Greasy Lake Community

Which bootleg version is the best?

This is a great thing. Thanks. 

My first boot concert was a cassette copy of Winterland in about 1980. I didn't realise it at the time but the pitch control was off and it played a little fast. The CD version many years later was a revelation. Took a long time to get used to it.

• Like 2

Can only reiterate what has already been said, ie the more people who use this to rate, the more representative the ratings become - which benefits everyone.

Also, this site contains what we believe to be the most comprehensive list of Bruce boots currently in circulation - as such, a great place to find info on what's out there :)

I had a site like this called Brucetapes years ago (focused on 70's material). You could see the different versions of each show and listen to a short clip and see ratings. Also info file about each version. So you could easily find which one you have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, This is The Way said:

1978 - 09 - 21 Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

What a day, what a show............. please go rate on the new ratings site, you know it makes sense, this could be the way......... xx

Looking forward to the (hopefully inevitable) archive release of this show to complete the trilogy. 

2 hours ago, This is The Way said:

1978 - 09 - 21 Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

What a day, what a show............. please go rate on the new ratings site, you know it makes sense, this could be the way......... xx

I was just listening to the JEMS version - it's as good as an official recording.

• Love Love Love! 2

I was just checking the top-rated shows on the site....I definitely have to "dig through" my external hard drives to see if I have the mjk5510 version of 1984-11-26 Dallas. :)

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, Breakaway said:

I was just checking the top-rated shows on the site....I definitely have to "dig through" my external hard drives to see if I have the mjk5510 version of 1984-11-26 Dallas. :)

& there's something for everyone's tastes in that Top 20 section - some real beauties there, & the more folk who join & rate, the bigger it gets :D

• Like 1

Just a reminder that your new reviews are what make this site useful, and special.

Remember that first show that you went? Track down the boot (the collector's thread is very friendly to such requests - try it, it's FREE!), relive the show, and post your review of the boot.

Heard about a show your friends went to? Track down the recording to hear what they were talking about. Then enter your review.

Want to relive certain moments in Bruce's long performance history? How about shows in Philly thru the years? Or Gothenburg? Or Milan? Or London? Or Barcelona? All those places are legendary for many, many special shows. Track the recordings down and find out what people have been talking about. Then post your reviews.

Or maybe you want to recreate some of Bruce's legendary multi-show stands. Maybe the Bottom Line '75, 5 nights/10 shows (not all available)? Or the Palladium '76, all six shows. Or Boston '77, all 4 shows. Or Passaic '78, all three shows. Or LA '84, all 7 shows. Or Philly '99, all six shows. Or MSG 2000, all 10 shows. Or Giant's Stadium summer of 2003, all 10 shows. Or the last stand at Shea 2003, all three shows. Give yourself a little "listening project", and then bring your reviews to the site.

Want to see how Bruce's performance of Backstreets has varied through the years? Or Something in the Night? Or The Promise? See what is written about those songs, track down the performances, and when you're done post your reviews.

In short, explore Bruce's extensive live performance history. There is so much available. And when you do, share what you have learned from listening!

• Like 1
  • Hug 1

5 minutes ago, This is The Way said:

1389119643_Screenshot2021-10-08at13_51_17.png.40cc8d68bc04ec651837f1a4793c94de.png

See you in Spring 2024.............

This looks like my move from earlier this year.  I always knew I had a ton of boots, but when you start to box them up, clearing shelves and containers and "oh yeah I forgot about those" in the process of emptying a house.....well it becomes staggering and a bit scary

On 10/8/2021 at 1:52 AM, JimCT said:

Remember that first show that you went?

Great suggestion @JimCT.  Alas, my first show was the only one of the BITUSA tour for which, according to Brucebase, there is no circulating audio - Brisbane in the Land Down Under!

Perhaps Bruce Inc should take note and include it in a future official release - it's about time that an official release included a (pre-2014) Australian show.

At the time, I had heard none of Bruce's concerts (I was completely unaware of the existence of bootlegs in my earlier years) :wacko:.  So my most vivid recollection of the show was hearing him play covers, Who'll Stop The Rain (after it started raining, of course) and Twist & Shout particularly stand out. 

I've started sorting through my collection of bootlegs (thank God for the internet!) and will start adding my reviews once I've listened to a few of them and worked out a benchmark.

Cheers!

• Thanks 2

On 10/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, This is The Way said:

Good post Jim, people get out there and start exploring, my starting point is here;

92212913_Screenshot2021-10-08at13_49_20.png.cf231ac82555197b06396e809677e77a.png

Followed by this lot;

1389119643_Screenshot2021-10-08at13_51_17.png.40cc8d68bc04ec651837f1a4793c94de.png

See you in Spring 2024.............

Brilliant! The next time I'm asked "Do you really need all that stuff" (which is considerably less than this lot! ha!) I'm going to use this photo in my defence! Cheers!