Greasy Lake Community

Archive release september: Tower Theater Philadelphia mat 17 2005

Wow. That Wreck On The Highway is really very beautiful.:wub:

Edit: as Erik also says in his essay, which is nice to read, without all the hyperboles of some earlier ones.

Some more: Notice there are no less than 9 D & D songs in this show from the first weeks of the tour, including the not-that-often (or seldom) played Black Cowboys, Silver Palomino and Maria's Bed; but not Long Time Coming, which would be played every show (at least I think so) in the second half of the tour.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

The Devils and Dust solo tour of 2005 was right up there with my favourite Bruce tours ever....if only we didn't have to suffer that hellish bullet mic.

Whatever possessed him to introduce that assault on the eardrums into his live shows one can only speculate.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

The Devils and Dust solo tour of 2005 was right up there with my favourite Bruce tours ever....if only we didn't have to suffer that hellish bullet mic.

Whatever possessed him to introduce that assault on the eardrums into his live shows one can only speculate.

I was sat next to Ricky Gervais at Royal Albert Hall ten days after this show. He loved the bullet mic version of Reason to Believe. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

After more than 15 years, still sooooooooooo many people lost on the bullet mic. Here is an excellent essay about the tour and THAT mic from Gregg Chadwick:

"Bruce Springsteen is a man who takes risks with his music and his politics. On May 3, 2005 in Hollywood at the Pantages Theater it seemed that Springsteen let everything ride musically in a last chance to save America's soul. In two numbers culled from his Reagan era album "Nebraska" - "Reason to Believe" and "Johnny 99" - like numerous blues artists and Bob Dylan before him - Springsteen howled the lyrics through a bullet shaped harmonica microphone, amplifying his voice into a guttural roar, “Lord won't you tell us what does it mean/ At the end of every hard-earned day you can find some reason to believe." These two songs were re-imagined as twenty first century blues for America."

https://greggchadwick.blogspot.com/2006/02/spirit-in-night-springsteen-live.html

Am I the only one who needs to be in totally the right head space to listen to these acoustic downloads. I went to both the Joad & Devils tours and love acoustic Springsteen but this is different. 
As an emphatic person I get dragged into the songs and this can pull down my mood. I’ve just been out walking and skipped through quite a lot of this download as it made me ‘feel down’ for the want of a better expression. I slapped on some Beastie Boys to liven up my walk. Ha Ha 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Go on, it's worth it just for the total cock up of the piano outtro to Incident. :lol:

Not sure how this translates or what Part of the body was being used to play the piano. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Citysmith said:

Am I the only one who needs to be in totally the right head space to listen to these acoustic downloads. I went to both the Joad & Devils tours and love acoustic Springsteen but this is different. 
As an emphatic person I get dragged into the songs and this can pull down my mood. I’ve just been out walking and skipped through quite a lot of this download as it made me ‘feel down’ for the want of a better expression. I slapped on some Beastie Boys to liven up my walk. Ha Ha 

Without a doubt these shows require a specific mood from the listener.

They are also unlike the Joad shows which at least follow a narrative.

I love the D&D shows & it's great to have them but they are for quiet nights with the Bose headphones for me.

• Like 4

To my ear, some tours improve with age, and others worsen.  D&D falls into the latter category for me.  I did attend two 2005 shows and had a good time.  But although the rarities and the spoken stories in the D&D shows add to its legacy as being a tour "for the fans", there are just too many mistakes on the keyboard songs, too many "I've never played this one before, so I'm gonna try it now", too many admonishments of the audience to "be quiet", and too much bullet mic.  Not to mention that a "theme" of the shows was often sacrificed to make room for rarities in the set.

As always with a show that I skip, I'm still happy for those who are happy with this release, however.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

To answer the first half of your question i will go with "somewhat less than perfect" ..... The second part i will leave to others. :lol:

I thought he may be competing against Jim Morrison as the Lizard King. 

• Haha 1