Greasy Lake Community

One more great album or one more tour? You decide

On 10/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, Stranger in town said:

Hands down a tour; particularly if you are suggesting they would be albums akin to Western Stars or Letter to you.

Tbh, I haven’t listened to either since Christmas, and that was only because the vinyl LTY was a pressie.

They were fine at the time but I do not hold a great deal of affection for them.

Bruce can’t write the type of songs that attracted me to him any more, so rightly or wrongly, I prefer to revel in his past glories.

Now if I am wrong and he could pull another Darkness or Wild out the bag, I would happily eat my words.:o

Who needs another Darkness or Wild ? Those albums were written when Bruce was 24 and 28 . Does anybody really think that a 72 year old man will write songs like in his twenties ? He will probably write more reflective songs than songs about Candy's Room or to prove it all night. I think his material written since 2000 is absolutely great and stands the test of time for me .

By the way I would prefer an album or a tour like Devils & Dust in 2005.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

11 hours ago, Tom74 said:

In all honesty, I don't think there is any chance of another great album. The last really great album was probably Born in the USA, at least in my opinion. But let's say there was a chance - I'd go for the great album rather than another tour. What would the legacy of The Beatles be now if they had spent the late-60s constantly touring? Plus, an E Street money-making tour (for that's what it would be) isn't going to play to the strengths of a performer in his 70s.

Sorry but that's just a total load of balls. Tunnel of Love, Magic, The Rising???? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WestsideJack said:

Thinking about this, I would now prefer a Joad-like tour, with the songs of the new album the core of the setlist. Not a tour with 'I have never tried this before, so let's see how it goes'.

Just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WestsideJack said:

Who needs another Darkness or Wild ? Those albums were written when Bruce was 24 and 28 . Does anybody really think that a 72 year old man will write songs like in his twenties ? He will probably write more reflective songs than songs about Candy's Room or to prove it all night. I think his material written since 2000 is absolutely great and stands the test of time for me .

Well here’s the thing.

If you read my full comment, you should derive that my whole point is that he can’t write another album of that type.

i don’t expect him to write another of those albums, that ship has gone. His whole mindset has changed with age, just like all of us. His life is in a different stage now, and he is far removed from the lifestyles that inspired him to write and Candy or Spanish Johnny. I am not that thick that I need anyone to remind me of this basic principle of the ageing process.

That is why I chose tour.

As for a Joad, Devils and even Western stars, well that isn’t my bag. One man and his guitar doesn’t grab me.

However, it is all about opinions, and my opinion is the only one that matters to me.

Likewise, your opinion will matter more to you.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

See I think we already have that "Great Album" with Letter To You. 

So Tour, Open with Burnin Train and close with I'll See You in My Dream, everything in between is up to Bruce.  

+1 !

i'll go for this one

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Let me think..

A- Hearing badlands's in the pit feeling the blood boiling and rushing in my veins then having a heart attack straight afterwards and pegging out with a fixed smile. 

B- Sitting in my front room pyjama's on feet up a cup of tea and hob nob in hand listening to a new album being told to ''turn it down a bit please luv '' from the playing the first track , trying to read the small print on the album after finding my glasses also maybe considering to play some air guitar but soon backing out thinking its a silly thing to do at my age then my  phone rings but I while I wont answer it I might just take a quick look to see who's calling.

Blokes are still ruining marathons at his age maybe not singing at the same time but all will be fine so buy that ticket ! 

my grave stone will read -he died a happy man.   

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

If the choices are an album that is of the quality of Western Stars or Letter To You or an E Street Band tour I'm going with the tour.

Look at his post reunion output with the band.  Most, or at least many fans would rate The Rising and Magic as the best with High Hopes, Wrecking Ball, Working On A Dream, etc ranked in some order below those.  From The Rising the title track has been played at virtually every show since then, Waiting On A Sunny Day has been played at too dang many.  So The Rising has stood the test of time, if the standard is does Bruce continue to play songs from it in later tours.  It has been a rarity to hear a song off any other post reunion album after that tour has ended so for Bruce they haven't stood the test of time.  Even Magic, as good as it is, is included in that group.  I think that trend will continue with Letter To You.

I am quite content with listening to the studio material he has released to date with no need for anything new if that means I get more shows where I can be lost in the moment when he pulls out something like Thundercrack, Seaside Bar Song, Fire, Cadillac Ranch, and many others.  My only ask is that he shake up the encores on any new tour.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

10 hours ago, burghfan said:

I am quite content with listening to the studio material he has released to date with no need for anything new if that means I get more shows where I can be lost in the moment when he pulls out something like Thundercrack, Seaside Bar Song, Fire, Cadillac Ranch, and many others.  My only ask is that he shake up the encores on any new tour.

Exactly this.

Great albums and tours go hand in hand, as far as I’m concerned. There is no great tour without a great album to provide the backbone of the setlist. Without a strong album (or an album in which Bruce has confidence), you can only get nostalgia (and in the best case scenario) marathon shows. The last 15 years are have been a case in point 

2 hours ago, Frank said:

Great albums and tours go hand in hand, as far as I’m concerned. There is no great tour without a great album to provide the backbone of the setlist. Without a strong album (or an album in which Bruce has confidence), you can only get nostalgia (and in the best case scenario) marathon shows. The last 15 years are have been a case in point 

i think it depends on the location 

he had to keep all the casual fans,  bucket listers and Jimmy Barnes fans happy here :angry:

3 hours ago, Frank said:

Don't agree with the last sentence. Magic, Wrecking Ball, High Hopes and The River, were all great albums that provided a backbone to the setlist, at least here in the states. Question is how many new album songs make up a backbone? The River16 had 21 songs to make a backbone

9 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i think it depends on the location 

he had to keep all the casual fans,  bucket listers and Jimmy Barnes fans happy here :angry:

Can't imagine any more bucket listers that haven't seen Bruce by now.  

He always starts off tours playing lots of songs from the new album, then gradually eases them out for more crowd favourites or oldies as the tour goes on. Working on a Dream was the only exception to this that I can remember. I liked the album, but many of the songs just didn't work in a live context so he quickly dropped them from the set. It was that tour that we started to get full album shows as well towards the end.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Can't imagine any more bucket listers that haven't seen Bruce by now.  

i hope you'r right 

tickets were bloody hard to get 

i still want my 78 intro and my long kitty 

15 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

He always starts off tours playing lots of songs from the new album, then gradually eases them out for more crowd favourites or oldies as the tour goes on. Working on a Dream was the only exception to this that I can remember. I liked the album, but many of the songs just didn't work in a live context so he quickly dropped them from the set. It was that tour that we started to get full album shows as well towards the end.

i havn't seen much footage of the WOAD tour

i remember at the time lots of really bad cellphone video on u tube so i just didn't bother

why do you think the new songs didnt work ?

did they need reworking ?