Greasy Lake Community

Bruce & The E.Street Band in Europe 2022

CK420

5 minutes ago, jukeblue said:

Nobody should get their hopes up. Don't forget the huge lag times involved with this virus and the way viruses are spread through a population firstly through younger more active people and then eventually it reaches older generally more socially confined people. This could be weeks away yet. Holiday season will be important. Also any hopes the virus will become milder over a relatively short time period are quite speculative. That didn't happen with smallpox nor HIV. A flu pandemic like the one in 1918 could very easily emerge once again so this tendency towards believing things get milder over time are rather hopeful/optimistic. Best place to kick off a tour would be Japan where they have a proper handle on this virus atm (fewer than 100 cases per day). That to me looks like living with the virus not what we've done over here tolerating 40,000 cases per day which will take 3/4 years to rip through the population and still not achieve herd immunity.

I get what you're saying, but if we can't even have a little hope, what else do we have left? I'm totally aware that this virus will never fully go away and we will all sooner or later get in contact with it one way or the other. But that doesn't mean I can't hope or be optimistic for things to be relatively normal again next spring/summer. Also, the course of the 1918 flu pandemic is exactly what can make us hopeful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/01/1918-flu-pandemic-end/

• Like 1

For most people it is a mild illness. That is one source of optimism. 1% however, is a lot of people dying. 10% is a hell of a lot of people clogging up health care systems even if spread over 3 years. And that's in those countries busy hoarding vaccines. Things are not going to be normal for many people for quite some time

Saturday my trip into town hardly anyone was wearing a mask on the train or the bus. Yesterday it was the complete opposite. People taking this seriously once again in spite of a lot of noise from woeful people in leadership positions is another source of optimism. People generally will do the right thing by their communities when reminded to. Masks and vaccine passports to enter the Bruce gigs next year should be a given

26 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

I get what you're saying, but if we can't even have a little hope, what else do we have left? I'm totally aware that this virus will never fully go away and we will all sooner or later get in contact with it one way or the other. But that doesn't mean I can't hope or be optimistic for things to be relatively normal again next spring/summer. Also, the course of the 1918 flu pandemic is exactly what can make us hopeful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/01/1918-flu-pandemic-end/

I can share your hope and be optimistic. Was curious about that whashingtonpost article, but if you read the last paragraphs of that article then any resemblance with the 1918 Flu regarding its course is not yet true:

The novel coronavirus is not moving on the same time frame as the 1918 influenza, Greene told The Post. Everything is longer with the novel coronavirus — the symptoms, the sickness and even the long-term complications. Doctors are concerned covid-19 can lead to lasting cardiovascular complications.

Then there are asymptomatic carriers of the disease. That one detail makes it harder to mitigate the spread of the virus by simply taking temperatures. Symptoms are not a be-all-end-all solution to tracking the disease. With that in mind, the novel coronavirus is acting more like polio, where those with mild cases don’t know they’re sick, Greene said.

“It immediately raises a different set of problems for managing a disease,” Greene said. “One needs to relearn the way to think about who is dangerous, and that becomes, basically, everybody.”

Recognizing both the similarities and differences to past pandemics can provide a “meaningful mirror” for the present, Greene added. The million-dollar question is: What can the 1918 influenza outbreak tell us about how our current pandemic may end?

“The sad answer is not very much,” Markel said. “The operative word in this particular pandemic is ‘novel’ coronavirus. We’re learning as we go along, but we don’t really know that much.”

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

In England, Boris doesn’t want loads more people working from home every day. He wants everyone spending their money on petrol, coffees, in sandwich shops etc. Blatantly obvious why he won’t move to Plan B. 

So if there won’t be a move to Plan B things like European Tours are a go go?…..

4 minutes ago, Candyman said:

So if there won’t be a move to Plan B things like European Tours are a go go?…..

Why not. Just look at premier league football attendances every week. 75,000 at Old Trafford every game. Admittedly social distancing between seats at the other Manchester club stadium is a regular feature, but that’s nothing to do with covid. 

• Like 1
  • Hug 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, el sergio said:

I can share your hope and be optimistic. Was curious about that whashingtonpost article, but if you read the last paragraphs of that article then any resemblance with the 1918 Flu regarding its course is not yet true:

The novel coronavirus is not moving on the same time frame as the 1918 influenza, Greene told The Post. Everything is longer with the novel coronavirus — the symptoms, the sickness and even the long-term complications. Doctors are concerned covid-19 can lead to lasting cardiovascular complications.

Then there are asymptomatic carriers of the disease. That one detail makes it harder to mitigate the spread of the virus by simply taking temperatures. Symptoms are not a be-all-end-all solution to tracking the disease. With that in mind, the novel coronavirus is acting more like polio, where those with mild cases don’t know they’re sick, Greene said.

“It immediately raises a different set of problems for managing a disease,” Greene said. “One needs to relearn the way to think about who is dangerous, and that becomes, basically, everybody.”

Recognizing both the similarities and differences to past pandemics can provide a “meaningful mirror” for the present, Greene added. The million-dollar question is: What can the 1918 influenza outbreak tell us about how our current pandemic may end?

“The sad answer is not very much,” Markel said. “The operative word in this particular pandemic is ‘novel’ coronavirus. We’re learning as we go along, but we don’t really know that much.”

All true! And like you say: any resemblance with the 1918 Flu regarding its course is not yet true. And that's where the hope comes in. While there's definately differences, many virologists and epidemiologists think that the virus itself could behave in a similar way to many other viruses: become more transmissible, but less deadly. And I put my hope in them. If it turns out they were wrong, I'll just get high, become indifferent to it for at least that one evening and go from there. ;)

13 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Why not. Just look at premier league football attendances every week. 75,000 at Old Trafford every game. Admittedly social distancing between seats at the other Manchester club stadium is a regular feature, but that’s nothing to do with covid. 

Yeah, agreed. It’s hard not to follow that logic. 

I am still hoping an new tour will unfold  soon. Allthough the COVID situation at this moment is getting worse,  and must be taken very seriously. We do know that the virus has seasonal influences. So hopefully next summer things  are better.

Last week I was lucky to obtain tickets for Garth Brooks Croke Park in September 2022. I got airline tickets and accomodation reservations. All tickets and  reservations  have a COVID cancellation insurance.

Maybe it could be cancelled, but for now its something positive to think about going to Dublin ,and seeing  Garth Brooks for the very first time. 

And if Bruce will come back to Europe next year, I will be very excited, and ready to order tickets for some concerts.

There are far more important things than attending concerts. But live music binds people, and stalls our daily troubles for some hours. Gives us energy. We need Hope, Faith, and ......Bruce :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

All true! And like you say: any resemblance with the 1918 Flu regarding its course is not yet true. And that's where the hope comes in. While there's definately differences, many virologists and epidemiologists think that the virus itself could behave in a similar way to many other viruses: become more transmissible, but less deadly. And I put my hope in them. If it turns out they were wrong, I'll just get high, become indifferent to it for at least that one evening and go from there. ;)

Yeah, you're right, the Washington Post article is from September 2020, a few months before the start of the worldwide vaccination. And the vaccination (including boosters) is definitely a game changer. While awaiting further information about the new strain, here are some figures that vaccinated people are 2 to 14 times less likely to end up in intensive care with Covid-19. Those numbers are provided by Belgian federal Corona Commissioner Pedro Facon.

Intensive care admissions per 100,000 people in each age group between 18 and 31 October 2021 (cyan is vaccinated, red is non-vaccinated)

1131141317_Intensivecareadmissions.thumb.PNG.30470fe00122cbe69d47aeeee32ec870.PNG

Among 18 to 64-year-olds, fully vaccinated people had to be admitted to intensive care 14 times fewer in between 18 and 31 October than non-vaccinated. This was 4.5 times less among 65 to 84-year-olds, and 2 times less among the over-85s. Here, too, the effect decreases with age, which shows the vulnerability of the oldest population groups. The effect of the vaccines is more difficult to determine in younger patients. No one has been vaccinated between the ages of 0 and 11, and no children between the ages of 12 and 17 have been in intensive care in the past two weeks.

1 hour ago, NL73 said:

Last week I was lucky to obtain tickets for Garth Brooks Croke Park in September 2022.

Garth Brooks was one of my most favorite concerts ever, such fun, laughing, a bit of crying but pure energy. Hopefully you get what we got a couple years back now. 

As far as Covid goes, get vax'ed, live your lives! 

22 hours ago, Eileen said:

Not quite. My fandom waning has nothing to do with putting the health of others as a priority. It was ever thus.

I won't be going to concerts (or football matches) cos I haven't done either for ages ... the virus hasn't made a difference.

My great-uncle Ernie died in 1918, aged 18, but the War didn't see him off.  The Spanish Flu did.  

Whatever you do, do it as safely as you can. Hope everyone has fun this coming year.

I don't do concerts anymore either, haven't for about 5 years, I'm done.  A lifetime of seeing all kinds of great bands for 50 years has been fantastic.  It all does kind of change as you get older, not the same as younger days.  Still love the music and always will.

With different countries having different restrictions now with Omicrud I think it's almost impossible for bands to make touring plans, countries are locking down again.  By the new year everyone will know a lot more about how this variant acts.  Hopefully, it isn't a game changer like Delta has been. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Possible announcement today?

There are strong rumours that Springsteen is playing Mad Cool Festival (Madrid in July) and they have hinted that there is an announcment at 5.00 pm today (Spanish time), 11.00 am Eastern. Mind you, their social media often leaves a lot to be desired - could be something totally irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, kevtam said:

Possible announcement today?

There are strong rumours that Springsteen is playing Mad Cool Festival (Madrid in July) and they have hinted that there is an announcment at 5.00 pm today (Spanish time), 11.00 am Eastern. Mind you, their social media often leaves a lot to be desired - could be something really irrelevant.

the Mad Cool Festival has some other acts to announce as well.

don't think it will be usefull info to us?

29 minutes ago, DennisvdBr said:

the Mad Cool Festival has some other acts to announce as well.

don't think it will be usefull info to us?

Yeah, could be nothing, but they really only have two headliners left to announce and the hint specifically mentions day 5 (the day that Springsteen would play).

Like I said, probably nothing, but we need something to get excited about in these miseable times!

59DD2074-7825-4DA4-8ED0-7A153CB92AFA.png.05a61670e47070bf54defd6f06470187.png

• Bruuuuce! 1

19 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

I don't do concerts anymore either, haven't for about 5 years, I'm done.  A lifetime of seeing all kinds of great bands for 50 years has been fantastic.  It all does kind of change as you get older, not the same as younger days.  Still love the music and always will.

With different countries having different restrictions now with Omicrud I think it's almost impossible for bands to make touring plans, countries are locking down again.  By the new year everyone will know a lot more about how this variant acts.  Hopefully, it isn't a game changer like Delta has been. 

Hi there. Are you done with all types of concerts or just big ones ? I know that 50 years of gigs is good going but I really hope I never get to the stage that I decide: that’s it, I’m done (unless it’s for I’ll health). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kevtam said:

Yeah, could be nothing, but they really only have two headliners left to announce and the hint specifically mentions day 5 (the day that Springsteen would play).

Like I said, probably nothing, but we need something to get excited about in these miseable times!

59DD2074-7825-4DA4-8ED0-7A153CB92AFA.png.05a61670e47070bf54defd6f06470187.png

imo they are saying "5 days" not "5th day"... so i'm not that convinced

20 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

I don't do concerts anymore either, haven't for about 5 years, I'm done

think i am done as well.  my first gig was the stones in hyde park 1969 and never stopped till i had kids that sure puts the brake on. just had about 14 years of Bruce tours, sadly everything is hard work nowadays and by the time we get a tour if ever, i probably wont be bothered, plenty of stuff to read and listen too in my dotage I will be happy with that

• Like 1

No Bruce at Mad Cool... looks like that festival announcement is cancelled instead of delayed. Very curious.. Mad Cool hinted many times that Bruce would play the sunday headliner spot. Jack White was named as his support act. 

Very curious if the whole tour is cancelled, or it's only the concert at Mad Cool... (hope 2nd is the case)

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

think i am done as well.  my first gig was the stones in hyde park 1969 and never stopped till i had kids that sure puts the brake on. just had about 14 years of Bruce tours, sadly everything is hard work nowadays and by the time we get a tour if ever, i probably wont be bothered, plenty of stuff to read and listen too in my dotage I will be happy with that

Your first gig was at the Stones Hyde Park 69 show, what a great first show to be at, excellent start :) I've watched that concert. 

My first show was Jethro Tull in 1970 in Chicago, saw the Stones in 1972.  

Can you find yourself in the crowd ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flagofpiracy said:

My first show was Jethro Tull in 1970 in Chicago, saw the Stones in 1972.  

Mine was 1967 - Monkees. Later the same year, on one bill, The Who/Traffic/Tremeloes/Marmalade. 

I never saw the Stones (Beatles fan) but my kids did.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Mine was 1967 - Monkees. Later the same year, on one bill, The Who/Traffic/Tremeloes/Marmalade. 

I never saw the Stones (Beatles fan) but my kids did.

Hey, Hey we're The Monkees, loved them, cool you got to see them.  Saw The Who in 75.  I loved The Tremeloes and Marmalade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dublinpaul said:

Hi there. Are you done with all types of concerts or just big ones ? I know that 50 years of gigs is good going but I really hope I never get to the stage that I decide: that’s it, I’m done (unless it’s for I’ll health). 

It becomes too much of a hassle.  Then the cost of tickets, parking, trying to get tickets, dealing with the crowds.  It's just a different vibe when you're older, not as exciting, more like work LOL.  My last show was U2 2017.    

• Like 2