Greasy Lake Community

what the hell ?lyrics of born in the usa

17 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Since I am chinese.today I use a chinese music app check out some commments about bruce' song born in the usa

Some comments seems angry about yellow man line.they even try to start some mess .wtf is wrong with these people?

The song was written in the eighties. It certainly wouldn’t fly now.

• CmonMrTrouble changed the title to what the hell ?lyrics of born in the usa

Cultural changes will often make musical lyrics seem "out of touch" but at the time that language was common.  Bruce here is singing in the early 80's about an event happening maybe 10 years before, so this is a almost 50 year old term when we look at it today.

I don't know much about Chinese culture 40 years ago, but in the US there have been major changes about many social topics, and racial terms are one example of big swings in opinion.  The topic of the verse is the Vietnam war, which covered a time period from the mid-50's to the early 70's and the cultural language here was intentionally demeaning to the enemy - not something only Americans have done as it's much easier to kill your enemy after you have diminished their humanity and desire to live as they wish......

The same happens today, too many in the world hate others by category alone, oftentimes while remaining ignorant of the sort of people they are choosing to hate - as Sting famously quipped "Do Russian mothers love their children too?" 

Of course, in this song Bruce isn't making an argument about the validity of war - but was simply expressing how the culture of that time justified the participation in a conflict - "to go and kill the yellow man" 

Much like the reference to "our pa's each own one of the World Trade Centers" in Darlington County from the same album, things change and sometimes there are unintentional consequences (some wish Bruce wouldn't sing this verse again) but the art speaks for the time when it is created and I think that is as it should be

• Like 8

For starters, the song BITUSA was not about the Chinese, but the Vietnamese, right?

But more importantly, I don’t think Bruce himself was making an ethnic slur with “yellow man”.  I don’t even think the song’s narrator was even making a slur.  I hear that line more as the narrator making air quotes while saying “yellow man”, and using the term sarcastically, as a criticism of what the narrator perceived as an unjustified war.

• Like 5

More Woke nonsense.

Anyone wanna fight over 'coon skin cap'? Yeah, I know it's shorthand for racoon, but still, there must be some Wokies looking to be offended on someone else's behalf.

• Like 5

Well .Some people even try to get this song censored in China desipte there.are some comment point out that slur is used for irony . But most comments are like 'blruu. Who cares. He is antichina'

jesus.those fucking sheep.what the fuck is going on in their heads.fuck all.of them.fucking no good ,simple minded.low iq son of bicth.

• Love Love Love! 1

7 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

jesus.those fucking sheep.what the fuck is going on in their heads.fuck all.of them.fucking no good ,simple minded.low iq son of bicth

I would love to hear this rant in your native tongue! :)

• Haha 5

Maybe it's not a coincidence that Bossy never released the BITUSA box set.

He's pretty much admitted that he hates the full-band arrangement of the title song because it's "misunderstood." Told us how terrible the song and image was once he cashed all the checks. He gave My Hometown to Joe Biden for his presidential campaign, sullying the song to a certain percentage of his fan-base. Those two songs were the artistic bookends to his most popular album, said Jimmy Iovine, and now the legs have been cut out from both of them. Not to mention that one of the most popular songs on the album begins with "Hey little girl is your daddy home," which doesn't play in the "woke" era.

Bruce became so fascinated with wanting to become the dearest "Father Knows Best" of our country that he failed to protect the legacy of his recorded work and allowed it to be manipulated

I might have to fine-tooth scan the lyrics to the rest of the songs on the album, see if there's anymore grist for the mill. :o

2 minutes ago, Kooly said:

Not to mention that one of the most popular songs on the album begins with "Hey little girl is your daddy home," which doesn't play in the "woke" era.

Yup, another example of lyrics not wearing well when one looks closely at them 40 years further on down the road.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kooly said:

Maybe it's not a coincidence that Bossy never released the BITUSA box set.

He's pretty much admitted that he hates the full-band arrangement of the title song because it's "misunderstood." Told us how terrible the song and image was once he cashed all the checks. He gave My Hometown to Joe Biden for his presidential campaign, sullying the song to a certain percentage of his fan-base. Those two songs were the artistic bookends to his most popular album, said Jimmy Iovine, and now the legs have been cut out from both of them. Not to mention that one of the most popular songs on the album begins with "Hey little girl is your daddy home," which doesn't play in the "woke" era.

Bruce became so fascinated with wanting to become the dearest "Father Knows Best" of our country that he failed to protect the legacy of his recorded work and allowed it to be manipulated

I might have to fine-tooth scan the lyrics to the rest of the songs on the album, see if there's anymore grist for the mill. :o

I think the song BITUSA holds up fine. It’s a fairly accurate portrayal of a particular type of person at a particular time in America.  

• Like 1

Floom and Kooly have shown us how crazy our politics' have become. How the hell have you all become Bruce fans?  I listen to all songs presented and think of nothing more then what they are Anthem's. OMG, we could sit here all day long picking apart Bruce and everyone else's tune. 

I'm going back to devil worshipping and Judas Priest, no Wokeism there at all.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Floom and Kooly have shown us how crazy our politics' have become. How the hell have you all become Bruce fans?  I listen to all songs presented and think of nothing more then what they are Anthem's. OMG, we could sit here all day long picking apart Bruce and everyone else's tune. 

I'm going back to devil worshipping and Judas Priest, no Wokeism there at all.   

I’m really not sure what you’re  getting at.   If anything, BITUSA is an anthem to a guy who grew up beaten, got busted and was given the option to go to jail or enlist.  That was very common in the 60’s.  He was a loser.  He got out and continued to be a loser.  

He fought in a war for reasons he never understood, He was never able to get a job, he blamed the government for his problems. He’s a model trumper 

the song is brilliant.  A perfect encapsulation of the American working class in the 60’s as written in the 80’s by a guy who never served or worked in a factory 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it’s excellent that Springsteen was open minded enough to use the template for conservative Americans in his most well known song.  

and Trumpers have always been with us, even in 1984.  They just voted for Reagan 

• Like 1

The reason I like the song is because it's a good rock song, and that's most likely why the vast majority likes the song. I've been to more than one party where people fist pump the air and yell the chorus to Born in the U.S.A. (I'm Swedish btw), and I don't think anyone in that room thought so much more about it at the moment.

Now, when it comes to the lyrics I've always looked at it as a song that is both critical of the American invasion of Vietnam, and how the veterans where treated when they came back home. Is there really much more to it?

• Like 3

Bruce is singing in the third person at a specific point in history. The term 'yellow man' would have been in the vernacular back then. Bruce wasn't being racist. There's no need to change a thing.

• Like 6

There have been politics wrapped in this song since it's release.

However, we are a politics free zone, so please restrain your argument and avoid confrontation with your fellow Bruce fans - insults and derogatory comments about our members will be deleted.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Just did, 

an Anthem 

Jimmy. I think you're a nice guy. I'd sit down & have a beer with you. I'd go see a show with you. The thing is Jimmy, & I'm sorry, but sometimes you come off as simplistic and naive in your views. You want to keep things as simple and black and white as possible. Let me ask you this...What do you mean when you say this song is an "anthem" to you? Is it because people pump their fists in the air when they hear it live at a show, or on the radio? Is it the beat, is it the riff that makes this song an "anthem"? What is your definition of an anthem, song-wise?