Greasy Lake Community

Greasy Lake on 9-11-2001 - 20 years later

While many of you weren't here - 2001 was a time when internet forums were the most common way people connected.  This was way before Facebook and even a couple of years before MySpace was created, so forums like this were one of only a few options. 

The community here was much smaller, but still a world wide group of friends.  We had our share on NY/NJ people for sure and as events of the day kept us glued to our televisions, we were here checking in on our friends and making sure everyone was OK.

We had several "check in" threads where people from the area would let us know they were safe.  Sadly, several who checked in that day had loved ones and friends they hadn't heard from yet.  Some were found later in the day, some were among those lost.  A few of our members were on the front line, firemen, police, ambulance and health care folks and they would drop in quickly to tell us about what they had seen and what they were doing in the hours after the attacks.

Those days/weeks reminded us all that we really cared about each other, even if they were half a world away.  This community bonded even closer in those days, and many who posted on that day are ones I still consider good friends 20 years later. 

Please no politics on this thread, those arguments have all been fought - but if you were here back then, or if you just want to add your thoughts from that day if you weren't, please do - we were all affected that day, and we all suffered - some much more than I did

Prayers to those we lost on that day and since, and passing our love from both Kelley and I to your families and loved ones.

Mike

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 3

We have made efforts to pull those threads out of the archives and it seems compatibility with the new board software will keep us from linking them here. 

If we can figure out a way to share them here (like the "Unfuckingbelieveable" thread) we will do so, but I am not optimistic at this moment.

• Like 2

I worked most of my career in the aviation industry supporting the FAA.  On that day our office was in NW Washington a few blocks north of the White House. I shared a pod with four other people including a former air traffic controller.  He had access to websites that monitored the air traffic controllers communications and we heard in real-time some of the chaos that was unfolding with air travel.  And the White House and surrounding buildings were evacuated because of the threat of attack and alot of those people were streaming by our building to get away from it.  As for getting home, I lived in Virginia and rode the bus to work.  But in emergency situations our busses would not come into the city and we would have to use metro or maybe the train, both of which go right by or stop at the Pentagon, so not ideal options either.  I really don't remember how I got home that night, just know it took a long time.

Also during that time I went to monthly meetings up in Atlantic City, drive up on a Wednesday for the Thursday meeting.  Our meeting that month was on the 13th, so I drove up the day after the attacks.  By that time the FAA had put a ground stop to all air travel in the CONUS for a few days, so there was nothing in the air.  I always like seeing the contrails from planes, knowing that someone is going somewhere.  But driving three hours and seeing none of that in the sky was another sad reminder.

• Like 6

Thanks for starting this thread, Mikey. I remember watching the TV that day but also being on GL all afternoon, reading the “Unfuckingbelievable” thread and hoping for updates from our friends in the area. Like you said, without Facebook or Twitter or even text messaging, this place was our main way to find out about our friends. 

We all used the chat room in the evenings back then too. It was comforting that night to all be together, chatting and checking up on each other. I remember that Rich finally popped in briefly. He said he hadn’t been working that morning but had gone down right after it happened and he’d spend the day down there, looking for survivors. At one point, he was briefly trapped under some some debris but he was okay. He then told us not to tell the frying pan (his wife) that he’d been in any danger.  

I also remember when MiamiMark checked in. He ended up staying in the city for several days, helping people. He’d had a tentative meeting with someone at the WTC that morning but when he tried to get ahold of that person that morning, they didn’t answer their phone, so he didn’t go down there. It’s sad to think that both he and Rich survived that day but are gone now. 

@judyg Judy, weren’t you also living in Manhattan then?  And I know that Ronday (Cindy) was too. 

• Like 7

Posted this on The Rising thread before I noticed this one, thinking of everyone affected at this sad time, it just feels like yesterday tahat we turned the tv`s on at work and watched in horror and disbelief, these programmes are so well made and will make you cry even after all this time :-

Nat. Geo. channel (129) in UK have been showing 6 one hour (approx.) programmes about 9/11, they are centred mainly on the stories of some who survived that day. They were on to prog. 4 before I noticed them, so I watched 4,5 & 6 they are so well made and compulsive viewing. All 6 are being shown today and again tomorrow so I will see 1,2 & 3, but ther are best watched in proper order i suspect. What some of those first responders did to save lives was beyond brave, you will not manage to watch any of them without a tear in your eye.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

We have made efforts to pull those threads out of the archives and it seems compatibility with the new board software will keep us from linking them here. 

If we can figure out a way to share them here (like the "Unfuckingbelieveable" thread) we will do so, but I am not optimistic at this moment.

That would be great if that could be done, I remember Rich.  Understandable with new technology and all it might be impossible, thanks for trying.

• Like 3

I was here then too. The GL community was just early days and we were a fairly close virtual group.  The day, time and place will not ever be forgotten by any of us whether you were part of GL back then or not.  The one memory I have was being able to take some small comfort that Canada was able to lend a hand during the chaos by being a safe haven for planes in USA air space to divert and land.

As the horror unfolded we all came here to check on each other and "hold" each other in some remote way.  The world change forever that day and we have learned to carry on but we have never let go the prayers for all those that were touched by the events of the day.  

Peace to all 

PS BD78 you are correct Firerich passed after 9/11 but he was one of the first responders to the site that morning.  He carried that fact quietly.  He did his job and we were all proud of his courage like so many others that protect us each day.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3

28 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

For some reason I thought that Firerich passed after 9/11?  RIP

Rich survived 9/11. He spent the entire next year going to funerals of other firefighters who died on 9/11/01. 

He died over 10 years later, fighting a fire in Brooklyn on 4/16/12.  RIP Rich. 

• Hug 4
  • Sad 1

I was part of GL then and I remember very vividly that we were following and checking in with each other on the thread called "Unfuckingbelievable."  I'm sorry that thread can't be revived. I remember worrying about Rich, and I remember hearing that he was OK. I remember him popping into the chat room that night. This community was much smaller then and very tight knit. 

@PattyC,  I grew up in NYC, but I was living on Long Island on 9/11/01.  99 days out of 100 I would have been in court in downtown NYC, but for some reason I did not have to be in NYC on that day. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

Back then I participated in the FC, but not really here on this channel. So I was a less connected than now.

I was on a West coast trip - Monday LA, and up to Portland that night. Had a meeting scheduled at 8:30a with the Federal agency that owns all the dams in the Pac NW (about 40% of the energy production!), and the nuclear power plant, and the nuclear waste storage. That got cancelled, as they went into total lockdown. They did come to meet with me a day later at my hotel - we all needed a little company, I think. One of my business colleagues invited me home to dinner with his family one night too. By Friday I was able to get a flight headed east. Since Portland was a Delta hub I was able to get a flight to Cincinnati, another Delta hub. I figured that at least was driving range if need be. When I got to Cincy I was able to get on a plane to Philly, and I was able to book a rental car there. By the time all this happened I was driving up the NJTP in the early evening. There's that stretch between exit 13 and exit 14 where Port Elizabeth is just on your right as you're headed north, and then the NYC skyline comes into clear view, so close. And the smoke was still there, and the floodlights on the site. But not the towers that had been a part of my life for 30 years, as I was born in Manhattan, spent my Wonder Bread Years there, returned for graduate school, and spent my entire career there (nearly 20 years, at that point). I'll never forget that sight.

2 years later at one of the stadium shows Bruce was in the middle of Darlington County, and when he got to that line, "Our pa's each own one of the World Trade Centers," and all I could think of was that sight of the smoking site, and the missing buildings. Truly, I wish Bruce would shelve that song completely. From that stadium you used to be able to see those towers, but no more.

Fortunately, I have no grievous stories of loss. All I have are stories of close escapes. But every New Yorker was affected by that day.

• Hug 4

i didn't know any of you then, Bruce Springsteen only came back onto my radar after 9-11

but beleave me each and every one of you were in my prayers that day

the scariest day ever 

Gary woke up to it on the news and flicked on the tv, in my sleep induced state i thought he was watching Die hard

i think both towers were still standing at this point?

in the days that folllowed i wish you could have all felt the love in the world for America at this time, NYC is everybody's city 

An attack on America was an attack on the free world 

but on that day to look into the dusty scared faces of New York - it reminded me what you were us

just ordinary people going about their bussiness, at work 

i kept thinking work - what a terrible place to die

America-  i dont care who's in the white house, I'm always with you, im your freind always

Like GW said 20 years ago,  your either with us or aganist us and I'll always be with you 

• Like 3

I can only speak for myself, but as horrible as 9/11/2001 was, the general vibe on 9/12/2001 was pretty damn awesome, at least at the college where I was at the time.  I think the country never felt more “united” than it did on that day (at least in my lifetime, as I wasn’t around in December 1941).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I just saw Rich on TV.  CNN is playing the documentary called 9/11. There were 2 filmmakers following along with Rich’s firehouse in September 2001. The story was supposed to be about a probationary firefighter, but they happened to be with the firefighters and on the scene on 9/11, so it turned into a documentary about the day and the firefighters.  If you get CNN, turn it on.  Rich is in one of the very first scenes. I’ve seen the documentary before, and he’s in it in several places.  Even if you don’t know Rich, this is a great film about 9/11.

• Like 4
  • Hug 2

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Like GW said 20 years ago,  your either with us or aganist us and I'll always be with you 

The exact line I remember from GW Bush is “Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, judyg said:

I just saw Rich on TV.  CNN is playing the documentary called 9/11. There were 2 filmmakers following along with Rich’s firehouse in September 2001. The story was supposed to be about a probationary firefighter, but they happened to be with the firefighters and on the scene on 9/11, so it turned into a documentary about the day and the firefighters.  If you get CNN, turn it on.  Rich is in one of the very first scenes. I’ve seen the documentary before, and he’s in it in several places.  Even if you don’t know Rich, this is a great film about 9/11.

I was just about to post the same thing..  great to see his ugly mug

miss you firerich…

• Like 1
  • Hug 1