Greasy Lake Community

Scottish football 2021-22

bdw

Although Glasgow Rangers look like they'll be top of the league when today's games end, there's been a bit of a challenge from the Edinburgh clubs (Hearts and Hibs) in the first few weeks of the season so maybe a more interesting season than usual is in store? (I don't think any team other than Celtic/Rangers has won the league for more than thirty years?!)

Of the traditional challengers, Aberdeen continue to disappoint. With the local oil/offshore wind wealth and a decent population, you'd think the city would have a better team but their 1 point per game average would be relegation material in England. It's too late now but Fergie should have gone back in some capacity after he retired at Man U.

Wow. To illustrate just how badly things had gone wrong at Celtic - today's away win was their first in the league since February 

This is a team that (before last season) had won 9 championships in a row. 

I don't know what TV income the league has but I expect it's pretty low so the Glasgow clubs with their huge fanbases/match day income are always likely to dominate so it's good to see a bit of a shake-up.

As a Hibs fan I would love to see my club put in a serious challenge for the league but it is highly unlikely any team outside the Old Firm will ever win the league again in Scotland. They are huge fish in a very small pond and the power and influence they have not only in scottish football but in scottish society is enormous. Bearing in mind also their vast resources and spending power compared to the other clubs, a proper league challenge from Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen is just not a realistic prospect in my opinion.

Hearts have strengthened their squad well over the summer and are looking a a good bet for third spot this year. My team Hibs unfortunately had a poor summer transfer window and failed to secure the players we needed so it will take a huge effort from us and some good fortune to get third spot again. I'm very surprised how poor Aberdeen have been since the start of the season when you see the investment they have put into their squad over the summer and the experience they have in their squad. Glass was a strange choice of manager to replace the excellent McInnes. He is too inexperienced in my opinion, and has probably taken on too big a challenge. It's too early in the season though to be making too many rash predictions. I think Aberdeen will come good eventually and be a challenger for third along with the two Edinburgh clubs.

It does seem unlikely that both Celtic and Rangers will be below par at the same time and for long enough that anyone else gets to challenge them but it would be good to see. Who would have thought that at the end of September there would be two unbeaten teams but they were both from Edinburgh not Glasgow?

Even though the big two clubs won most things in the 80s, I still remember Aberdeen and the Dundee clubs putting in a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting day yesterday with Rangers conceding a last-minute equaliser to keep the top 5 teams within 5 points of each other. It must be quite a while since that happened at this stage of the season.

Celtic starting to move in the right direction and up to fourth place.

Another defeat for Aberdeen. Relegation battle in store for them?

Celtic have turned the corner I think and their season will now take an upwards turn.

Rangers not as good as last season, in fact a number of teams are struggling with their home form not least of which my team Hibs.

Hibs were bloody awful on Saturday against Dundee United...who were fantastic btw and totally deserved their win.

Hearts got a good result at Ibrox and I think (unfortunately !)will finish third this season.

Aberdeen absolutely toiling, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Steven Glass out this week.