Greasy Lake Community

Croke Park next April?

Interesting update from Dublin this evening on the back of the news that Garth Brooks is heading to Ireland next year. Might be true, maybe not. 

Don’t think there’s ever been a gig in Croke park in April. But then there’s never been a concert backlog like this either I suppose.

E527C466-58D8-4CF8-B773-251C7BE35666.jpeg

• Zambini changed the title to Croke Park next April?
24 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

April seems a bit early as you’d expect UK stadium dates to be fairly close to Dublin in terms of timing. Premier League stadiums are in use until 22nd May. 

You guys say this all the time, about Football stadiums. But Bruce Inc, always find away to book MSG in between Knicks and Ranger games. And Philly between 6ers and Flyer games. in the winter here. 

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

April seems a bit early as you’d expect UK stadium dates to be fairly close to Dublin in terms of timing. Premier League stadiums are in use until 22nd May. 

Well arsenal, Norwich and a couple of others will basically be free by mid March as they will have given up all hope by then:wacko:

I know the journalist, he's very reliable. I pm'd him and he told me 'wouldn't be reporting it if it wasn't true'. But maybe someone else in VM got the scoop and he's just relying on their info.

It does seem odd.

• Like 2

There's an application from Aiken Promotions to Dublin City Council here for two concerts in late April. So I guess something's happening one way or another. 

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/planning/active-land-management/outdoor-event-licences/outdoor-event-license-applications

And, you know, we've stood in freezing rain at Bruce concerts in Dublin in July. April couldn't be much worse than that. 

• Haha 1

Does seem rather strange at first BUT says "late" April and we have had Euro shows in "early" May before now I guess!, so it would seem that perhaps we should "watch this space" maybe - AND - that, you never know, there could be "tickets on sale" this side of Xmas!!!?  

Just being said now 

Chairperson Patrick Gates told RTE's Today With Claire Byrne this morning: "The first I heard of it was last night on social media really.

"It's not confirmed, we're still waiting for some sort of confirmation in relation to that.

"For the residents, it's not really about who plays in Croke Park but how it's managed, particularly outside the stadium and the residential streets... because we do suffer quite a lot of disruption.

"Croke Park just don't seem to be able to manage the external environs to large events.

"They have a licence for three concerts... we don't have a problem with who it is, but we do have a problem if it's more."

P.S. besides "NOTHING" will be colder - or wetter - than Munich in 2013 (which was in May, although late May - 26th) so I guess this isn't TOTALLY out of the question! We have had several Dublin (and UK) shows in May ovewr the years - and then the likes of Spain & Italy are later (June/July) when - for those os us who know our climate ha! - it really should be the other way around!!?  No smoke without fire as they say (or am I just off on the whole wishful thinking aspect now! ha!). P.S. in terms of "wet" Zurich in 2016 (my last ESB show to date) would take some topping, and that was July!!! 

3 hours ago, Zambini said:

There's an application from Aiken Promotions to Dublin City Council here for two concerts in late April. So I guess something's happening one way or another. 

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/planning/active-land-management/outdoor-event-licences/outdoor-event-license-applications

And, you know, we've stood in freezing rain at Bruce concerts in Dublin in July. April couldn't be much worse than that. 

Bruce Springsteen hasn't played concerts in a row since 2016. Always 1 day off between concerts.

1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

P.S. besides "NOTHING" will be colder - or wetter - than Munich in 2013 (which was in May, although late May - 26th) so I guess this isn't TOTALLY out of the question! We have had several Dublin (and UK) shows in May ovewr the years - and then the likes of Spain & Italy are later (June/July) when - for those os us who know our climate ha! - it really should be the other way around!!?  No smoke without fire as they say (or am I just off on the whole wishful thinking aspect now! ha!). P.S. in terms of "wet" Zurich in 2016 (my last ESB show to date) would take some topping, and that was July!!! 

Etihad! Arrghhhhh!!!!!

16 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You guys say this all the time, about Football stadiums. But Bruce Inc, always find away to book MSG in between Knicks and Ranger games. And Philly between 6ers and Flyer games. in the winter here. 

The big difference is the grass. Stadiums that hold concerts over the summer have to completely renew their pitches before the new season starts. Only one concert can ruin the playing surface. So concerts during football season are just not possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As it was pointed out before, April sounds pretty early for an outdoor show in Dublin. I remember flying in for a glorious three show stand at the RDS Arena back late May 2008, but God, it was still pretty cold. Especially on the first night. Time will tell.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Sorry to say the Stockholm 1 show in 2009 was by far colder. June 4th, 4-6 degrees Celsius with crazy winds. Awful show made memorable though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

The big difference is the grass. Stadiums that hold concerts over the summer have to completely renew their pitches before the new season starts. Only one concert can ruin the playing surface. So concerts during football season are just not possible.

Could always use the Emirates...no football being played there at the moment!

• Haha 2