Greasy Lake Community

Our collective Bruce history

With the start of a new month, I thought I would reorient my daily posting of audios and videos marking anniversaries of past performances. This thread is intended to mark Bruce's past performances, but also to entice the many members here to share their personal experiences with these shows, ticket stubs, etc.

October 1

today '78, Atlanta night 2 - The LastTime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

today 2004, Philly - Vote For Change tour begins

audio of it all, with not-properly-synced video - I have no idea why

THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / NO SURRENDER / LONESOME DAY / LOST IN THE FLOOD / JOHNNY 99 / YOUNGSTOWN / CENTERFIELD (with John Fogerty) / DEJA VU (ALL OVER AGAIN) (with John Fogerty) / FORTUNATE SON (with John Fogerty) / THE PROMISED LAND (with John Fogerty) / THE RISING / BECAUSE THE NIGHT (with Michael Stipe) / MARY'S PLACE / BORN TO RUN (with Mike Mills and Peter Buck) / PROUD MARY (with John Fogerty) / (WHAT'S SO FUNNY 'BOUT) PEACE, LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING (with R.E.M., John Fogerty, and Bright Eyes) / PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER (with R.E.M., John Fogerty, and Bright Eyes)

https://videopress.com/v/dHep8GzG

I really loved the Sessions band shows - and at first I was very unhappy about the idea. 

I didn't like Bruce "wasting time" with 100 year old songs, didn't want to hear him backed by a banjo and a washboard and didn't want to wear my overalls to a show

I was wrong - Bruce was right - again......your mileage may vary, but the shows were FUN!

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I didn't like Bruce "wasting time" with 100 year old songs, didn't want to hear him backed by a banjo and a washboard and didn't want to wear my overalls to a show

I was wrong - Bruce was right - again......your mileage may vary, but the shows were FUN!

Just highlighting for @Daisey Jeep's benefit :rolleyes:

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I really loved the Sessions band shows - and at first I was very unhappy about the idea. 

I wasn't a Bruce fan back then. But I agree with all said here. I "would have loved this tour" as I do with the Live in Dublin CD. 

some men can look mighty fine in a pair of overalls 

im feeling charitable today but this will never mean i want a similar ensemble ever again on Bruce's stage

i view that tour as educational (for me) as i only  knew one of those tradional folk songs

but  im still a bit sour buying the CD and finding the one available in NZ at that time did not have American land or how can a poor man live on it 

however

the back up singers were all wonderful and we got introduced to Charlie 

the banjo playing was of a high calibre but to be honest i prefer Kermit the Frog 

i hated the fiddle with fire in my belly even though i acknowledge it too was of a very high calibre but if i want to listen to the violin I'd rather go with a sympathy orchestra or something with cowboy boots

now Western stars might have made me want to go lay on the train tracks but that really was wonderful music no matter how i look at it

edit

highlights = further on up the road and open all night and maybe little might of mine because Cindy is awsome

edit #2

i am however happy Bruce enjoyed it 

i admit perhaps i may have enjoyed it if i was there but it just reminds me of the Irish Rovers too much

the Jeep add was 1000 times better for me 

hmmmm what's this thread about....?

15 hours ago, JimCT said:

With the start of a new month, I thought I would reorient my daily posting of audios and videos marking anniversaries of past performances. This thread is intended to mark Bruce's past performances, but also to entice the many members here to share their personal experiences with these shows, ticket stubs, etc.

October 1

im so glad your doing this Jim

12 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

im glad you had fun

it looked fun

its bearable with a lot of 'liquid refreshment'

im glad prove it all night stayed at home that tour

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

im so glad your doing this Jim

Yes!:)

23 hours ago, JimCT said:

...however, this should come with the warning the circulating tape of Atlanta 2 is a contender for the worst audience tape of the entire Darkness Tour  An (almost) unique performance (also played at the last night of the Darkness Tour) but an assault to the ears.

23 hours ago, JimCT said:

and today '96, Normal, IL - Point Blank

Point Blank was better in 1978.:ph34r:

• Like 1

today '85, LA - Growin' Up

I read once that someone thought this was too long, and should be eliminated. Anyone who experienced this live during that tour would disagree. This is one that clearly benefits from the video presentation ;) 

If this didn't stir your soul and get you to jump up you must have been dead.  

"as we stood there in the moonlight, we knew everything was gonna be alright ... because ... because ... when we touched"

BITUSA tour finale - 156 shows in all, I was at 24 :) Oh, to be young again, footloose and fancy free!

• Love Love Love! 1