Greasy Lake Community

"Money For Nothing" Could be Next on Chopping Block

JustDan

Look out here comes the avalanche... Citing several lines from the song "Money for Nothing" as inappropriate & offensive, Clear Channel Broadcasting is apparently considering requesting that its member radio stations delete the Dire Straits hit form their playlists. The company referenced the following lyrics written by Mark Knopfler & Sting (The Police) as sexual gender/preference & ethnically degrading and offensive: 'chicks for free', 'bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee' and 'See that little fa---t with the earrings and the makeup...That little fa---t got his own jet airplane...that little fa---t, he's a millionaire'..... [Source: WBIG 100.1, Washington DC]

The dominos are starting to teeter. Wonder what song(s) will get the chop-chop next.

PS: I thought I'd read an interview with Knopfler around 2018 in which he claims he hasn't performed MFN live for a number years" Don't know if that's true or not.

• Sad 1

D'you know, I never heard the word (I see we're using dashes) fa---t. Don't know what I thought it was. The 'chick' word is a word I've never liked but the line didn't bother me.

It's those characters spouting the words - it all fits, whether offensive or not.

They want to start looking at the stuff that's churned out nowadays (now lots of that's offensive) - and leave the old stuff alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Flea said:

Ban "Baby It's Cold Outside", that's some rapey offensive shit.

No it isn't, it's just flirting.  The woman is teasing him, she wants to stay but also wants to be persuaded.   It's a seduction but she's enjoying being seduced. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

(I see we're using dashes) fa---t. Don't know what I thought it was.

Well.....I didn't want to offend anyone. Here in the states, the word is a strongly offensive slur toward gays. 

Pls don't be angry with me y'all. I'm just reporting what I'm hearing/reading. I love the song, but you gotta admit "that little faggot" line is as objectionable as some of the lines in 'Brown Sugar'. I love both songs.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Doesn't regular radio already censor out the F word from the song?  I know other songs with inappropriate words (like Who Are You) are also censored already.

Haven't listened that closely when they play it on radio because I'm so familiar with the song. 

Chantilly Lace. Now, I hate the way that's sung - creeps me out. 

baby he knows what she likes

I fear this is going to get out of hand. The Hip-Hop station are going to have to ban practically their entire playlists.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Well.....I didn't want to offend anyone. Here in the states, the word is a strongly offensive slur toward gays. 

Pls don't be angry with me y'all. I'm just reporting what I'm hearing/reading. I love the song, but you gotta admit "that little faggot" line is as objectionable as some of the lines in 'Brown Sugar'. I love both songs.

That's it, I'm offended - gonna start the hashtag #CancelJustDan

Honestly though, hard to guess where this stops

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

That's it, I'm offended - gonna start the hashtag #CancelJustDan

Honestly though, hard to guess where this stops

People are very sensitive these days. Back when it all began in the 50s, it was just the adults/parents who were offended. Elvis received death threats for swiveling his hips. The 'kids" loved it. Now everyone, including the "kids" are offended. I mean, waddya gonna do, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chantilly Lace. Now, I hate the way that's sung - creeps me out. 

At my office there is music piped in to the restrooms.  One morning just as I walked in I heard a loud "Helllooooooo baabby!"  It was a bit disturbing.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, JustDan said:

People are very sensitive these days. Back when it all began in the 50s, it was just the adults/parents who were offended. Elvis received death threats for swiveling his hips. The 'kids" loved it. Now everyone, including the "kids" are offended. I mean, waddya gonna do, right?

Seems to me it's mostly "the kids".
Well, people a fair bit younger than me, I mean.  :D

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JustDan said:

The 'kids" loved it. Now everyone, including the "kids" are offended. I mean, waddya gonna do, right?

Well, it's basically the same discussion we're having in the Stones/Brown Sugar thread. When you're made to believe your current opinion is the ultimate judge of society, history and culture, those who know less are often the ones who tolerate less.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

At my office there is music piped in to the restrooms.  One morning just as I walked in I heard a loud "Helllooooooo baabby!"  It was a bit disturbing.

Oh alright....Damnit Your Judgeship...that was funny :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JustDan said:

Look out here comes the avalanche... Citing several lines from the song "Money for Nothing" as inappropriate & offensive, Clear Channel Broadcasting is apparently considering requesting that its member radio stations delete the Dire Straits hit form their playlists. The company referenced the following lyrics written by Mark Knopfler & Sting (The Police) as sexual gender/preference & ethnically degrading and offensive: 'chicks for free', 'bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee' and 'See that little fa---t with the earrings and the makeup...That little fa---t got his own jet airplane...that little fa---t, he's a millionaire'..... [Source: WBIG 100.1, Washington DC]

The dominos are starting to teeter. Wonder what song(s) will get the chop-chop next

The problem is, why stopping at music? Why should national networks broadcasting films or theatrical plays get a pass when a few tongue-in-cheek-self-deprecating terms (Mark is refereeing to himself and his fellow musicians in the song) make a song a 'no go' thirty-six years later? That Shakespeare guy will soon be out of business should someone decide to give him half of the same treatment.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Frank said:

The problem is, why stopping at music? Why should national networks broadcasting films or theatrical plays get a pass when a few tongue-in-cheek-self-deprecating terms (Mark is refereeing to himself and his fellow musicians in the song) make a song a no go? That Shakespeare guy will soon be out of business should someone decide to give him half of the same treatment.

Can't argue. Point taken.

My son and his family have just been here and we were talking about these songs.  We agreed that Mark was off the mark by writing the f word in the first place - but I told Christopher that I didn't know that word was in it.

Apparently, that verse was dumped for radio play - deemed inappropriate back then - and, not caring for the song in the first place, I didn't listen closely to the song on the album.

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

My son and his family have just been here and we were talking about these songs.  We agreed that Mark was off the mark by writing the f word in the first place - but I told Christopher that I didn't know that word was in it.

Apparently, that verse was dumped for radio play - deemed inappropriate back then - and, not caring for the song in the first place, I didn't listen closely to the song on the album.

And you bring up another interesting point. Some of the "who cares about Brown Sugar" crowd include in their logic that they never need to hear that song again ....or they never liked it in the first place ..... So good for you ....but in a way you don't have a dog in the fight ......But in my case ....its an all time favorite ....Id prefer to see Sympathy For The Devil retired lol

I'm just "meh" on Money For Nothing ......So it doesnt upset me that much .....

But the old Nazi analogy ...first they came for the Polish people ....But i wasn't Polish so i didn't speak up .....Might have some connection here ...

Anyway ...as always i have no answers ....Just chiming in

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

And you bring up another interesting point. Some of the "who cares about Brown Sugar" crowd include in their logic that they never need to hear that song again ....or they never liked it in the first place ..... So good for you ....but in a way you don't have a dog in the fight ......But in my case ....its an all time favorite ....Id prefer to see Sympathy For The Devil retired lol

Well, the problem is even bigger. For both songs, the presence of a particular term (or a few ones) is making them unacceptable regardless of the context in which they were used. Mark told plenty of times how the lyrics of Money of Nothing are the transcript of a true conversation/rant he happened to overhear in an appliance store in New York. And the video made it abundantly clear. Now would you really think those professional movers avoided uncensored speech while talking to their blue collar colleagues about rockstars? In the Eighties? As for Brown Sugar, it's about slavery, and it was written at the very beginning of the Seventies (for reference, desegregation in the States was signed into law a couple of years before, and Apartheid in South Africa ended some twenty years later - after Stevie got involved, that is ;) ). Of course most listeners have never gone beyond the salacious chorus, no surprise when you have Mick Jagger singing it. But that was basically a blues band going back to their roots. 

As for the next victim, I'm afraid the airing days of Pink Floyd's The Wall (one of the greatest albums ever, IMHO) are numbered.  

• Like 2

People don't seem able to distinguish between the artist and the art.   Writing and performing a song about slavery doesn't imply approval of it.  And many songs, such as Money For Nothing (and many of Bruce's songs) are dramatisations, portraits, little stories.  Again, they aren't necessarily justifying the actions or attitudes of the characters depicted in them. 

Lots of things are unpleasant or offensive, that's no reason why they shouldn't be depicted in art, whether that be in a play, a film, a painting, a sculpture, a song .....

I happened upon an old discussion about Brown Sugar and it was overwhelmingly denounced as "racist".  What?!  It's only derogatory about the white people in it!  But it mentions black people, therefore it must be racist, apparently.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

But the old Nazi analogy ...first they came for the Polish people ....But i wasn't Polish so i didn't speak up .....Might have some connection here ...

Anyway ...as always i have no answers ....Just chiming in

very good point Bob regarding the Nazi analogy

i dont like money for nothing in the slightest, i dont like dire straights but i did have the tape back in the day 

its a song that is iconic of its era in the way BITUSA is

surely they are getting their chicks for free because lady fans are throwing them selves at them

what exactly is the problem here ?

sounds like win-win to me

the rate this PC juggernaut is travelling it has me worried that Child bride might never get on the  BITUSA/ Nebraska box set / tracks 2