keep themselves in with a shout. 

Germany back on form and looking like comfortable group winners now they've hit their stride which wasn't the case before the summer when it seemed as if North Macedonia might upstage them.

After 21 consecutive victories going back 9 years in home qualifiers, England play out a dull draw with Hungary. Harry Kane looked like it was the first time he'd been on a pitch and the usually reliable Kyle Walker was poor. The rest were just bleh.

Scotland tried to upstage England by coming within five minutes of their worst ever result but a late goal against the postmen, bank clerks and whale-slaughterers of the Faroe Islands spared their blushes and keep them on course for the playoffs.

In the battle of the minnows, Andorra beat San Marino 3-0.

Elsewhere, results went according to form so the usual suspects looking ok for qualification.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, Born To Walk said:

image.png.b455a9b8519a2c32c6e4d746faa0e6e9.png

Well the punishment certainly did not fit the crime, unless of course the price we pay is losing getting to hold the World Cup.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/euro-2020/2021/football-news-england-fans-face-wembley-stadium-ban-after-crowd-trouble-at-euro-2020-final_sto8590834/story.shtml

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Great performance and result from Scotland tonight.

That's six wins on the trot and seeded for the play-off semi.

Typical one team is already qualified game.

So they hit the brake to avoid nasty injuries