Greasy Lake Community

Croke Park next April?

17 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

The big difference is the grass. Stadiums that hold concerts over the summer have to completely renew their pitches before the new season starts. Only one concert can ruin the playing surface. So concerts during football season are just not possible.

There was a concert during the football and hurling season in Croke Park a few years back. It resulted in a bit of criticism from players and managers who said the pitch wasn’t great after it.  It’s a huge money spinner for the GAA who own the stadium. 

9 hours ago, Passaic said:

Sorry to say the Stockholm 1 show in 2009 was by far colder. June 4th, 4-6 degrees Celsius with crazy winds. Awful show made memorable though.

I was at Stockholm 2 on that occasion - the think with Munich was the wet as well as the cold - apparently they came very close to cancelling and every member of the band (apart from Bruce, and I'm guessing Max) were wearing open ended gloves!.........it was bitter and miserable........technically in terms of temps I'm sure you are right that Stockholm was probably colder, but when you are soaked through "as well"..........horrible.........but to get back on topic we are all singing off the same hymn sheet in that playing outdoors in some parts of Europe at that time of year is not the best idea (and what gets me as well is that they must know what the demographic is of say 70% of their audience!!?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rizla said:

The weather in the British Isles is unpredictable and as likely to be hot in April and cold in June as the reverse.

Very true!  I see the story (Bruce & Garth Brooks) has been reported in the Irish Post now!

9 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I was at Stockholm 2 on that occasion - the think with Munich was the wet as well as the cold - apparently they came very close to cancelling and every member of the band (apart from Bruce, and I'm guessing Max) were wearing open ended gloves!.........it was bitter and miserable........technically in terms of temps I'm sure you are right that Stockholm was probably colder, but when you are soaked through "as well"..........horrible.........but to get back on topic we are all singing off the same hymn sheet in that playing outdoors in some parts of Europe at that time of year is not the best idea (and what gets me as well is that they must know what the demographic is of say 70% of their audience!!?

I was at the concerts mentioned and would confirm Munich was the worst. Only time I have ever wore a poncho. 

26 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

A quick google of “Springsteen Croke Park 2022” shows several Irish reports running the story. Probably all the same source but nobody is denying it. 

I’d love it if it was true but as someone pointed out earlier it’s for 2 consecutive nights. He hasn’t played back to back gigs in a long while but fingers crossed. 

34 minutes ago, Eileen said:

She didn't say 'Britain'.

British Isles.jpg

The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter-governmental sense. It is without any official status. The Government, including the Department of Foreign Affairs, does not use this term.

That’s a quote from a former Irish minister for foreign affairs. I never said the poster said Britain , I just thought they meant Britain as I wasn’t familiar with the phrase British isles. 

• Like 1

One other thought on this (ref the whole "rather early in the year to be playing in some areas of Europe") - it could be a case of beggars can't be choosers - there will be a LOT of acts trying to book places to play as we (hopefully / fingers crossed) start to return to some form, or version of, "normality" post pandemic - and it could be a case of taking what you can get and WHEN!?  It remains to be seen if there is no smoke without fire but the "smoke" certainly seems to be intensifying!!? ha! (but then we have been in similar "rumour" situations in the past!?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zambini said:

More on this. Now it seems Cork is in the mix too. For someone, if not for Bruce. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40698998.html

FF00F166-3495-4D70-9D1A-80EA55FFB0E6.jpeg

If he is doing 2 nights in Croke Park that’s approx 160,000 fans, it wouldn’t leave a lot of ground for shows in Cork or elsewhere  were in Ireland (BELFAST!!!). 

Summer 2013 was the best Bruce run to date, effectively an Irish tour of smaller stadia in lesser played towns and cities. What an amazing few weeks that was. Croke Park in 2016 on the other hand was an amazing weekend. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:37 PM, Zambini said:

Interesting update from Dublin this evening on the back of the news that Garth Brooks is heading to Ireland next year. Might be true, maybe not. 

Don’t think there’s ever been a gig in Croke park in April. But then there’s never been a concert backlog like this either I suppose.

E527C466-58D8-4CF8-B773-251C7BE35666.jpeg

So at least the Ed Sherran part panned out. Just verifyed that he will play Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork on the 28th of April.....Now we're waiting for the Bruce part ;)

Interesting. Ed's gig in Cork (April 28) is very close to the proposed Croke Park dates (April 23 and 24). And he hasn't announced a Dublin show for his European tour which, although it's not out of the question, it would be a surprise if he skipped Dublin altogether.

So now I'd guess those two Croke Park dates are for Ed and will be added to his tour at some point if the promoters get approval. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zambini said:

So now I'd guess those two Croke Park dates are for Ed and will be added to his tour at some point if the promoters get approval. 

You could be right!!!?........and much as we are all keen for news of a Bruce & ESB tour I have to admit I for one wouldn't at all be too disappointed if that turned out to be the case!, (as in the whole "early in the year for outdoorshows").