Greasy Lake Community

One more great album or one more tour? You decide

We are probably nearing the end of the road. Our guy can't keep on touring with the ESB for more than max 5 more years, at a stretch. How many more albums of the standard of Western Stars or LTY does he have left in him, creatively or physically? Not many. 

So if you had to choose - another LP that will last forever, you will listen to for years, songs that will burn into your brain and your soul. Or another go on the rollercoaster that is a tour - multiple shows, different cities, new and old friends, beer in plastic glasses, sunsets merged with outros, pit queues and wristbands.....the memories that a tour brings even if it is just one concert in your hometown?

Its your choice - one more classic Bruce Springsteen album, or one more E Street Band tour? 

• Like 1

That’s just mean. It’s a really tough one to answer. You are right that an album would last forever but the memories from a show are things that will never leave you. The high from some shows that I’ve been to are hard to describe and if you are there with a loved one it adds an extra layer. I’m close to sitting on the fence and not answering but I think I’ll go with a tour. Hopefully it isn’t a question that will bother us for many years to come. 
I’ll be really interested to see what the general consensus is on this. 

4 hours ago, risingaurora said:

Its your choice - one more classic Bruce Springsteen album, or one more E Street Band tour? 

Since the choice here is between a classic Bruce Springsteen album and an E Street Band tour (you didn’t specify a good tour), I’ll go with the album.  The E Street Band’s final show was Boston 11/19/2007.

• Sad 1

Hands down a tour; particularly if you are suggesting they would be albums akin to Western Stars or Letter to you.

Tbh, I haven’t listened to either since Christmas, and that was only because the vinyl LTY was a pressie.

They were fine at the time but I do not hold a great deal of affection for them.

Bruce can’t write the type of songs that attracted me to him any more, so rightly or wrongly, I prefer to revel in his past glories.

Now if I am wrong and he could pull another Darkness or Wild out the bag, I would happily eat my words.:o

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Since the choice here is between a classic Bruce Springsteen album and an E Street Band tour (you didn’t specify a good tour), I’ll go with the album.  The E Street Band’s final show was Boston 11/19/2007.

Well, that’s demonstrably not true but no point arguing about it!

• Haha 1

Album without any doubt.

A last great Bruce Springsteen & The ESB album, that is.

No way I am going to see Bruce Springsteen & The ESB (or any artist) ever again in a huge outdoor venue. Been there, done that.

However, if the choice is between Western Stars Part 2 or guaranteed ticket for a Bruce Springsteen show (with or without the ESB) in a beautiful venue like Carré (Amsterdam), Muziekcentrum Vredenburg (Utrecht) or De Vereeniging (Nijmegen), the choice is reversed, also without any doubt.

• Like 1

I don't agree with the premise of this, but to answer the question I couldn't care less if Bruce never made another album. 
I would much prefer the opportunity to go and see him and the band live, as there are so many songs that I haven't witnessed played live.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 1:39 PM, badlands78 said:

Could argue the ESB's final show was Lexington, Feb 12 1974

In all honesty, I don't think there is any chance of another great album. The last really great album was probably Born in the USA, at least in my opinion. But let's say there was a chance - I'd go for the great album rather than another tour. What would the legacy of The Beatles be now if they had spent the late-60s constantly touring? Plus, an E Street money-making tour (for that's what it would be) isn't going to play to the strengths of a performer in his 70s.

1 hour ago, Tom74 said:

In all honesty, I don't think there is any chance of another great album. The last really great album was probably Born in the USA, at least in my opinion. But let's say there was a chance - I'd go for the great album rather than another tour. What would the legacy of The Beatles be now if they had spent the late-60s constantly touring? Plus, an E Street money-making tour (for that's what it would be) isn't going to play to the strengths of a performer in his 70s.

Not a good comparison.  Bruce has built up years and years of "legacy" (including recordings of live shows).  Not to mention all the unreleased material.

2 hours ago, Blackcowboys01 said:

neither, there will be new albums and tours in the future, but the creativity and inspiration disappear with age, and that's okay, that's the way life is.

Sadly that's probably true, but I'd like to think he still has something great left in him in the studio.    If he does, it probably involves letting go of some of the yes-men in his creative life, and allowing some other strong personalities to have an input and challenge him.   If he doesn't do that, chances are we'll all be going back to listen to River outtakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom74 said:

The last really great album was probably Born in the USA, at least in my opinion.

Tunnel of Love? Magic? (without disrespect to your opinion). Could maybe also add The Rising but that is the thin line between 'very good' and 'great'. (and all personal).

• Like 1

It's a difficult one.  From hearing Bruce's voice at recent one-off events, I'm not sure he could carry a rock show.  The best hope for a great album may be one where he embraces the Johnny Cash American Recordings approach.  

• Like 3

Last great album was Darkness and there is zero chance of coming near that he just hasn't got that inspiration any more. Last great tour was the last one every tour is great with reservations sure. But I will never go to stadium show again either. The best album for me would be another tracks with stuff he wrote 40 years ago when his writing was at its best.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

Last great album was Darkness and there is zero chance of coming near that he just hasn't got that inspiration any more. Last great tour was the last one every tour is great with reservations sure. But I will never go to stadium show again either. The best album for me would be another tracks with stuff he wrote 40 years ago when his writing was at its best.

Yeaaaaah, no. "Tunnel Of Love" and "Western Stars" are great. While nothing can top Darkness he's made two great albums since then. Heck, "Born In The USA" is also great.