Greasy Lake Community

WHAT IF?.....Born to run was released in 1965 !!!!!!!!!!!!

On 10/10/2021 at 12:20 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

Bruce needs to tour Asia 

This made me wanna do some research.

Asia throughout the years:

10 shows in Tokyo, Japan (5 in 1985, 1 in 1988 and 4 in 1997)
2 shows in Osaka, Japan (1985)
1 show in Kyoto, Japan (1985. The photo on the back of the The Essential Bruce Springsteen compilation and one of the photos in the Live 1975-1985 booklet are from the soundcheck for this show)
1 show in New Delhi, India (1988)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stillilllife said:

1 show in Kyoto, Japan (1985. The photo on the back of the The Essential Bruce Springsteen compilation and one of the photos in the Live 1975-1985 booklet are from the soundcheck for this show)

about time to go back then 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stillilllife said:

I knew about Japan but had no idea about India. Bryan Adams has toured India 6 times, and has a huge following there, as well as in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I knew about Japan but had no idea about India. Bryan Adams has toured India 6 times, and has a huge following there, as well as in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.

Not really! Human Rights Tour! 

4 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

I live in XI'AN, geographic center of China

good to know Tenth :)

if you ever want to pop on over to the loose ends forum and tell us about your city or life in China (or anything else although its not allowed to be political) please feel free to say hello or start a thread :)

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Well most of the databases count everything from BITUSA shows to birthday parties at some bar in 1976, so...

Yeah, even here! See I would have put that tour and the Vote for Change Tours into the Tributes & Benefits category. Anyway we (I) are only splitting hairs here. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes, don't know if that counts as a tour or not.

The 'Amnesty International- Human Rights Now!' Tour was 20 shows in 19 different cities on all continents except Australia. Including shows in Costa Rica, Ivory Coast and Zimbabwe (and as mentioned above India and Japan). European shows included Hungary and Greece. Except 2 shows in Paris, all shows were only 1 night in 1 city. If this is not a World Tour, what is?

Vote For Change was 7 shows.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 4:05 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

@balboa08 lives in Bangalore (although i keep thinking he lives in Mumbai)  and im not actually too crash hot on my Chineses geography for @Tenthavenuefreezeout ?

As stated earlier Bruce did perform in Delhi during the Amnesty Tour. I missed it for 2 reasons- Dad was in hospital and air travel those days was ridiculously expensive and you always thought that he will come some day. I might still have article from one of the popular magazines back then which called it the Bruce Springsteen night. Bruce came on stage past midnight and rocked the house and met a few people who were at the show and they called it the best show they have ever seen.The show was marred by controversy between Times of India which kind of played the whole show as part of their 150th anniversary and Amnesty. I actually dont like both the organisations. Bruce was huge here back then, still has many dedicated fans and will easily fill a cricket stadium

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Bryan Adams is pretty popular amongst women and many casual listeners. i still like some of his songs of Reckless. His first show in India was in Bangalore back in 2001 and personally a disappointing one. There were 50k fans inside and maybe an equal number outside. Had to walk long distance to reach the venue as the roads were all jammed and finally the sound sucked.

Living in Bangalore, we were lucky to get other big artists like Rolling Stones, Metallica, Scorpions, Aerosmith, Elton John, Sting, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden,Roger Waters(Twice) here. Sadly i  was not in town when the one guy i wanted to see most , other than Bruce of course, Mark knopfler player here in 2005.

The shows were all in the grounds of Bangalore Palace but now due to govt restrictions no shows can be held there and all concerts incl U2 are in Mumbai. Really miss the golden period between 2001 to 2011

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 4:49 AM, Jimmy James said:

Not to beat a dead drum here with all the if's and butt's. But for Born to Run to be released in 65' that would mean Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced would have needed to be released in 1960 so all guitar players to catch up, including Bruce/Steve. ;)

Maybe. BTR didn't really have guitar playing at Jimi level anyway. Really it's production techniques that would need to catch up. If BTR had actually been made in 1965 it would've just sounded like an early Gary US Bonds record.

so yesterday during a 3 hour car ride to Wellington listening to Gary's music (who had rudly uninvited Bruce for the trip:() i asked Gary why wasn't he a fan as we were listening to CCR

he said Bruce wasn't around in the 60s when i was a kid growing up

- see Gary and Bruce are only about 3 or 4 years apart in age 

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

so yesterday during a 3 hour car ride to Wellington listening to Gary's music (who had rudly uninvited Bruce for the trip:() i asked Gary why wasn't he a fan as we were listening to CCR

he said Bruce wasn't around in the 60s when i was a kid growing up

- see Gary and Bruce are only about 3 or 4 years apart in age 

My brother-in-law is probably a similar age to Gary and he was the same.   He's got Creedence records, soul records, Dylan records...but Springsteen? nah.   Funy eh?

Bruce was mainly an 80s phenomenon down here.   I think most people have resistance to music that arrives when they're in their late 20s.  I was like that with grunge.

Anyway he's come around the last few years .. funnily enough it was Seeger Sessions that swayed him...but then he got into some of the others stuff as well... even got him to a show in 2014. 

• Bruuuuce! 1