Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen at 9/11 Memorial

38 minutes ago, slane85 said:

I was a little shocked as to how he looked, but a perfect delivery of a perfect song for the day that's in it.

Can this man do an 18 month E Street Band tour?

Of course he can .. he is Bruce…

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

5 minutes ago, davina said:

Of course he can .. he is Bruce…

And I will be there …somewhere!!

Can’t wait to see my Bruce friends again !!…. Somewhere…

enjoy your weekend everyone 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

God forbid he never plays another song with the E Street Band this would be a beautiful closing chapter to an amazing musical legacy. So moved this song was part of this day. An American Treasure who sadly, because of stupid american politics , is more universally loved in other parts of the world now than he is in his own country.

Completely agree with every word mate. 

I'm sharing this in the usual places, and I'll just hoy it in this reply. I wrote a few words on this appearance. 

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/09/11/e-street-review-bruce-springsteen-performs-at-the-9-11-memorial-in-new-york-city/

bruce-nyc-2021.png

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

14 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Completely agree with every word mate. 

I'm sharing this in the usual places, and I'll just hoy it in this reply. I wrote a few words on this appearance. 

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/09/11/e-street-review-bruce-springsteen-performs-at-the-9-11-memorial-in-new-york-city/

bruce-nyc-2021.png

very nicely writren Kieran

very nice to see Bruce at the memorial 

an appropriate place for a suit and a very appropriate lovelly new song 

i can't beleave its been 20 years 

i dont think anyone who was alive that day will ever forget the shear terror of it and then the personal tragedies 

love to all the family and freinds of all the people who lost loved ones, the fire dept, the police 

love always to NYC and  America

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Without getting political, I find his appearance and performance offensive to the tragedy of 9-11. Why does he feel the need to bookend the 20 year anniversary of this event? Yes, The Rising was interesting for what it was, maybe even healing for many people, and I get that. I loved it. But this appearance is unnecessary and self-serving in my opinion.

Since when did Bruce Springsteen become pallbearer to a nation?

There's so much more I could say, but this is where I'll let it lay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, JoanFontaine said:

I consider him the poet laureate of my generation.  And I find it vastly appropriate that the father of a fireman who wrote a perfect song was asked to try to comfort the mourners. 

its hard to say this objectively but i think people outside America think this is the perfect place for him 

he's deservingly become on of your elder statesman/ living national treasure 

and this is exactly the kind of occasion  where you roll out the living treasures and the elder statesmen

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, seadogscarb said:

What a spell binding and inspired choice of song for today.  Beautiful.

i know

its so perfect 

its the very first thing i saw when i looked at my phone this morning

- i have to admit i did think 

why didn't i think of that !

• Love Love Love! 2

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i know

its so perfect 

its the very first thing i saw when i looked at my phone this morning

- i have to admit i did think 

why didn't i think of that !

Totally- across the whole world, this song now has a new and more deep a meaning. I bet he has been thinking of this for weeks and crossed off so many songs before settling on one that just makes everyone sit up and notice once again. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

very nicely writren Kieran

very nice to see Bruce at the memorial 

an appropriate place for a suit and a very appropriate lovelly new song 

i can't beleave its been 20 years 

i dont think anyone who was alive that day will ever forget the shear terror of it and then the personal tragedies 

love to all the family and freinds of all the people who lost loved ones, the fire dept, the police 

love always to NYC and  America

Thanks Daisey, glad you liked it! 

I was only four years old in 2001 and have no memory of the day, so I can't speak for that feeling of dread at the time, but I will add to your thoughts, prayers, love and whatever else is possible to everyone impacted by it.

"We'll meet and live and love again."  

• Hug 1

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks Daisey, glad you liked it! 

I was only four years old in 2001 and have no memory of the day, so I can't speak for that feeling of dread at the time, but I will add to your thoughts, prayers, love and whatever else is possible to everyone impacted by it.

"We'll meet and live and love again."  

it was so scary Paolo

all those people

we kept thinking about all those people

no one knew who had done it or what might come next but even im those days it took no time for the internet to overflow with conspiracy theories 

but we knew America had to respond and there would be a war 

it was just unbelievable awful seeing people jump out the windows because they didn't want to burn to death

Gary is not a religious person at all but he kept thinking about all those souls from the world trade centre just being there in the ether, all togther above the two towers 

as an aside and in no way making light of the absolute worsr of situations, its sad you will have never known how easy it used to be to go to the airport and hope on a flight to basically anywhere in the world :(

the world changed in so many ways that day

anyway unfortunatly due to Auckland's covid situation our firemen couldn't do their memorials stair climb at the sky tower this year but they were able to have the menorial in Chch

its down by the Avon river, in a very picturesque area kind of under a bridge at the fire fighter's menorial 

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/memorial-held-christchurch-911-attacks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gartloney Rat said:

I really like this song and a great choice for the occasion delivered with respect and dignity. However I fear that the upcoming tour, if it ever happens, is going to show us a very different Bruce.

Well it's glaringly obvious he's going to have to sing most older songs differently. It should come as no surprise. He's in his 70s and has spent decades pushing his voice to it's limit (and we love him for it). I can't fathom many more straight rock albums from the man if he can't do the songs effectively on tour. Like Dylan he will adapt and find a new tone or style I believe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kooly said:

Without getting political, I find his appearance and performance offensive to the tragedy of 9-11. Why does he feel the need to bookend the 20 year anniversary of this event? Yes, The Rising was interesting for what it was, maybe even healing for many people, and I get that. I loved it. But this appearance is unnecessary and self-serving in my opinion.

What the f....are you serious? Don't you think perhaps they asked him to do it? I'd bet on that and he had to oblige. Bruce is the right choice. Nobody connects with people like Mr. Springsteen

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 hours ago, Kooly said:

Since when did Bruce Springsteen become pallbearer to a nation?

There's so much more I could say, but this is where I'll let it lay.

There's a 9/11 Museum and Memorial organization and he was asked to perform at this memorial. 

Right after 9/11 happened and the country was in shock and disbelief, the concert "America - A Tribute to Heroes" was aired on 9/21/01 on all tv stations.  When I saw Bruce open the concert with My City of Ruins I had a feeling of complete calmness come over me.  Seeing him perform made me feel we were going to be okay.  It's very hard to explain, but it's what Bruce has always been able to do for me and many others in good and bad times, especially bad times.  Remember right after 9/11 it's said someone saw Bruce out and about and hollered at him "we need you now!" His lyrics and music have pulled me out of many funks.  It's why we love him and look to him :wub:

• Like 5
  • Hug 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, homesquid said:

Well it's glaringly obvious he's going to have to sing most older songs differently. It should come as no surprise. He's in his 70s and has spent decades pushing his voice to it's limit (and we love him for it). I can't fathom many more straight rock albums from the man if he can't do the songs effectively on tour. Like Dylan he will adapt and find a new tone or style I believe.

Been saying this for a while now. The band will play songs that he can still handle vocally, and he will have to find a range and a tone in his singing which he is comfortable with now. We might find that a few classics may have to be dropped from the show, but hopefully not. I also think he will use more backing singers to help him during songs. It will still be a great show but as has been said it will be different. Hs voice is not as strong as it was, which is only to be expected for a performer in his early 70's and who sings the way Bruce has done for over five decades.

• Like 4