Greasy Lake Community

Bruce & The E.Street Band in Europe 2022

CK420

4 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Many will have severe reactions. The more people mix the more likely it is that our hospitals will be full to overflowing again. The staff will be rushed off their feet.

Mind you, folk can always disregard this and dance their socks off anyway.

Having experienced it myself I completely agree, but will it still be an issue by next May and if so should any bands be playing concerts or fans attending football matches over the coming months? 

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

The scientists reckon in 2 weeks they’ll know more about vaccine efficacy and transmission rate. So a delay with an announcement makes sense. It doesn’t feel right to announce a tour just yet. But fingers crossed the news isn’t bad enough to warrant scrapping the tour completely. 

Yes, it doesn't feel right to announce anything now. But I still can't imagine they're waiting on more precise scientific information - that way, as others have said in this thread, they could wait until eternity.

• Like 1

By all means isolate in place don't move. No going to the store. No riding the bus/train. Please just stay in your own home and never come out. Because......... it might just happen.   

6 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Many will have severe reactions. The more people mix the more likely it is that our hospitals will be full to overflowing again. The staff will be rushed off their feet.

Mind you, folk can always disregard this and dance their socks off anyway.

1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Having experienced it myself I completely agree, but will it still be an issue by next May and if so should any bands be playing concerts or fans attending football matches over the coming months? 

I don't know.

Football matches and horse racing crowds helped spread havoc last time round. I wouldn't be going to either ... but I'm old. It doesn't matter. :D

I'm not sure what I'd be doing or hoping for if I was at the height of my fandom. Thankfully, I'm not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

By all means isolate in place don't move. No going to the store. No riding the bus/train. Please just stay in your own home and never come out. Because......... it might just happen.   

And there we have it, folks.

Take the middle ground ... and just be mindful of others.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I don't know.

Football matches and horse racing crowds helped spread havoc last time round. I wouldn't be going to either ... but I'm old. It doesn't matter. :D

I'm not sure what I'd be doing or hoping for if I was at the height of my fandom. Thankfully, I'm not.

Doesn't that say all about your opinions in this thread? 

Concerts and Football cancelled until we are at ground zero, in about 100 years? 

In the states, don't know about the rest of the world, in 1968 a flu swept through the country killing more than a Million. That virus is still with us today. We have dealt with it. So go out and play! I'm going to, right after my booster tomorrow evening. ;)   

31 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Concerts and Football cancelled until we are at ground zero, in about 100 years? 

In the states, don't know about the rest of the world, in 1968 a flu swept through the country killing more than a Million. That virus is still with us today. We have dealt with it. So go out and play! I'm going to, right after my booster tomorrow evening. ;)   

Non sense, the 1968 flu did not kill 1 million in the US. It killed 1 million in the world according to CDC, and about 100 K in the US (to be fair population size was not the same). 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html

30 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Not quite. My fandom waning has nothing to do with putting the health of others as a priority. It was ever thus.

I won't be going to concerts (or football matches) cos I haven't done either for ages ... the virus hasn't made a difference.

My great-uncle Ernie died in 1918, aged 18, but the War didn't see him off.  The Spanish Flu did.  

Whatever you do, do it as safely as you can. Hope everyone has fun this coming year.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Fabrice said:

Non sense, the 1968 flu did not kill 1 million in the US. It killed 1 million in the world according to CDC, and about 100 K in the US (to be fair population size was not the same). 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html

Thanks for the fact check! Fact of the matter "we" didn't let it get in the way we lived. What happened in the summer of 69' Woodstock, how many 100's of thousands were there. 

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

My great-uncle Ernie died in 1918, aged 18, but the War didn't see him off.  The Spanish Flu did. 

Ditto my grandmother's first husband.  If he hadn't died, I wouldn't have been born. 
We're all going to die, and none of us matters very much in the grand scheme.
Eat, drink and be merry!

• Like 2

Wish they would just decide one way or another. I have a few things planned for next year (Covid permitting), but I am going to book and arrange them around a possible Bruce tour. If Bruce and co think it's too risky then just announce that it's being delayed again till 2023, at least then we would have some certainty.

• Like 1
  • Hug 1

The snippets being released into the press suggest to me that we’re being prepped for much heavier restrictions in the near future. At the same time I’m reading pieces describing the new variant as more transmissible yet milder. Who knows. This government has shown itself to be impressively incompetent many times over and I wouldn’t expect that to change now.

I lean toward the “get vaccinated and let’s get on with it” viewpoint personally. 

• Like 4

Well, we've had one large-scale vaccine roll-out and it doesn't seem to have really helped. And most people I know want to get on with their lives without these restrictions. I suspect what we really need is a rollout of politicians.

• Like 3

The biggest problem for me is that none of it really makes sense.

If we are to believe that there is a new variant that is harder to quell and protect against how does it work that the only steps are masks on trains and in shops? When you balance that against the ongoing ability to attend sporting events, restaurants, clubs etc it just doesn’t sit straight. 

38 minutes ago, Candyman said:

The biggest problem for me is that none of it really makes sense.

If we are to believe that there is a new variant that is harder to quell and protect against how does it work that the only steps are masks on trains and in shops? When you balance that against the ongoing ability to attend sporting events, restaurants, clubs etc it just doesn’t sit straight. 

They know they can't stop it, so they're just trying to slow it a bit whilst they find out more about it, therefore only limited restrictions at this stage.

That seems to be the theory anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

They know they can't stop it, so they're just trying to slow it a bit whilst they find out more about it, therefore only limited restrictions at this stage.

That seems to be the theory anyway.

Shouldn’t we be doing more now if the threat is that real though? I don’t see how the measures in place will slow it effectively given the other avenues that remain unchanged.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

In England, Boris doesn’t want loads more people working from home every day. He wants everyone spending their money on petrol, coffees, in sandwich shops etc. Blatantly obvious why he won’t move to Plan B. 

I guess the thinking (!!!!!) is that if they introduced a damaging lockdown that subsequently proved to have been unnecessary, then they would find it very hard to implement restrictions again in the future should they really be needed. 

51 minutes ago, Candyman said:

Shouldn’t we be doing more now if the threat is that real though? I don’t see how the measures in place will slow it effectively given the other avenues that remain unchanged.

It’s all about layers of protection , not just one action- my mask, your mask, distance in between, hand washing, all the easy things make a difference.

the more layers applied then the less chance of transmittal a Swiss cheese effect takes account of the inherent weakness in  each layer by placing another barrier in the way.

masks are uncomfortable but you do become used to them.

we spent 16 hours with mask on going to Canada and back in the last two weeks and it was worth the hassle for the reward of travelling again.

Canada seem to be taking the precautions seriously and masks were enforced indoors - at a hockey game there were about 5 people without masks but had doctors certification, last night we went to see James in concert in Glasgow, and it was lucky if 5% had masks on- but we did.

on the subject of hand washing, many guys just wander straight out the toilets without washing- this is gross at any time not withstanding a pandemic. 
anyway, I don’t get why so many Scots are happy to ignore the rules. It may come down to the fact that the government is paying lip,service to the rules they put in place and not enforcing.

Each to their own, but it has been a while since I got a waft of someone’s hangover or garlic breath thanks to wearing a mask.

ps. I don’t like garlic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Candyman said:

At the same time I’m reading pieces describing the new variant as more transmissible yet milder. Who knows.

This is the likely evolution of viruses like this one. At least that's what virologists have said over the course of this pandemic, as early as Spring 2020. We'll probably know within a month if that's the case. Maybe that's going to be our collective christmas present: the variant that signals the beginning of the end of the pandemic. I'm gonna stay positive for now and hope for the best.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stranger in town said:

the more layers applied then the less chance of transmittal a Swiss cheese effect takes account of the inherent weakness in  each layer by placing another barrier in the way.

Have you been watching maiLab? ;)

10 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

This is the likely evolution of viruses like this one. At least that's what virologists have said over the course of this pandemic, as early as Spring 2020. We'll probably know within a month if that's the case. Maybe that's going to be our collective christmas present: the variant that signals the beginning of the end of the pandemic. I'm gonna stay positive for now and hope for the best.

Indeed, if omicron hospitalisation remains at 0, this could all end quite well. 
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cityam.com/covid-death-rate-not-rising-swap-travel-restrictions-and-mass-hysteria-for-cautious-optimism-as-omicron-mutation-is-super-mild-variant-who-and-coronavirus-experts-say/%3famp=1

• Like 1

Nobody should get their hopes up. Don't forget the huge lag times involved with this virus and the way viruses are spread through a population firstly through younger more active people and then eventually it reaches older generally more socially confined people. This could be weeks away yet. Holiday season will be important. Also any hopes the virus will become milder over a relatively short time period are quite speculative. That didn't happen with smallpox nor HIV. A flu pandemic like the one in 1918 could very easily emerge once again so this tendency towards believing things get milder over time are rather hopeful/optimistic. Best place to kick off a tour would be Japan where they have a proper handle on this virus atm (fewer than 100 cases per day). That to me looks like living with the virus not what we've done over here tolerating 40,000 cases per day which will take 3/4 years to rip through the population and still not achieve herd immunity.