Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

No nukes box set and double vinyl Nov 19th 2021 release


Amo6591
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Personally, I love the way it is edited and can't take my eyes off it for fear of missing a nuance. What some people might see as flaws are exactly what I like about it: The way a camera tries to pan from one person to another, misses the target and has to readjust. The way the camera ends up focusing on the cups at the front of the stage, etc. I'm so pleased that it was edited to leave all these things in instead of trying to make a less exciting, perfect "clean" edit. 

In the words (almost) of the ancient proverb; one man's sloppy editing is another man's piece of brilliance.

Really good points. It’s like watching a bootleg video from the pit at times which I really like, but whilst the filming is not even as professional as Olli’s (dvd dubbing guy) unofficial 2016 blu rays, we are compensated by the fact we are watching Bruce and the band at their late 70’s peak era. 

I’d say I absolutely love more than 90% of this new No Nukes film, and around 10% was a missed opportunity. Overall I’m delighted that it’s now right up there with the very best of my Bruce blu ray collection. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

After watching the two No Nukes clips on the video anthology, I think the Thunder Road version in the original movie was better filmed.  Maybe it was because Springsteen chose a different choreography.  In the movie, he climbs upon Roy’s piano to play his solo, grinning ear to ear, as he looked out over the arena.  Then, when Clarence comes in, Springsteen jumps from the piano at just the right time.  Clarence is shown with his big solo, and then Springsteen knees slides just perfectly up to Clarence.  In the film version, Springsteen goes to the riser behind Max’s drums to play his solo, and Clarence plays his solo beside Springsteen.  While there is a nice moment between Bruce and Max, this version lacks the build up to the dramatic ending as seen in the original movie version.  
 

On the other hand, the new River version is superior to the movie version, where the movie version focuses almost exclusively on Springsteen’s face, to the point where the constant blinking/twitching of Springsteen’s eyes is distracting and almost disturbing.  It’s just too much of a close up.  Now, I will say that both videos on the anthology are in widescreen mode, and maybe that explains why Springsteen’s face dominates the screen, as it is zoomed in.

BONUS with Thunder road and THE RIVER ?????   nooo eh...

it's incredible.... :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

why didnt they use that one ? is night two better ?

Maybe it is just this: give fans the previously unseen versions of Thunder Road and The River; not the versions they are already familiair with for decades. Give them something new.

As previous post said, they could have included them as 'bonus tracks'. Or just release both nights in full.

In the end, always something to complain about. That's why we are diehard fans, to complain about everything.:)

Edit: if the Video Anthology versions of The River and Thunder Road were used, then without doubt there would have been complaints 'Why did they not use the prevously unseen versions from the other night? '. Always something to complain about indeed.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Frank said:

When is it on the film? I went directly to Quarter to Three, but all I can see is Bruce discussing with somebody before Rave On. ‘No footage of the Cake’ :(  Is it elsewhere?

I want a refund… (or some dessert, at least)

No, wait. It’s after Promised Land! And he’s not throwing the cake at Lynn. Bloody Dave Marsh and his alternative facts… ;) 

A10D0E7F-B807-455C-9F1E-1E2FE4371376.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually adore this new version of Thunder Road. My favourite version of the song ever. The River is also a phenomenal performance. The editing is just the right mix of control and looseness. Sure there are camera shots of the speakers or the clock at times but that is the result of a camera crew working blind. Too many cutaways in the editing process might spoil the spontenaity just for the sake of getting a shot of a guitar solo. The cut away to the far camera when Bruce call's Clarence up the the rear of the stage did anyone notice Clarence stumble up those steps - not something we need to see up close so carefully smoothed out casual obervers won't notice.

Genuine probably very silly question. What was the guitar lead thing all about? Could it not be just plugged back in by Bruce himself or was this part of a pre-planned skit?

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Edit: if the Video Anthology versions of The River and Thunder Road were used, then without doubt there would have been complaints 'Why did they not use the prevously unseen versions from the other night? '. Always something to complain about indeed.

They could have added them as a bonus  feature after the end credits.  Also I think the closing credits could have been done over a non show song  as somebody has said earlier Roulette or perhaps Glory Days and footage that was not used in the film.

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I am blown away with this release in sound, energy and also the movie for seventies footage is very good. Better than i expected when they announced this release.

I  am still wondering why they (after they took the Archive release versions down) they didn't choose to let Clearmountain remix both shows and release them in full glory as part of this box. Although i am happy with the Archive versions but for the completeness i wish they would have done that. 

Apart from this i am really happy with release. And what others also write there is always something to complain about

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bigbonesbilly said:

They could have added them as a bonus  feature after the end credits.  Also I think the closing credits could have been done over a non show song  as somebody has said earlier 

The audio for Rave On is taken from a two track source so the audio is poor compared to the rest of the show, so I'm guessing that's why they did it like they did.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

Maybe it is just this: give fans the previously unseen versions of Thunder Road and The River; not the versions they are already familiair with for decades. Give them something new.

As previous post said, they could have included them as 'bonus tracks'. Or just release both nights in full.

In the end, always something to complain about. That's why we are diehard fans, to complain about everything.:)

Edit: if the Video Anthology versions of The River and Thunder Road were used, then without doubt there would have been complaints 'Why did they not use the prevously unseen versions from the other night? '. Always something to complain about indeed.

Deluxe Edition on the way ?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Frank said:

When is it on the film? I went directly to Quarter to Three, but all I can see is Bruce discussing with somebody before Rave On. ‘No footage of the Cake’ :(  Is it elsewhere?

I want a refund… (or some dessert, at least)

Right before The River....but just seen someone else replied lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am guessing they just didn't have enough film footage to release both shows in their entirety, but I really like what Oasis did with their recent Knebworth release.  There is the main documentary film which has footage from both nights but they also released both shows in full on the Bluray/DVDs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the only flaw of bluray, technically speaking, is that despite all the settings it is seen at 4: 3 with the black bars on the side and not in full screen .... unless in the player settings, ps5, reduce the resolution to 1080p and then goes to tv settings ZOOM ...... BUT YOU CAN'T SEE IT 16/9 FULL SCREEN......... someone can explain why .....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unclejosh said:

I am guessing they just didn't have enough film footage to release both shows in their entirety, but I really like what Oasis did with their recent Knebworth release.  There is the main documentary film which has footage from both nights but they also released both shows in full on the Bluray/DVDs.

Did not know that about the Oasis Documentary, unclejosh.  They did it right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bigbonesbilly said:

They could have added them as a bonus  feature after the end credits.  Also I think the closing credits could have been done over a non show song  as somebody has said earlier Roulette or perhaps Glory Days and footage that was not used in the film.

year (speaking as someone who hasn.t seen the dvd yet:lol:) Roulette over the credits would have been awsome !

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(reaches in his pocket for two cents) I would like to chime in with my bewilderment over the "mixed" reaction this absolute masterpiece of a release is getting here. I digress. Western Stars, Letter To You and No Nukes. I could almost skip my anti-depressants this stuff is so good. I guess I'm fortunate the Nukes experience is new to me. My goodness some of the folk here act like Morrissey fans :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my case....I Am getting old and cranky lol....but no nukes is an incredible release..... maybe not quite the miracle tracks and the Tempe DVD felt to me at the time.....but still a miracle that gave me a lump in the throat more than a few times....will definitely get played for the family after Thanksgiving dinner

  • Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, piraza said:

the only flaw of bluray, technically speaking, is that despite all the settings it is seen at 4: 3 with the black bars on the side and not in full screen .... unless in the player settings, ps5, reduce the resolution to 1080p and then goes to tv settings ZOOM ...... BUT YOU CAN'T SEE IT 16/9 FULL SCREEN......... someone can explain why .....

 

You can absolutely do this.  I've done this myself and it looks quite good in widescreen.  In my case, I didn't make any changes on the blu-ray player, but rather just used the Zoom button on the TV.

You'll be missing some image on the top and bottom and some resolution, but it'll still be about 720p.  

I still prefer the open-matte 4:3 image as is default, but essentially we have both options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, USAman said:

The oasis box set does not include dvds of both concerts. Its 2cds of live performance and a dvd of the film.

Incorrect.  Both shows are included in the Super Deluxe version.

 

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/oasis-knebworth-1996/

 

https://shop.oasisinet.com/product/84829

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...