Greasy Lake Community

Archive release september: Tower Theater Philadelphia mat 17 2005

Cross-posting from BTX.

Making my way through it, and it just now hit me that this was one of the few shows on the tour where Long Time Coming wasn’t played. I thought that one was an every-nighter on the tour.

I love how Iceman and Incident were made into a medley. Loved the transition chords in between to put the two songs together.

Has anybody else observed yet that Devils and Dust is played differently than later in the tour? Here, the strum pattern is more percussive and staccato. In all other released versions, it’s more strummy-flowy. Pull up the song in your music platform and jump back and forth between Tower 2005 and any other 2005 Nugs release, and you’ll see what I’m talking about. It’s interesting to hear things evolve like this.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Okely Dokely said:

Has anybody else observed yet that Devils and Dust is played differently than later in the tour? Here, the strum pattern is more percussive and staccato. In all other released versions, it’s more strummy-flowy. Pull up the song in your music platform and jump back and forth between Tower 2005 and any other 2005 Nugs release, and you’ll see what I’m talking about. It’s interesting to hear things evolve like this.

And all of them better than the arrangement on St Paul 11/12/2012

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Some more:

I really appreciated Iceman on the Son You May Kiss The Bride bootleg, all those years ago (Or 'All Those Years' ago, to quote another famous bootleg).

Then over the years, after its official release, I came to dislike the song, as a very bad Dylan imitation, with overwrought, pathetic lyrics, and finally going nowhere -except in the vault; not the vault of very great songs that were thrown away because they did not fit the theme of the album; nor the vault of Steve's lost discussions; but that other vault, the vault of songs that were left off albums for a very good reason: because they were not good songs.

And that is not even the worst thing.

Studio surpasses Tower, which was my argument.

The 77 outtake still resonates with the emotional truth Springsteen no doubt was experiencing after first being allowed to record in the studio after the law suit settlement. Can’t separate Iceman from that context, which I referenced in my initial post. 

I believe the emotional truth of Springsteen’s songs that connects us is one of the main reasons why so many of us are fans and spend time posting. Emotion is the essence of music, and apparently your current “dislike” of the song. That’s too bad. Music is to be enjoyed but I have no idea what it is to  “appreciate” a Springsteen song and then “disliked it.”  

“Pathetic” you say.  Wow. Not too pathetic for one line to end up on Badlands.

it is just an outtake, not an injustice. 

3 hours ago, Okely Dokely said:

Cross-posting from BTX.

Making my way through it, and it just now hit me that this was one of the few shows on the tour where Long Time Coming wasn’t played. I thought that one was an every-nighter on the tour.

I love how Iceman and Incident were made into a medley. Loved the transition chords in between to put the two songs together.

Yes, I always thought that Long Time Comin' was an every-nighter as well. It took me by surprise, and I only realised it after listening to the whole show.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

13 hours ago, Rumble said:

Studio surpasses Tower, which was my argument.

The 77 outtake still resonates with the emotional truth Springsteen no doubt was experiencing after first being allowed to record in the studio after the law suit settlement. Can’t separate Iceman from that context, which I referenced in my initial post. 

I believe the emotional truth of Springsteen’s songs that connects us is one of the main reasons why so many of us are fans and spend time posting. Emotion is the essence of music, and apparently your current “dislike” of the song. That’s too bad. Music is to be enjoyed but I have no idea what it is to  “appreciate” a Springsteen song and then “disliked it.”  

“Pathetic” you say.  Wow. Not too pathetic for one line to end up on Badlands.

it is just an outtake, not an injustice. 

Iceman just has the need for speed

02081D31-AF92-4100-9A32-A6ECD83FFE1B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, Okely Dokely said:

It’s interesting to hear things evolve like this.

This is precisely why we need more early shows from tours... I'm looking most strongly at Magic because I know most if not all shows were recorded, but also some very early '80 or '84 shows would be nice additions in an ideal scenario

• Like 1

I'm enjoying this show a lot! 

Iceman into Incident is sublime. But the whole show is great... Even Part Man which I usually don't like at all. Only minor gripe is that I wish he'd sing Jesus Was An Only Son without chatting in the middle of it.... Just once. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J said:

"Bruce"

"Yes Jon, what do you want?

"I think we've thrown that J guy off the Wembley 2002 scent for another month"

"Phew! I keep the tape hidden under my bed for a bit longer then"

"Yes Bruce, that's a good idea"

;)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, J said:

Iceman into Incident is sublime. But the whole show is great... Even Part Man which I usually don't like at all. Only minor gripe is that I wish he'd sing Jesus Was An Only Son without chatting in the middle of it.... Just once. 

Definitely my favourite archive from the D&D tour. 
It’s the best Ramrod as it’s clear and up front, not distant like on other D&D archives. I don’t much like the full band version but I love this. 
It’s a fabulous Real World too. And strangely for a song I completely take for granted as I’ve got millions of versions, I love The Rising on this show. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Suddenly I realize this early, 'standard' D & D show [as long as a show with Incident On 57 Street on the setlist can be called a standard show], seems to get more approval than the other D & D releases, which (with the exception of Trenton) all got a little 'meh' response; despite on paper more interesting setlists than this one. (Saying this -about the reception- all from memory so might be wrong in that).

See also: the good reception for Boston 1992; and even the good reception for Nassau 2009 (compared to other shows from their tours (except the MSG 2009 WIESS show)).

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

That roar from the crowd as they realise what is happening through the transition. Priceless. 

Or maybe they were just ecstatic to know that “Iceman” was finally ending.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:25 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

Definitely my favourite archive from the D&D tour. 
It’s the best Ramrod as it’s clear and up front, not distant like on other D&D archives. I don’t much like the full band version but I love this. 
It’s a fabulous Real World too. And strangely for a song I completely take for granted as I’ve got millions of versions, I love The Rising on this show. 

Yeah absolutely agree about Real World. 

And yes, the off mic Ramrod was cool in the room but it doesn't generally make for great listening on a recording. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 8:50 PM, J said:

Only minor gripe is that I wish he'd sing Jesus Was An Only Son without chatting in the middle of it.... Just once. 

Have you listened to this one from the Wembley archive a year later in 2006? No chatting in the middle and it’s a wonderful version..

https://youtu.be/yJYtiKpKCgU

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 6:12 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

Have you listened to this one from the Wembley archive a year later in 2006? No chatting in the middle and it’s a wonderful version..

https://youtu.be/yJYtiKpKCgU

Oh yeah!! Forgot about that one! Thanks for reminding me! 

And I was there... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

For me Grand Rapids is still the ‘go to’ for a D+D show, but this is very good. A few thoughts; ‘Reason To Believe’ , the reason it doesn’t work with the bullet mike, isn’t because of the bullet mike (‘Fire’ and ‘It’s Hard to be a Saint’ are great in their bullet mike versions), it’s the fact that the song is stripped of its melody and is just four minutes of atonal shouting. I’m sure it was a very effective visual spectacle, but it doesn’t translate to audio. ‘Maria’s Bed’ is a great song, and it’s nice to have a live version. ‘Jesus Was An Only Son’ may be one of Bruce’s most underrated, or at least, least appreciated, songs. I like it the way the D+D shows have been spaced out so we have a good overview of the tour so far.