Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce songs make you cry?

I was listening to None but the Brave earlier this week and the song made me cry, like it always does. That got me wondering, which Bruce songs make you cry. These are the ones that I just cannot listen to without crying:

Independence Day

None but the Brave

Walk Like a Man

There are many more songs that bring me very close to tears and sometimes actually make me cry.

• Like 1

I very rarely cry, almost never, but there's a part in We Are Alive which leaves me misty-eyes and that's when he sings "Let your mind rest easy, sleep well my friend. It's only our bodies that betray us in the end" that makes me at least misty-eyed. I don't really like that song, but that part is just too much. 

Other songs that make me emotional are Shut Out the Light and Brothers Under the Bridge.

So does My Lover Man. Not so much the lyrics, but there's something about that music that gets me in a very bittersweet and nostalgic state of mind. I don't why, because I don't have any memories of hearing it when I was a kid or teenager or anything, but everytime I listen to it I'm thrown back to easier and more innocent times, which also gets me close to tears. I've listened to it three times in a row now, and wow, that melody really pulls at my heartstrings.

Tears of saddest : I'll See You in My Dreams, sometimes I-Day, sometimes Racin in the Streets. 

Tears of Joy: alot but just to name a few, Burnin Train(thinking about the opening tune next tour), Candy's Room, (intro in this tune from River 16)Ties That Bind. Prove it All Night 9/20/78. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

The Andy Williams version gets me every time! 

Nah ... that's There Goes My Miracle. ;)

Another one that gets me is one he didn't write - a certain version of Across The Borderline. In fact Ry Cooder might play on it.  All about the time, who taped it for me ... same with Janey ... and the long outro of a certain Incident when the instruments stop one by one.

Blimey - pass the hankies ...

• Thanks 1

I've seen so many times folks here say a Bruce song brought them to rears and I'm never sure if they mean it literally or just metaphorically as a feeling of emotion.  But if you guys always mean it as waterworks running I'll tell you this, y'all are a teary bunch. :huh:

6 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

The bullet mic version of Reason To Believe, but probably for different reasons.

ya checky shit Keith !:lol:

i was going to say fucking  all of them (for different reaaons) except bullet mic versions because they just make me grin thet are so ruckusly awaome!:lol:

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Born To Run.

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive,

Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide

just you wait till one day you get to be part of that live 

its the absolute best, you'll be drowning in tears of joy

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Really? 

image.thumb.png.7d55f4970fece00bbeeb862ebf082658.png

Although you may like this! 

i font know who she is or where you got her from Jimmy, but im very impressed :D

I could probably make a very long list,especially these days as since my stroke I seem to get emotional very easily but just off the top of my head,

Independence Day in Paris had me in tears as did Secret Garden in Leeds.

Down In The Hole gets to me "I'm Going To Dig Right Here Till I Get You Back" is one of the best lines he's written.

Of course I've had The Rising album playing at times over the last couple of weeks after not playing it for a fair while & that's been an emotional listen.

• Like 2

sometimes the music is just so darn beautuful and moves one as the best art should 

the first time i heard the remastered WIESS was a religious experience 

the opening credits of the darkness doco The promise 

across the boarder- the studio one with Danny 

the wall

I'll see you in my dreams because im still mourning my darling Tibby and also dear Marsha - and Welby and BBB and Birdman - they are all in that song

the musical outro of racing in the street when the ESB are at there most majestic 

your missing- i still remenber the firsr time i saw its video 

but when im at a live show i dont feel sad or feel like crying - i have only had stadium shows - although i was close with the river in Moncton because i had finally made it (to a Bruce show) because its just so joyful but one day when i get my 78 intro ....

but when im on my own and its just me and Bruce there are lots of moments - the 2016 river tour had a lot of these because i listen and pay attention and it was a huge revelation for me that born to run was also about his mum and dad, that our own mums and dads lived our dreams and disappointments long before we did - that keeps me awake at night 

i dont have any fancy letters after my name, Bruce Springsteen speaks in a voice i can understand, i learn and gain a greater understandings  of my world from him (despite our political differences)

He gives me the words to my feelings that i dont know how to express 

the first time i heard the promise from LINYC was the first time i felt understood, that i wasn't alone,. that other people felt like me so i cried a river 

during the winter i ban my beloved Joad album because its mostly devoid of hope and can just be too sad for my own good but the pictute he paints in  my mind is starkly beautiful like a tragic photo story in national geographic 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ya checky shit Keith !:lol:

i was going to say fucking  all of them (for different reaaons) except bullet mic versions because they just make me grin thet are so ruckusly awaome!:lol:

oh no

i spelt awsome wrong :(