Greasy Lake Community

what the hell ?lyrics of born in the usa

Lots of questionable takes in this whole discourse that honestly turn more of an eye than the original lyric at-hand.

I always took the line to be Bruce recounting how the propagandized military referred to the Vietnamese, not how Bruce's character thought of them. I think it should read with quotation marks around that line, as if he is parroting what his commanding officer is telling him to do. This shows the powerful ignorance of that line, then.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 4:31 PM, DaveNJ95 said:

And Bono's original line in Do They know it's Christmas was changed in more recent performances.

Really?  It shouldn't be.  It was the most powerful line in the song, and Bono's delivery of it, a bitter, accusing tone, was perfect.

It's what made people empty their wallets.  We felt guilty.  Because it was the truth - everybody was thankful it wasn't happening to them, and that line struck home. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Really?  It shouldn't be.  It was the most powerful line in the song, and Bono's delivery of it, a bitter, accusing tone, was perfect.

It's what made people empty their wallets.  We felt guilty.  Because it was the truth - everybody was thankful it wasn't happening to them, and that line struck home. 

I don't like that line cos I don't think I'd ever want anyone to suffer like that. However ... how often do we thank goodness that we live here, not elsewhere? That's what should be remembered and, as Rizla says, one of the reasons we paid up. 

That line did the job.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I don't like that line cos I don't think I'd ever want anyone to suffer like that. However ... how often do we thank goodness that we live here, not elsewhere? That's what should be remembered and, as Rizla says, one of the reasons we paid up. 

That line did the job.

Thanks, Eileen.  That's just it, we didn't like that line because while we didn't actively want others to suffer, we couldn't help being grateful that it wasn't us.  It made us uncomfortable about feeling that way.
When people who weren't even born at the time are "offended" by that line, I find that offensive.

It really comes back to what I said earlier about people being superficial and not paying attention to the deeper meaning.  That line isn't an instruction.  It's an invitation to examine our own thoughts and conscience.

• Like 1