Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

No nukes box set and double vinyl Nov 19th 2021 release


Amo6591
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just watching now. Regarding The River, I expected to see a cutaway to a girl in the audience who was clearly emotional about the song, but its not there. Am I getting mixed up with another early live version of the song, on video? Or maybe I am thinking of the Anthology....

Years ago - decades ago - when RTE started to show MTV music videos they would often play a Bruce trio, Atlantic City, The River (a live version) and Rosalita. I thought the last two were from this show, and on The River clip there was this shot of a female fan....

Am I totally up the left here? 

Also - the River lyrics are slightly different at the start, maybe someone mentioned that already 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

Just watching now. Regarding The River, I expected to see a cutaway to a girl in the audience who was clearly emotional about the song, but its not there. Am I getting mixed up with another early live version of the song, on video? Or maybe I am thinking of the Anthology....

Years ago - decades ago - when RTE started to show MTV music videos they would often play a Bruce trio, Atlantic City, The River (a live version) and Rosalita. I thought the last two were from this show, and on The River clip there was this shot of a female fan....

Am I totally up the left here? 

Also - the River lyrics are slightly different at the start, maybe someone mentioned that already 

This version of The River is from the other night.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

Just watching now. Regarding The River, I expected to see a cutaway to a girl in the audience who was clearly emotional about the song, but its not there. Am I getting mixed up with another early live version of the song, on video? Or maybe I am thinking of the Anthology....

Years ago - decades ago - when RTE started to show MTV music videos they would often play a Bruce trio, Atlantic City, The River (a live version) and Rosalita. I thought the last two were from this show, and on The River clip there was this shot of a female fan....

Am I totally up the left here? 

Also - the River lyrics are slightly different at the start, maybe someone mentioned that already 

Yes and that Rosalita is the one filmed in Phoenix, July 78. Remember them playing that trio on TV as well back in the day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

A wonderful film. The slightly rough and ready quality resulting from hand held cameras makes it all the more exciting, like being in the audience.

And for this reason, I almost always prefer my unofficial blu rays. Filming from the pit makes it feel more like being there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

It should go without saying that the following is personal opinion:

. . . 

The continuity issue caused by mixing two nights will only bother those who want to find something to be bothered about.

 

I understand that's your opinion, but to lump everyone together by claiming "the continuity issue caused by mixing the two nights will only bother those who want to find something to be bothered about" is intellectually and emotionally lazy, at best, and intellectually and emotionally dishonest, at worst.  In your opinion, can one critique the editing without being bothered?  Or looking to be bothered? Really.

We're on Greasy Lake, "where you will be able to discuss everything and anything about your favorite artist."  Zimny's editing, particularly with a product they chose to proclaim as "legendary," is open to critique.  Some may say even invites criticism. That's part of being a fan, especially a Springsteen fan. I have been looking to love this product. Waiting more than 40 years for it. But knowing Zimny's history of editing Tempe, I had my concerns with him being involved, which I expressed when the product was announced. 

The editing between Q23 and Rave On, on top of the credits rolling during Rave, looks really sloppy, unprofessional, and almost as if he didn't know how to end the film. I would have loved to have seen what real fans would have done with the raw footage, fans like the cat who recently put together the Toronto 84 video, or JEMS, or mjk, or hrubesh, or any other of the unknown, to me, dedicated fans who know their stuff and generously share. 

As everyone on GL probably knows, each show is different, even shows with the same or almost the same set lists.  You need look no further than the previous simultaneous Nugs audio release of both Nuke shows to establish this incontestable fact. Hopefully, one day, they will release each set, in their entirety.  No reason not to if it is so legendary. And it is. Those who don't want that, their choice. And anyone claiming they can't release each set in their entirety, because they don't have all the raw film, is speculating, unless you have proof otherwise.  Also, if anyone complains it would cost too much, those with just a rudimentary understanding of economies of scale would have to agree that releasing both sets would have cost advantages. With Springsteen's enormous wealth, this could have easily been done, if they wanted to. Obviously, they didn't, and that's their call.  So we get Zimny's composite.

I was there, eighth row, at Birthday Nukes, so I am happy with the footage, but not some of the editing, including the composite nature of the release. Many of us who are justifiably critiquing the editing choices, and they were choices, make no mistake about that, are huge fans that certainly were not looking for anything to be "bothered about." Quite the contrary, we were ecstatic about the upcoming release.  The footage is fantastic. The performance? Outstanding. Legendary, even. The editing?  Not so much. And calling out the editing choices doesn't mean we "want[ed] to find something to be bothered about" or are any less of a fan. Some of us pointing out the editing faults have extraordinary passion for Springsteen, the E Streeters, and have been around for awhile.  We want the best. 

 

  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rumble said:

I understand that's your opinion, but to lump everyone together by claiming "the continuity issue caused by mixing the two nights will only bother those who want to find something to be bothered about" is intellectually and emotionally lazy, at best, and intellectually and emotionally dishonest, at worst.  In your opinion, can one critique the editing without being bothered?  Or looking to be bothered? Really.

We're on Greasy Lake, "where you will be able to discuss everything and anything about your favorite artist."  Zimny's editing, particularly with a product they chose to proclaim as "legendary," is open to critique.  Some may say even invites criticism. That's part of being a fan, especially a Springsteen fan. I have been looking to love this product. Waiting more than 40 years for it. But knowing Zimny's history of editing Tempe, I had my concerns with him being involved, which I expressed when the product was announced. 

The editing between Q23 and Rave On, on top of the credits rolling during Rave, looks really sloppy, unprofessional, and almost as if he didn't know how to end the film. I would have loved to have seen what real fans would have done with the raw footage, fans like the cat who recently put together the Toronto 84 video, or JEMS, or mjk, or hrubesh, or any other of the unknown, to me, dedicated fans who know their stuff and generously share. 

As everyone on GL probably knows, each show is different, even shows with the same or almost the same set lists.  You need look no further than the previous simultaneous Nugs audio release of both Nuke shows to establish this incontestable fact. Hopefully, one day, they will release each set, in their entirety.  No reason not to if it is so legendary. And it is. Those who don't want that, their choice. And anyone claiming they can't release each set in their entirety, because they don't have all the raw film, is speculating, unless you have proof otherwise.  Also, if anyone complains it would cost too much, those with just a rudimentary understanding of economies of scale would have to agree that releasing both sets would have cost advantages. With Springsteen's enormous wealth, this could have easily been done, if they wanted to. Obviously, they didn't, and that's their call.  So we get Zimny's composite.

I was there, eighth row, at Birthday Nukes, so I am happy with the footage, but not some of the editing, including the composite nature of the release. Many of us who are justifiably critiquing the editing choices, and they were choices, make no mistake about that, are huge fans that certainly were not looking for anything to be "bothered about." Quite the contrary, we were ecstatic about the upcoming release.  The footage is fantastic. The performance? Outstanding. Legendary, even. The editing?  Not so much. And calling out the editing choices doesn't mean we "want[ed] to find something to be bothered about" or are any less of a fan. Some of us pointing out the editing faults have extraordinary passion for Springsteen, the E Streeters, and have been around for awhile.  We want the best. 

 

  

Great blu ray. Magnificent post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you are saying hopefully with a wink 

''if only '' Zimny's had big fixed cameras with all the high tech of today's equipment filming to work with the editing would have been so much better .  :lol::lol: 

 

JEMS,  mjk, or hrubesh   who's interested in them anymore ?   no one  needs them -dead in the water.

 

No nukes box set and double vinyl Nov 19th 2021 release-AS GOOD AS IT GETS folks!  

so just enjoy every second of the music and the film.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's fabulous.

Bruce was just incredible back then.

Clarence was so much a part of the whole experience...and Danny. Both hugely missed to this day.

I have to say though that my overall impression having watched it right through, is that this is a release for the committed fans only. It's not going to convert any non-believers.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, catfish said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So you are saying hopefully with a wink"

    I don't wink. Say what I mean, mean what I say.

"'if only' Zimny's had big fixed cameras with all the high tech of today's equipment filming to work with the editing would have been so much better .  :lol::lol: "

   What a simplistic, fact-free argument.  Cameras/Tech do not and cannot explain the composite choice nor the inexplicable editing choices, like those made at the end of the movie.

For one example of many, the easiest and most blatant. In the order they appear at the end of the movie: (1) Band finishes Quarter to Three, as camera pulls back from the front of the stage along the floor; (2) screen shots without concert/any images or text; (3) Daytime shot of fans? on a wall, outside, presumably at the Garden, but (where/when?) in broad daylight, as credits begin to roll, and will remain rolling until about the last 90 seconds of the film; (4) Inside garden, shot of audience from the empty stage, lights off (appears to be 9/21, but who knows); (5) Bruce on stage 9/22, at mic, who knows when, certainly not after Quarter to Three, as he left before the end of the song never to return (total manipulation by Zimny with this shot); (6) Another screen shot without concert/any images or text; (7) 9/21 Bruce talking to someone in front row, with Rave on instrumental introduction playing; and, (8) Band and Bruce blast into Rave On, again with credits rolling until there is about 90 seconds left in the film. Rave On is a Rave, one of his most ferocious covers and performances, and to present the 9/21 Rave On the way Zimny did is simply a piker move.  Neither tech nor cameras have anything to do with these choices. 

"JEMS,  mjk, or hrubesh   who's interested in them anymore ?   no one  needs them -dead in the water."  

 These cats are great and have shared so much great material. What have ever contributed to the community?  "You shall know them by their fruits." Indeed.

"No nukes box set and double vinyl Nov 19th 2021 release-AS GOOD AS IT GETS folks!  

so just enjoy every second of the music and the film." 

You sound like like you are in sales and selling the record for Inc.

Like I said, I was there on Birthday Nukes, had a blast, loved the show, and am a passionate purist. I love the footage in the new release I bought from Amazon, but the editing leaves something to be desired.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

It's fabulous.

Bruce was just incredible back then.

Clarence was so much a part of the whole experience...and Danny. Both hugely missed to this day.

I have to say though that my overall impression having watched it right through, is that this is a release for the committed fans only. It's not going to convert any non-believers.

 

That opinion surprises me....I mean if you want to use LINYC i guess i couldn't really fault your logic ..... But i was thinking the exact opposite ..... 3 hours is a big time investment for the non-believers ....and this is a brilliant 90 minutes that one could easily argue contains possibly his 7 or 8 best songs, Clarence at an absolute mind blowing peak .....with brilliant sound and picture ....That Quarter To Three that is one of the great rock and roll clips in film history .....If we can't convince them with this .....I'm out :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Making up for Live in New York City. 

I tell you that cd had me scratching my head as i transitioned from a casual curious fan into Daisey Jeep

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MacBruce said:

It's fabulous.

Bruce was just incredible back then.

Clarence was so much a part of the whole experience...and Danny. Both hugely missed to this day.

I have to say though that my overall impression having watched it right through, is that this is a release for the committed fans only. It's not going to convert any non-believers.

 

I heard a different radio station promoting it today (one that advertises itself as the 80,s, 90's (and today ...maybe)

Yesterday i heard it promoted on a local station that plays a lot of 70s rock and pop - i only ever hear BITUSA tracks and hungry heart - hoping this will change that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

That opinion surprises me....I mean if you want to use LINYC i guess i couldn't really fault your logic ..... But i was thinking the exact opposite ..... 3 hours is a big time investment for the non-believers ....and this is a brilliant 90 minutes that one could easily argue contains possibly his 7 or 8 best songs, Clarence at an absolute mind blowing peak .....with brilliant sound and picture ....That Quarter To Three that is one of the great rock and roll clips in film history .....If we can't convince them with this .....I'm out :lol:

Affirm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, catfish said:

So you are saying hopefully with a wink 

''if only '' Zimny's had big fixed cameras with all the high tech of today's equipment filming to work with the editing would have been so much better .  :lol::lol: 

 

JEMS,  mjk, or hrubesh   who's interested in them anymore ?   no one  needs them -dead in the water.

 

No nukes box set and double vinyl Nov 19th 2021 release-AS GOOD AS IT GETS folks!  

so just enjoy every second of the music and the film.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Zimny did a phenomenal job on this project.  Sorry to disappoint the Zimny haters.  The No Nukes essay by cameraman Jon Kilik (contained in the physical release) is outstanding sheds a lot of light on how challenging it was to film Springsteen and band live on stage during these two nights.  
 

Maybe before criticizing the end product one should get the relevant information first.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Zimny did a phenomenal job on this project.  Sorry to disappoint the Zimny haters.  The No Nukes essay by cameraman Jon Kilik (contained in the physical release) is outstanding sheds a lot of light on how challenging it was to film Springsteen and band live on stage during these two nights.  
 

Maybe before criticizing the end product one should get the relevant information first.  

Hate is an illogical and wasted expression of energy. 

Equating criticism with hating is also illogical.

G-Man, where in the Kilik essay does it say that Zimny had to run the credits during Rave On?  Where did he say Zimny had to show the afternoon outdoor shot after Quarter to Three, and then he had to show a camera filming back inside the Garden? Et al.  That editing after Quarter to Three is nonsensical and entirely Zinmy's choices, that were not in any way dictated by the unavailable/available footage. Those are the facts.

Maybe before criticizing those who critique Zimny, and support their critique with easily verifiable facts, or "relevant information," to use your phrase, one could gain credibility and persuasiveness by  looking at the end product with less emotion to allow a logical, fact-based experssion of their evaluation of the project.  Or not.  

In any event, the raw footage and performance is outstanding, something I am celebrating, and brings back a lot of great memories, long before Zimny entered the picture, I might add. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MacBruce said:

It's fabulous.

Bruce was just incredible back then.

Clarence was so much a part of the whole experience...and Danny. Both hugely missed to this day.

I have to say though that my overall impression having watched it right through, is that this is a release for the committed fans only. It's not going to convert any non-believers.

 

I think the whole point of this release is to show Clarence and Danny both young and fit. Hadn't it been for the LTY documentary and all the "nostalgia" involved in that album project, this MUSE footage would have remained in the vaults forever, despite its value and its now proclaimed "legendary" status. As for converting non-believers, that ship sailed in the mid-Eighties/early Nineties, I'm afraid.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...