Greasy Lake Community

Rolling Stones retire Brown Sugar

Glad I don't feel the need to see them live anymore....One of the greatest rock riffs ever written...In today's world, I understand it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Wouldn't they be better served by just not playing it again? And not making announcement about not playing it again? 

But than we won't be here talking about it, would we? 

Not sure ...i thought i read that Keith was asked about it

• Like 1

What I saw was someone asking Keith about it and he replied "noticed that did you?" and all of a sudden it became a story.

I will say I understand it, based on today's "cancel culture" and the heightened sensitivity to everything - but if you read those lyrics, it surprises me more they didn't decide to stop playing that song long before this tour.  At best they are cringe worthy, but like mentioned on another thread about Bruce's lyrics, times change and opinions change and the culture shifts and some things just shouldn't be said anymore, no matter how common it was at one time

• Like 1

Ahh, nothing like some good old anti-establishment bad boys bending over so that the woke/cancel culture can shove the rod of decency up their a-hole without a fight.

They've just opened the door for the W/CC crowd to pick through their catalog, now that it's been established that The Stones have "rabbit ears," (which is not a knock on Keith Richards' physical appearance ;)).

If they're so agreeable to "retire" one of their signature songs, then it's only a matter of time until pressure is put on their record company to eliminate other songs from their official library.

As the old adage goes, "Give an inch and they want a mile."

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, gsquare said:

So if The Band was still around and playing shows, would The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down cause a problem?  I was watching The Last Waltz the other day and that's an absolute highlight for me.

We go to Branson Mo every year, and once to Pigeon Forge Tn. And have been to Dolly Parton's "Dixie" Stampede, for the show and dinner. She had to do away with "Dixie", now just call Dolly Parton's Stampede. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kooly said:

Ahh, nothing like some good old anti-establishment bad boys bending over so that the woke/cancel culture can shove the rod of decency up their a-hole without a fight.

They've just opened the door for the W/CC crowd to pick through their catalog, now that it's been established that The Stones have "rabbit ears," (which is not a knock on Keith Richards' physical appearance ;)).

If they're so agreeable to "retire" one of their signature songs, then it's only a matter of time until pressure is put on their record company to eliminate other songs from their official library.

As the old adage goes, "Give an inch and they want a mile."

One of my all time favorite songs ....One i never get sick of. But certainly hard to defend.

You make an interesting points. I am a fan of something else that is hard to defend these days ...Thoroughbred Horse Racing. The More concessions the sport makes to PETA they more want. There agenda is not to make the sport safer. It is nothing less than the flat out abolition of the game.

With the world abandoning physical music ..... Just imagine how easy it would be to just remove Brown Sugar from streaming services. How many books will we burn.

I love the song so much ....and of course had no idea what the hell they were saying ....I think a flea market was selling a used book of Sheet Music for Hot Rocks ..... I took a peak and was like Holy Shit .... THATS what they're saying ?

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Is it any better changing it to 'just like a young boy should', instead of girl?....Jus' wundrin...

The Women whipping is the only thing i find completely horrible ..... Who heard this song when they were young and naive and just thought Mick liked black girls ? And maybe a little S&M ...not that i knew what the hell that was at 13.

• Like 2

I thought they said the song was being rested rather than retired?  or words to that effect.

One song the band seems to have dropped from its set since the tour started up again is “Brown Sugar,” the Stones’ gleefully problematic early-’70s smash that opens on a “Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields.”

“You picked up on that, huh?” Richards said when asked why they’re not playing the tune. “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it. At the moment I don’t want to get into conflicts with all of this s—.” He laughed in his signature raspy fashion. “But I’m hoping that we’ll be able to resurrect the babe in her glory somewhere along the track.”

Jagger, as usual, was more circumspect than his freewheeling counterpart. “We’ve played ‘Brown Sugar’ every night since 1970, so sometimes you think, We’ll take that one out for now and see how it goes,” he said. “We might put it back in.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-10-07/rolling-stones-charlie-watts-no-filter-tour

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rizla said:

I thought they said the song was being rested rather than retired?  or words to that effect.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-10-07/rolling-stones-charlie-watts-no-filter-tour

The Stones are wise enough to avoid pointless controversies at this point of their career, especially after losing Charlie. That being said, retiring a 50 years old songs because it might hurt some casual listener’s sensibility today bodes badly for rock 'n roll (and art in general).

• Like 4

I only ever heard bits of the song as I'm not a Stones fan (apart from the very early singles) and have just read them.

Good decision. By heck, did you see what it was originally going to be called? 

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

I only ever heard bits of the song as I'm not a Stones fan (apart from the very early singles) and have just read them.

Good decision. By heck, did you see what it was originally going to be called? 

"Sympathy For The Devil Devil Cos He Can't Get No Satisfaction"...?

The Stones decided on their own not to perform it anymore, they didn’t cave to pressure from anyone. Then someone asked them about it and it became newsworthy. 

These are the lyrics. I’ve been listening to the song for all these years and had no clue. 

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Skydog slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should

Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' where it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doing alright
You shoulda heard him just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good, now?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should, now

Ah, get along, brown sugar how come you taste so good, baby?
Ah, got me feelin' now, brown sugar just like a black girl should

I bet your mama was a tent show queen
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like
You shoulda heard me just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good, baby?
Ah, brown sugar just like a young girl should, yeah

I said yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
How come you... how come you taste so good?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
Just like a... just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo

By the way, I have no idea why people use the word “woke” it like it’s an insult. I think it’s a compliment.  It means a person is awake and aware of what is happening in the world and open to change. It’s way better than being asleep and unaware and just being like Rip Van Winkle and letting the world pass you by while you sleep. Wake up! 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jimmy James said:

So is my Bacon wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies recipe out? :huh:

I think you should send me some and I’ll let you know after I eat them. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, judyg said:

By the way, I have no idea why people use the word “woke” it like it’s an insult. I think it’s a compliment.  It means a person is awake and aware of what is happening in the world and open to change. 

Well, it depends on your world's view, I guess. I don't want to open a can of worms here but: "WOKE" might be a synonym of "enlightened" if you share the post-modernist view of art according to which the HERE and NOW are the only acceptable social and artistic criteria. Therefore, what doesn't comply strictly with an overt progressive mindset must be censored,  banned, or made fun of. (Of course, what is cutting edge progressive today will be borderline conservative in a few years - let alone in a generation - but who cares really?)

However, if you consider culture for what it has always been, and you value art as the LOGIC expression of the specific historical period which produced it, being "WOKE" - that is, judging the past by your own current, personal, selfish, narrow perspective - is being ignorant, or childish, at best. Basically, the idea of discarding culture and history in favor of what may be socially cool (to you and your pairs) in the here and now is what gave rise to fascism(s) a hundred years ago. After all, why did they burn books back then? For sure, not because they thought the ideas in those books were new... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1