Greasy Lake Community

Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs of All-time (redux)

sonicramone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

A "sign-of-the-times" listing of the "500 Greatest Songs of All-time".  This follows their re-do of the top 500 albums of all-time from about a year ago.  

Bruce's top ranking song is at 27 with "Born to Run".  Strangely, only one Bob Dylan and no Led Zeppelin, Elvis Presley, The Ramones, Pearl Jam or The Who make the top 50.

I guess that lists are meant to be argued, clicked-on, and re-clicked-on.   RS is just doing their part.

• sonicramone changed the title to Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs of All-time (redux)

Boy, did they get this wrong...

But then again, it's all subjective.

PS: 'Jungleland' is the best rock n' roll song ever written. Get off-a my cloud Rolling Stone.

39 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

Apparently, the best rock n' roll songs are now R&B, soul and rap songs.

Let's show some R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Dan.  :) 

'Respect' is a great song, but it's R&B...not Rock n' Roll.

Hip-Hop/Rap is NOT Rock n' Roll.

• Like 1

Rolling Stone is trying to survive its relevancy. In order to do that, they need to appeal to a wider audience than just baby boomers and gen-x'ers as well as multi-racial groups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JustDan said:

Rolling Stone is trying to survive its relevancy. In order to do that, they need to appeal to a wider audience than just baby boomers and gen-x'ers as well as multi-racial groups.

Ironically, in the lifespan of rock 'n roll, Rolling Stone is hammering the last nail in the coffin.

• Like 3

Which is Rolling Stone's primary target group? I'm guessing now, but I'm pretty sure it isn't young people that mostly listen to hiphop or Spotify's Top 50. Trying to combine old time rock & roll with contemporary trap or electropop from the latest decade just makes the list look like a bloody mess.

Lorde's "Royals" is better than the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction"? Really? The same goes for Kanye West's "Runaways" which is two spots stronger than Bruce's "Born to Run" (And squeezed inbetween those two are Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You".) 

If you're gonna make a list like this it would make a lot more sense to have a group of people with similar taste, because that would make a list like this much more credible and coherent. Now it's basically just a list of random 500 songs that a few hundred people like. 

Personally I mostly listen to rock & roll and its different subgenres, and while I don't like everything (I can't stand Queen for example) I'm not really surprised to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" at a higher spot than "Born to Run" (even if I really really hate that song), because they are both classic rock songs from the same era. I don't really mind seeing Aretha Franklin's "Respect" at the top spot, even if it's not in my personal top 500 favorite songs.

However I do think it is a fu**ing joke to see "Gasolina" cracking the top 50, while the Animals "The House of the Rising Sun" only reaching #471. And the Supremes' "Baby Love" is obviously only good enough to barely make the list at all. And I totally think that "Born to Run" is OBJECTIVELY a better song than "Get Ur Freak On". 

And no one can deny that the most important thing with this list was to make it much more "diverse", "including" and "relevant" than the last list. There's no way that the top 50 would look like this if Rolling Stone had an online poll asking for their readers' favorite songs. And do they really think that any group will be satisfied with this? I don't think for a second that people in my age or younger that listen to hiphop/RnB/electropop or whatever read Rolling Stone, so what's the point trying to impress them anyway? 

I guess this picture kinda sums up my opinion of this list:

1828927986_hellofellow.thumb.jpg.f14dfb867df019d05b0b9d51351d770d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, High Lonesome said:

Which is Rolling Stone's primary target group? I'm guessing now, but I'm pretty sure it isn't young people that mostly listen to hiphop or Spotify's Top 50. Trying to combine old time rock & roll with contemporary trap or electropop from the latest decade just makes the list look like a bloody mess.

Lorde's "Royals" is better than the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction"? Really? The same goes for Kanye West's "Runaways" which is two spots stronger than Bruce's "Born to Run" (And squeezed inbetween those two are Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You".) 

If you're gonna make a list like this it would make a lot more sense to have a group of people with similar taste, because that would make a list like this much more credible and coherent. Now it's basically just a list of random 500 songs that a few hundred people like. 

Personally I mostly listen to rock & roll and its different subgenres, and while I don't like everything (I can't stand Queen for example) I'm not really surprised to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" at a higher spot than "Born to Run" (even if I really really hate that song), because they are both classic rock songs from the same era. I don't really mind seeing Aretha Franklin's "Respect" at the top spot, even if it's not in my personal top 500 favorite songs.

However I do think it is a fu**ing joke to see "Gasolina" cracking the top 50, while the Animals "The House of the Rising Sun" only reaching #471. And the Supremes' "Baby Love" is obviously only good enough to barely make the list at all. And I totally think that "Born to Run" is OBJECTIVELY a better song than "Get Ur Freak On". 

And no one can deny that the most important thing with this list was to make it much more "diverse", "including" and "relevant" than the last list. There's no way that the top 50 would look like this if Rolling Stone had an online poll asking for their readers' favorite songs. And do they really think that any group will be satisfied with this? I don't think for a second that people in my age or younger that listen to hiphop/RnB/electropop or whatever read Rolling Stone, so what's the point trying to impress them anyway? 

I guess this picture kinda sums up my opinion of this list:

1828927986_hellofellow.thumb.jpg.f14dfb867df019d05b0b9d51351d770d.jpg

Edit: I didn't even read the whole list, because I really don't care that much about it, and after looking through the top 50 I realized that the list was a total joke anyway.

But I guess they got a lot of hate clicks from people, and it's probably a much more shared and read article than most other stuff they write, so good for them.

• Like 3

oh fuck off !

sorry Whitney/ Dolly but i will always love you is not rock & roll

im throwing this list in the bin

(even if i like and actually own both versions of this song on cd)

• Haha 1

I don't get the discussion about rock and roll?

Discussions about the list itself, what is in it and not, can be endless, but they -Rolling Stone- do not say it is a list of the 500 greatest rock (or rock and roll) songs of all time.

On the contrary, they say this:  'Where the 2004 version of the list was dominated by early rock and soul, the new edition contains more hip-hop, modern country, indie rock, Latin pop, reggae, and R&B.'

.....but then.......

1. Aretha Franklin. Nothing wrong with that, the most famous song by one of the greatest voices ever heard on this planet.

2. Public Enemey. OK-no reason to read any further, this list can not be taken seriously!:o

Edit, some more: I did not browse through the whole list (yet), but I was pleasantly surprised by Townes Van Zandt-Pancho & Lefty (at nr. 498). Which is without doubt his most famous song, and a good song too; but I don't think it is one of his very best songs; or at least it is not one of my personal favourite Townes songs. All is personal, indeed.

This list is quite hilarious and really not worthy fighting about. I find it more interesting how the lists or peoples opinions about the greatest songs or albums has Become almost a "trained" opinion. In other words is Respect even Aretha Franklins greatest song. I certainly dont think it is, hell its not even her song. Is Stairway even Zeppelins greatest song, Id argue not even close. We are just used to seeing them there or saying they should be at the top. 

It gets everyone riled up though and that all RS cares about. It gained some attention which is what they sorely need.

The top 50 song list was so ridiculous that I didn't even bother with the rest. For instance, I think they have the Beach Boys God Only Knows in the top 10 or 20, when that song didn't even make their most famous retrospective compilation, Endless Summer.

And why such love for Strawberry Fields Forever? I don't know, there might be like 200 better Beatles songs than that. Maybe it's for the backwards Paul is dead/Strawberry Jam controversy. :huh:

6 hours ago, Kooly said:

The top 50 song list was so ridiculous that I didn't even bother with the rest. For instance, I think they have the Beach Boys God Only Knows in the top 10 or 20, when that song didn't even make their most famous retrospective compilation, Endless Summer.

And why such love for Strawberry Fields Forever? I don't know, there might be like 200 better Beatles songs than that. Maybe it's for the backwards Paul is dead/Strawberry Jam controversy. :huh:

My Taste is notoriously questionable .....But there are three songs on Zoso alone i like more than Stairway.