Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen hints at 2022 tour, assures E Street Band will be at its peak

771t1zmzgeg71.thumb.jpg.7f0829765dbc7215035ada81181e6cd0.jpg

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

Well, at least their “peak” since the last time he said they were at their “peak”.:rolleyes:

Jump in the Delorean, we are headed to 8/9/1978 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

To me the interpretation of at their peak means still being able to put on a show that is worthy of Bruce & E Street at their current stage in life,that for instance they're not yet at the point of someone like Phil Collins who looked like he'd just been wheeled in from an old folks home from the pictures posted on here,yes Bruce isn't likely to be jumping off pianos these days but he's not just going to sit there singing Badlands or Born To Run.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

To me the interpretation of at their peak means still being able to put on a show that is worthy of Bruce & E Street at their current stage in life,that for instance they're not yet at the point of someone like Phil Collins who looked like he'd just been wheeled in from an old folks home from the pictures posted on here,yes Bruce isn't likely to be jumping off pianos these days but he's not just going to sit there singing Badlands or Born To Run.

“Worthy” (as you said), “satisfactory”, or “acceptable” etc. are not “peak”.  Sure the band members are 70+ years old and everything that comes with that, but that doesn’t mean we get to relax the definition of “peak”.

• Thanks 1

Well, if the forced hiatus allowed the E Streetters to cure their ailments, I see no reason why the band shouldn't the be at their "peak" (or, and much more reasonably, as good as they were in the recent past). It is not that playing their pop-rock music requires particular strengths. It's a matter of proficiency rather than muscular power. Unfortunately, things may be quite different for the leading singer.   

I doubt their musical skills are more than a few rehearsals and shows away from being as good as they have ever been.

What is clearly a question to me is the physicality of the kind of tour we are hoping for and if these people can still do that.

Anyone involved in the music touring business will tell you the "audience is heavenly, but the traveling is hell."  (old folks reference there)

Even with private planes and the best of care, it is still a lot of different beds, cars, planes and irregular schedule challenges between the shows.  It isn't easy at any age, but I would expect it is much harder in your 70's.   I am pretty sure we won't see back to back nights anymore, probably not 3-4 shows a week as I would expect more like 4-5  in a two week period, with 2 "off days" between shows.  I would also guess we would see some "vacation" periods of 5+ days where they can get some extra recuperation.

This might not sound like a big deal, but the costs of a long tour (the only way he gets to all the cities that want him) multiply when you add days off.  The venue costs remain the same, but traveling that many staff/roadies and having them ALL rest for multiple days gets very expensive.  Yes, Bruce "can afford it" but a traveling circus the size the EStreet band tours with is expensive and days off are still days paid for everyone.  That might mean we get a shorter tour, less cities and less traveling.  I am certain the team is already working on what a plan like that would look like

Like you, I am excited about one more tour - but I am expecting to have to travel to see Bruce and not thinking we will get him in every city.  A "NYC Stand" type of tour might be the final decision, have them play multiple shows in the biggest cities and let the people come to him as opposed to 90 cities and the tour coming to all of us.

• Like 6

To be honest, at this point, I have no desire to see the ESB again, for many of the reasons that MrTrouble referenced. E Street shows live on Bruce's physicality and showmanship. I already skipped the 2016 tour even though I could have easily attended a show or two - seeing videos from that tour was one of the reasons I didn't go (others being rather uninteresting setlists for the Euro shows and my fanaticism scaling down a bit). I was quite shocked by Bruce's immobility, it was like he went from basically ageless to old man in those two years prior. He needed until the last leg to halfway being his old stage self... in the end, I decided I wanted to remember the band and Bruce the way they were....

I have no doubt that it would be musically top notch, but a big part of the show will be missing. That, I think, is guaranteed.

I just hope they don't fall into the trap of doing that one last tour just for the sake of it.

Bring it on Bruce

i was at the last ESB show, in that seemingly now far away world of before covid,  and i know you'll  do everything you can to keep your promise "we'll be back"

• Like 1

Keith Richards trots out the same line every time The Stones tour. 'At their peak'? Peak of what? As others have mentioned, whatever occurred between 2014-2016, even if it was just Father Time catching up with Bruce, it happened. I personally haven't been interested in any contemporary tours since 2012, after that it just seemed like diminishing returns. It would be nice to think the band would scale it down to arenas, maybe even theatres, but I doubt that will happen.

From the few bits and pieces I've heard, Bruce's voice sounds so croaky now, I can't see it filling a stadium, but lights and sound can compensate for a lot; Letter To You sounded great, albeit a little heavy on the reverb. I can see them employing a model used by bands like The Rolling Stones; shorter clusters of dates, rather than long protracted tours. At their peak though? Peak for a group of septuagenarians maybe.

9 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

From the few bits and pieces I've heard, Bruce's voice sounds so croaky now, I can't see it filling a stadium, but lights and sound can compensate for a lot; Letter To You sounded great, albeit a little heavy on the reverb.

I don't think his voice would be the problem - a lot of "the old man voice" is intentional, and a singing voice needs regular using. He will likely sound just fine once they start rehearsing and he screams a little dust off of his vocal cords. They're like a muscle - you don't use 'em, they'll be less flexible/powerful...start exercising/singing, and they will soon go back to normal.

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

I don't think his voice would be the problem - a lot of "the old man voice" is intentional, and a singing voice needs regular using. He will likely sound just fine once they start rehearsing and he screams a little dust off of his vocal cords. They're like a muscle - you don't use 'em, they'll be less flexible/powerful...start exercising/singing, and they will soon go back to normal.

Good point, though at the same time, range does decrease with age.

14 hours ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

To be honest, at this point, I have no desire to see the ESB again, for many of the reasons that MrTrouble referenced. E Street shows live on Bruce's physicality and showmanship. I already skipped the 2016 tour even though I could have easily attended a show or two - seeing videos from that tour was one of the reasons I didn't go (others being rather uninteresting setlists for the Euro shows and my fanaticism scaling down a bit). I was quite shocked by Bruce's immobility, it was like he went from basically ageless to old man in those two years prior. He needed until the last leg to halfway being his old stage self... in the end, I decided I wanted to remember the band and Bruce the way they were....

I have no doubt that it would be musically top notch, but a big part of the show will be missing. That, I think, is guaranteed.

I just hope they don't fall into the trap of doing that one last tour just for the sake of it.

What a strange world.

Of all the shows I have been to the 2016 show was the one I enjoyed the most.

• Like 2

I just want to see Bruce as many times as I can before he stops forever.

The 2016 tour was strange one, as it was touring behind the 36th anniversary of an album, but I thought he sounded great on that tour as did the band and I saw two fabulous shows in Manchester and Glasgow.

There is no doubt there will be shorter shows on the next tour, with more one city stands, and I also think there will be more backing vocalists onstage, but I don't care. It will still be great. Hopefully get quite a few Letter to you songs played and possibly a couple or more from Western Stars.

Hope they announce something soon though. 

• Like 2

Bruce's stock phrase about the band being 'at its peak' during tour x is this decade's 'in some fashion'.

Hopefully they work on the new material a bit more - no surprise that the performance of Ghosts on SNL seems to have vanished into the ether... never to be spoken about (or rather heard) again. 

55 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

Bruce's stock phrase about the band being 'at its peak' during tour x is this decade's 'in some fashion'.

Hopefully they work on the new material a bit more - no surprise that the performance of Ghosts on SNL seems to have vanished into the ether... never to be spoken about (or rather heard) again. 

Yeah, cringed like f*** during that performance to be honest.

Not his best.

I also feel his performance of I'll See You in my Dreams at the 9/11 memorial was a little concerning, very weak.

I remain confident that he will prepare himself and the band fully for whatever tour they decide.

Faith will be rewarded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

Maybe it has to do with SNL, the scene of the infamous 57 Channels odd performance.

21 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I can see them employing a model used by bands like The Rolling Stones; shorter clusters of dates, rather than long protracted tours. At their peak though? Peak for a group of septuagenarians maybe.

That's what I'm thinking, a tour similar to what the Stones are doing now.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, Sean McNeill said:

What a strange world.

Of all the shows I have been to the 2016 show was the one I enjoyed the most.

i kick myself every day for not making some kind of effort to get to a river 16 tour show :(